• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Custom Commemorative Family Medal

Wookilar

Inactive
Reaction score
(mods, please move if there is a better sub-board for it...not that you need my permission or anything lol)

Has anyone seen this: Custom Commemorative Family Medal from Canex
http://www.canex.ca/custom-commemorative-family-medal.html?utm_source=CANEX+Newsletter&utm_campaign=48795274b3-Newsletter_39_EN9_19_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_798a07702a-48795274b3-249056861&mc_cid=48795274b3&mc_eid=a1aaa6bd6a#

I'm not sure what I think of it.... more importantly I'm really not sure what NinerD will think of it...

Opinions?

When I got the e-mail from CANEX announcing it, the first thing I thought was "Great.  Now it isn't just the RCL allowing people to purchase their own medals...".

Edit to add:  I'm talking about this:
Canadan%20150.jpg

Well sir....know I really know what I think of it. I hadn't put it in that kind of context.

I see value in a gag gift...but if I came home one day and handed my wife a medal for being a military spouse (when she was one, at least), I'm pretty sure she'd think I'd lost it.  It would become one more item that wouldn't see the light of day, stuffed in a drawer somewhere. 

Kinda like the Actifry I bought her for our anniversary.  Who knew that even though kitchen appliances are listed as the modern 4th anniversary gift, that if you actually buy one, you vastly decrease your chances of reaching a 5th anniversary?

This was in my email...

http://www.canex.ca/custom-commemorative-family-medal.html?utm_source=CANEX+Newsletter&utm_campaign=48795274b3-Newsletter_39_EN9_19_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_798a07702a-48795274b3-248356781&mc_cid=48795274b3&mc_eid=c07ee52b24

bahaha I was thinking mine would react the same.

In all seriousness, we've had a number of discussions over the years as to how to "properly" recognize the spouse's (and family's) contribution..when my OC gave her her roses at my DWD I loudly whispered that she was allergic and the poor guy nearly went into shock lol.

In PSP's defence, they do say at the bottom of the webpage that it is a "commemorative medal" and is to be worn on the right side of the chest.

We must have had a lot of Polish Aristocracy emigrate to Canada, or so it would seem, with all these medals starting to show up.  Perhaps the Grand Dukedom of Pomerania and Livonia would be more appealing?

I used to laugh at those people who paid money for Polish titles that included a medal or award of some sort, so that they could add a list of post-nominal titles on a business card.  Now it seems that practice is now here. 

Perhaps, CANEX will come out with some Baronet, Dukedom, or other regal titles that we can purchase.  Who knows?  A trend seems to have started.

[:D

Duke Wookilar of Annapolis..... I don't know George, I kind of like the sound of that  ;D

edit: new email from PSP...pic shows the medal on the left. Lady suitably dressed in black  ::)

That's lame. And yet some odd ducks will buy it, I'm sure.

Does it really hurt anyone if somebody gets a couple of these so their kids feel some sort of recognition for all that time mom or dad is away?

Sort of on topic ... but showing that wives (used to) have a sense of humour.

Staff college was, broadly, not a pleasant experience while we were doing it; it all sounds grand, now, decades later, over pints in the mess, but ...  [:'(

If it was bad for us it could be hell on wives. We had, often, been busy on regimental duty, sometimes a bit too busy to do our fair share of the "family work," but staff college took that to a whole new level, especially for couples with small children.

Anyway when we finished staff college we were allowed to add yet more post-nominals to our names ~ psc, ptsc, pfsc, etc, depending upon which college one attended and for how long. The wives used to have a bang up end of course party in at least some of the colleges in which, amongst other things, they all bought home their own "graduation scrolls" with the post-nominal phtsc, which stood for "pushed hubby through staff college." And, by golly, they earned it all ... the big party (which made a substantial addition to each husband's mess bill .. who knew champagne and fancy desserts could be that expensive?) and the knowledge that they were (partially, sometimes largely) responsible for making a bunch of ordinary army officers better then anyone thought they could be.

We were roaring with laughter at this today in the office.  My boss wants to buy one for his cat who's always been supportive of him.  I said I wanted to see him pin it on her.  That would be a show to watch.

My wife would lose her shit if I handed her that, don't think I could get out of gun range fast enough.

You realize now some Walt is going to show up on a Remembrance Day parade sporting one of these medals on "his" tunic next to "his" jump wings and pathfinder badge
Yes, very much tongue in cheek  ;D

Tom

No, I'll wear it on the right side of my tunic underneath my command badge.

I saw this today and we all had a laugh at work. What an absolute joke. Some dependa thought this up so s/he could wear it on their "My spouse defends your freedom" 4XL T-Shirt at the MFRC.

You know that those ladies who left here in a huff are still lurking around somewhere and likely took offence to that.  They will be going on a rampage on reddit now.

PuckChaser said:
Some dependa thought this up so s/he could wear it on their "My spouse defends your freedom" 4XL T-Shirt at the MFRC.

Attachments

• deprived.png
    deprived.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 223
jollyjacktar said:
No, I'll wear it on the right side of my tunic underneath my command badge.
Shadow box.... between my old Warrior Badge and the 1812 Pin.  If only I was worthy of a CADTC Corps  patch.

Oh the stories I could tell......    :nod:

George Wallace said:
You know that those ladies who left here in a huff are still lurking around somewhere and likely took offence to that.  They will be going on a rampage on reddit now.

The upside is they actually just go away...

Back