• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

D-Day, 14th Field Regiment, 4th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment

bandslak

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been compiling a listing of the men in my dad's WW2 unit, the 4th LAA Regiment and the 14th Field Regiment. The listing is from various sources and so far I have 1754 men.
I have acquired the service numbers for approximately 962 of these men. These service numbers have come from a document sent to me by someone (unfortunately my main computer quit on me and I cannot look up  the person who sent it to me) and is titled "4 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment RCA, Part II Orders Issued by Canadian Section GHQ 2nd Echelon, 21 Army Group". On the left side it indicates "Last Order, No. 30, 11 Jul 44" and on the right side "No. 31, 12 Jul 44".
At the top of the page someone has written "War Diary". The document is a listing of the Embarkation and Disembarkation of the D-Day landings for the 4th.
I do have copies of the Diaries for the 4th which do not include this additional listing so I am a bIt confused.
I am wondering if anyone out there would have a similar D-Day listing for the 14th Field that they could share or might be aware  of where I might be able to obtain one.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks......Brian

I have a copy of the 14th Field's history, but it only mentions a few names - casualties, those decorated and some in the text. You may have to contact Library and Archives Canada to see if/how they can help.

They are likely available for all D-Day units if you can track down Pt II Orders for them.  I have a list for the Reginas.  Note Pt II Orders are not typically part of the War Diary at LAC, they are held separately.  While the War Diary is open to all researchers, Pt II Orders are classed "Restricted" and subject to privacy legislation, etc.  You can get to them in Ottawa (" I am working to compile a D-Day nominal roll for 14 Fd"), but there is some hoop jumping required via ATIP.  I would try the RCA Museum at Shilo first, along with any City/Provincial Archive that might be associated with the Regt (or less probably, any of its Btys).  It seems there was an extra copy of Pt II Orders that want back to the unit and may be preserved there or at a related archive.  Based on limited experience, they may be less fussy about privacy.  I don't have a huge issue with privacy stuff, but it's silly in this case as there is little in Pt II Orders that can't be teased out elsewhere.

bandslak said:
I have been compiling a listing of the men in my dad's WW2 unit, the 4th LAA Regiment and the 14th Field Regiment. The listing is from various sources and so far I have 1754 men.
I have acquired the service numbers for approximately 962 of these men. These service numbers have come from a document sent to me by someone (unfortunately my main computer quit on me and I cannot look up  the person who sent it to me) and is titled "4 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment RCA, Part II Orders Issued by Canadian Section GHQ 2nd Echelon, 21 Army Group". On the left side it indicates "Last Order, No. 30, 11 Jul 44" and on the right side "No. 31, 12 Jul 44".
At the top of the page someone has written "War Diary". The document is a listing of the Embarkation and Disembarkation of the D-Day landings for the 4th.
I do have copies of the Diaries for the 4th which do not include this additional listing so I am a bIt confused.
I am wondering if anyone out there would have a similar D-Day listing for the 14th Field that they could share or might be aware  of where I might be able to obtain one.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks......Brian

My Dad was with the 4th LAA Regt from 1941 onwards. I'd be keen to see anything you turn up about the unit!

Back