• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Curious

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
I was re-watching Guarding the Queen series and have seen where Guards officers in the rank of major and the odd LTC had left the Army and several years later they return to active service.Is this a common  event ? In US service you stay on active duty until you are either passed over for promotion or you retire.Thanks.

Out of curiosity I had a quick scan through "Guarding The Queen" to see what you were referring to.  I suppose it was Major (Retired) Grant Baker who is mentioned in the third episode on becoming the Regimental Adjutant of the Grenadier Guards.  My understanding of the position that he stills holds is that, since 1995, it has been filled by a retired officer of field rank who formerly served in the regiment.  While he may have some duties that require him to wear uniform and participate in some ceremonies, he isn't an actively serving officer.  Major (Ret'd) Baker was a serving Grenadier Guards officer from 1977 until his retirement from the army in 1998.

Daftandbarmy may hopefully pass this way and give his more knowledgeable thoughts.

One was a Major who was outgoing company Co,The other was Major Square and of course the fellow who became adjutant.I didn't know he had been retired.Thanks

I think the answer is that these Majors who are leaving active service and returning must be entering the reserves.

Back