• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dead at 68: Christie Blatchford

What a loss!  RIP Christie.  If ever there was a true champion of the CAF, it was Christie.

Brutal - she was a first class journalist.

RIP Christie.

One of the last great journalists,and an ally of the CAF, may she rest in peace

I've enjoyed reading her stories for over 45 years.

She was a reporter and columnist for every major newspaper in Toronto.

RIP Christie

Sad news that.  One of the diminishing number of columnists that I regularly read.

I'll miss her.

One of our most supportive and loyal reporters, RIP Christie.

One of the last journalists you could trust to tell the truth. RIP.

She wasn't blindly loyal to the CAF;  if she saw stupid, she'd call it.

I got to be media point-of-contact during a troubling period* and she was amazing (the other journalist out of Toronto -- who, as near as I can tell never actually left Toronto or even phoned anyone -- just stole oxygen and wrote biased, ill-informed opinion pieces, masquerading as journalism;  to this day, I wouldn't bother waiting in line to piss on her).

Sadly, I feel that we're down to two main-stream journalists who I personally respect on military/national security reporting.  :not-again:

RIP, you wonderfully crazy lady.  :'(

* The CO wanted "someone credible; not a PAffO."   ;D

Journeyman said:
She wasn't blindly loyal to the CAF;  if she saw stupid, she'd call it.

I got to be media point-of-contact during a troubling period* and she was amazing (the other journalist out of Toronto -- who, as near as I can tell never actually left Toronto or even phoned anyone -- just stole oxygen and wrote biased, ill-informed opinion pieces, masquerading as journalism;  to this day, I wouldn't bother waiting in line to piss on her).

Sadly, I feel that we're down to two main-stream journalists who I personally respect on military/national security reporting.  :not-again:

RIP, you wonderfully crazy lady.  :'(

* The CO wanted "someone credible; not a PAffO."   ;D

This is why I respected her journalism. While she was supportive of the CAF and its people, she was not blind to its faults. Her criticism was nearly always fair (there was one piece she did on the Reserves that was maybe a bit wide of the mark) and she did her research. That she humped a ruck in Afghanistan in her 50s, in bandit country, to get the story right speaks volumes.

I will miss her, too.

From what I recall, she was also well regarded by the local emergency services.

Back