• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dark Blue Berets return

milnews.ca said:
This is a thing, too?
British Foot Guards adopted the khaki beret in the ‘70s. It was never a unique thing in Canada, but the tribal identities are more important than the national identity so we will copy the British.

Some of you may of missed ot but they didnt actually start shipping till last week the blue berets. Just got mine, darker then i thought it would be

Fishbone Jones said:
:sarcasm:Welcome to Red Meat for the Masses.

:Tin-Foil-Hat: It would almost appear from this angle, all these little perks, if that's what you want to call them, the beardforgen, berets, special uniforms for special people and others, all appear to be almost scheduled. Rolled out singly and with great fanfare. Like tossing a rabid racoon into the nursery.

Every time the tribe gets restless, another little button or bow pops up to take the heat and divert the savages. For years, every time we were in crisis mode, someone mentioned boots and all the bad went back in the closet for a bit. They solved that one after about 20 years and they haven't settled on which clothing or equipment crisis they can now move into that magical, mythical spot. :Tin-Foil-Hat:

Meanwhile... Scottish units  :cheers:

Is this the Royal Blue or whatever? I think they sent a survey on it around years back or something like that?

The new berets are a dark blue not a royal blue. I was helping out with RCEME when it was being worked on years ago and got a royal blue beret from the UK. It was declined at that time as costly but I guess when the Artillery got in on it it was worth it. The UK beret is a real blue, the new one I just got is almost black. I will get a picture of the two in sunlight and post it later,

Gunplumber said:
The new berets are a dark blue not a royal blue. I was helping out with RCEME when it was being worked on years ago and got a royal blue beret from the UK. It was declined at that time as costly but I guess when the Artillery got in on it it was worth it. The UK beret is a real blue, the new one I just got is almost black. I will get a picture of the two in sunlight and post it later,

It's midnight blue like our accents on our mess kit, but yes a very dark blue.  All the stake holders decided to use the same dark blue as the Brit Corps do, we are now calling it "Army Blue" officially

Jon

Old EO Tech said:
It's midnight blue like our accents on our mess kit, but yes a very dark blue.  All the stake holders decided to use the same dark blue as the Brit Corps do, we are now calling it "Army Blue" officially

Jon

So...almost indistinguishable from the Armoured and RCN black berets?  :stirpot:

Dimsum said:
So...almost indistinguishable from the Armoured and RCN black Scouts Canada dark blue berets?  :stirpot:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Scouts-Canada-Blue-Wool-Nylon-Beret-Hat-Junior-Med-55cm-Official-Scouts-/292629054633

Fixed that.

Dimsum said:
So...almost indistinguishable from the Armoured and RCN black berets?  :stirpot:
Pretty much.
Mine came in the mail today and I thought they made a mistake and sent a black one until I looked at it under a bright light

sidemount said:
Pretty much.
Mine came in the mail today and I thought they made a mistake and sent a black one until I looked at it under a bright light

So not very different from the (already issued) RCN beret, then?

It may look different in the daylight outside. But indoors, it looked pretty black to me. Might take it to work and compare it to my navy per's berets.

Gunplumber said:
Interesting. The one I received is unmistakably blue. Not dark enough to be mistaken for black. Compared mine to buddy’s naval beret. Very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CF green beret is one of the last items of dress remaining from the disaster of unification. The move by some Army units to return to a blue beret is correcting a past mistake. The real reason of course is that Army units can't stand looking like one another. 

Personally, I think we need more deck chairs aft of the four funnels.

Journeyman said:
Personally, I think we need more deck chairs aft of the four funnels.

Aft?  Pffft.  They obviously go *in line with* the funnels....

:trainwreck:

AlDazz said:
The CF green beret is one of the last items of dress remaining from the disaster of unification. The move by some Army units to return to a blue beret is correcting a past mistake. The real reason of course is that Army units can't stand looking like one another a Post-Unification Army.

There, FTFY :)

Having a green berets saved my ass in Ft Lewis one year when some big black dudes wanted a fight and one them said "Whoa, these dudes are Green Berets, better not mess with them" and they took off, didn't think it was timely or useful to correct him.

AlDazz said:
The CF green beret is one of the last items of dress remaining from the disaster of unification.

The other, of course, being the entire Army DEU aside from pips and crowns. 

Back