• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Danner Boots - Personal Observations

North Star

Reaction score
I just thought I'd share my experiences with Danner boots, seeing as they are reputed to be some of the best combat boots out there. I currently own three pairs: a Danner Desert Acadia (no GTX), an all-leather Acadia Elite (GTX), and an Original Striker (GTX). I had them procured for me by the system because my prescribed insoles weren't working in the issued boots. As for my military background, I am currently in a non-infantry trade but have an infantry background, so hopefully these observations will bridge the gap between comments about comfort and durability.

First, a general observation. Whatever you do, try on a pair of the Danner's you are looking at before ordering from the website. My Strikers are 9.5D, while my Desert Acadias at a 10D and my Acadia Elites a 10EE. Because the Strikers are made in China a different last is probably used compared to the US made models (the Acadias).

Now for each boot:

1) The Desert Acadia. I went to the sandbox with the Desert Acadia and a Swat Desert Boot. I rotated the boots every day, working mainly in KAF with the odd trip for a few days to the FOBs. The Swats were pretty much done by the end of the six months, and I could feel every little pebble I stepped on . The Acadias were still going strong, despite some wear in the liners about where the heelcup ends. The soles were pretty tough, although the boot itself was warmer than the Swat. I ended up wearing the Danners outside the wire, since they simply felt sturdier when I had all my kit on. Putting my old infantry hat on, I would probably not recommend the Acadia for infantry work due to the additional heat and weight, although in other roles they would be fine. Go for a lighter, more comfortable boot even at the cost of durability, and chuck it at the end of the tour.

2) Striker. When I got back from tour, I picked up a pair of Strikers despite the fact that my old pair of Swats turned me off to Chinese-made boots. However, I must say in retrospect my prejudice was unwarranted. The Striker fit my feet very well, and was very lightweight. Although I don't think it has a shank in the traditional sense, it does have a layer in the sole that provides the durability my old Swats completely lacked. The only problem was the durability of the leather. Although I was mainly working in an office, I managed to rip off chunks of the leather making the boot look a lot older than it really is. In addition, the sole wears easily. I often wonder what this boot would look like if I used it for dismounted infantry-work. In my opinion it's a good boot for police and garrison work, but I would hesitate to take it into the field.

3) Acadia Elite, All Leather. Personally, I love this boot. I've spoken to many people who don't, but this one just works for me. The leather is supple enough to not require extensive break-in, but tough enough to not flake like my Strikers. The construction is quite impressive, with consistent stitching doubled-up everywhere. It is a tad warm owing from the Gortex, but as a personal choice I'm willing to put up with that now that I'm no longer doing infantry work. If I were back in the infantry, however, I'd definitely look at the hot weather version without the Gortex. The sole and shank are tough enough to stand up to work in a field environment, although the one upset that I have is that the Acadia Elite has a "Duralogical" Vibram sole instead of a more aggressive Vibram sole. Regardless I think these boots will last a long time and provide a relative degree of comfort.

To sum it all up, I think that Danners are worth the extra cash. However, don't expect them to be the ultimate boot. You have to weigh numerous factors when deciding on a boot, and it almost always involves a series of tradeoffs. The Acadias sacrifice weight for durability, while the Strikers appear to be the opposite. For the sandbox, if you are likely to be working mainly in garrison the Desert Acadias are pretty good. However, if you are going to be in the field you may want to examine lighter options and sacrifice the durability.

When I was in 2VP we were doing work up training for our tour of Croatia in 1993.  I had bought a pair of the Danner "Fort Lewis" boots at the PX.(the base we were training at was Fort Ord, California). 
The day after I bought the boots we did a 10 km forced march.  I took the boots out of the box and did the march. It was like wearing Nike Airs.  Not even a hot spot at the end of it.  They are really great foot wear.

On a slightly related note, I hunt a lot, and most of my hunting is in the Sonoran Desert. I have been years trying to find comfortable boots that stood up. I splurged and bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns last year and they are by far the best pair of boots I have ever owned.

I wear Strikers - when Danner discontinued the non-Goretex version I bought three pairs at a ridiculously low clearance price.  I've had no problems with them, but they are somewhat "disposable" in that they can't be resoled, and the TerraForce soles do wear down.  I've found they accomodate my orthotics well, and like someone above said, they don't need breaking in, they fit perfectly right out of the box.  I have a pair of Acadia Elites coming soon that should be nice, but they're a lot heavier, there's something to be said for lightweight tactical boots.

I managed to have a pair of Magnums "fall off the truck" recently, and I just did a BFT in them, no problems at all, in fact I almost find them more comfortable than the Strikers.  Because I have a really strange heel strike, the way they're shaped takes some of the shock out of the step, so I might switch to them - but since I'm getting the Acadias for $60 (subsidized by insurance and by prescription) I'll try them out too and see how they go.

Although I'm not military (yet! still working on it...) I own a pair of Danner Acadia Elite black leather boots. I do a lot of security and protective work, in all sorts of enviornments and these boots are amazing. Snow, heat, rain, water, it doesn't matter. They're consistantly comfortable and they hold up to the weather perfectly.

Granted, I'm sure a boot standing up to my work, versus standing up to a tour in the Middle East, is very different, but still ;)

I have a pair of their desert boots and they are far and away the most comfortable footwear I have ever worn.  A little on the heavier side, but they were good to go right out of the box.

Infanteer said:
I have a pair of their desert boots and they are far and away the most comfortable footwear I have ever worn.  A little on the heavier side, but they were good to go right out of the box.

That's funny, when I got mine in Afghanistan, I would have rather worn the box.

Most companies cannot make a boot to fit small and/or women's feet.  As much as everyone bit*hed about the Boulets, they were the ones I wore and found comfortable (1/2 a size too big, mind you).

ArmyVern said:
Boot Allowance ...

'Nuff said.

Unfortunately that won't happen because Canadian companies would not get government contracts.  After all, its not about the end user requirements, its about jobs, and jobs are about votes!

But I agree with you.  Then I could get my Matterhorn 10' field boots (and not pay out of pocket).  :D

Is that the reason, or is it because it will make RSMs' heads explode if we don't all look exactly the same?  A boot allowance would make a million times more sense, since it seems to be the one standard that everyone bends over backward to get out of.

Eye In The Sky said:
Unfortunately that won't happen because Canadian companies would not get government contracts.  After all, its not about the end user requirements, its about jobs, and jobs are about votes!

But I agree with you.  Then I could get my Matterhorn 10' field boots (and not pay out of pocket).   :D

Well its a combination of both IMO...militarily, some RSMs would keel over.

Politically, those contracts to places like the folks making the Air Force CWWBs keep Canadians paid, and food on peoples tables, and those people are voting Canadians.

I used the Danners Battalions and SWATs over there, and the battalions rocked all the way.  I recommend them.

Eye In The Sky said:
Well its a combination of both IMO...militarily, some RSMs would keel over.

Politically, those contracts to places like the folks making the Air Force CWWBs keep Canadians paid, and food on peoples tables, and those people are voting Canadians.

Yes, I've heard that argument before. But, consider this: MOST of us are going to walk into the store and pick up boots. They could be Danners, Swats, Matterhorns --- whatever works for the individual. They may be "American Made" vice "Canadian Made" but that Canadian Store that carries them that we're purchasing those boots at ... well it's keeping those Canadian voting employees paid, fed etc too isn't it??

Unfortunately, they are called Industrial Regional Benefits (IRB), not Retailers Regional Benefits.

Ecco said:
Unfortunately, they are called Industrial Regional Benefits (IRB), not Retailers Regional Benefits.

Yes, I know. Either way - they're Canadians (for the most part).

Redeye said:
Is that the reason, or is it because it will make RSMs' heads explode if we don't all look exactly the same?  A boot allowance would make a million times more sense, since it seems to be the one standard that everyone bends over backward to get out of.

Looking around Pet, you'd almost not see the same boot twice! 

Also, if you ask around, there are dozens of pers who have now gotten off-the-street boots courtesy of the supply system.  (This is for the tan boots.)  Alot of people had trouble with the issued ones...just ask the supply techs that got the joy of taking pictures of wrecked feet to accompany the reports and chits.  It is a Pembroke store that is the current supplier.  You go in to check out sizes (choice of SWATs or 5.11s), take the purchase order back to supply and voila, boots in 2-3 weeks with no money out of your own pocket.

Maybe if the Canadian boot companies stoppedb whining and moaning and bitXXing about foreign boots, and started to make improvements, and changes and innovations in their desgins, they'd still have Canadian business. Instead of rellying on government contratcs to survive. Which in any good business knows, is a poor strategy.

MedTech said:
Maybe if the Canadian boot companies stoppedb whining and moaning and bitXXing about foreign boots, and started to make improvements, and changes and innovations in their desgins, they'd still have Canadian business. Instead of rellying on government contratcs to survive. Which in any good business knows, is a poor strategy.

How dare you utter common sense!  Unless you are going overseas you had better return that common sense to the QM immediately.

My brand new danners were awesome, probably the best desert boots I tried on.

I thought I could squeeze by with an EE width but sadly no luck.  Worst still they don't come in W sizes (for their new tfx ones) so now I have a pair of awesome boots collecting dust.

Danner should offer wider boots than EE

Back