• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Culture and Sport in the CF

Biathloneil

Inactive
Reaction score
Is culture and sport an effective way of presenting Canadian ideals to the world? Are we using culture and sport programing presented via the CF effectively enough to influence the various communities we come in contact with throughout the world? As Canadians we have a identifiable method of operation in the way we present ourselves and persue our tasking. Influential groups I'm referring to, but certainly not limited to are Snowbirds, CISM and regional sports programming, CFSAC team, Canadian War Artist Program, Peace Support Training Centre (CISM), SkyHawks, and various music/band programs. Please weigh in with the pluses, and minuses.
-Thanks, Neil

What priority should the Canadian Forces give to spending its budget on "influencing various communities" through culture and sports programming?

Personally, I'd rather see money spent on live fire section attacks than synchronized interpretive dance.

In general, I think we have the right level, the resources are there for when they have a role to play, but they're not the front rank.

Michael O'Leary said:
Personally, I'd rather see money spent on live fire section attacks than synchronized interpretive dance.

What an obviously hide-bound, tradition fixated, RCR worldview.

Wouldn't it be much more entertaining to combine the two?

All responces will be deemed admirable. Particularly RCR replies conceived at the OxBox ;). The two solitudes have shown up, now let's fill in the practical centre portion.

Biathloneil said:
All responces will be deemed admirable. Particularly RCR replies conceived at the OxBox ;). The two solitudes have shown up, now let's fill in the practical centre portion.

Rather than just presenting yourself as an observer and collector of opinions, why don't you start by offering your responses to the questions you posed:

Is culture and sport an effective way of presenting Canadian ideals to the world? Are we using culture and sport programing presented via the CF effectively enough to influence the various communities we come in contact with throughout the world?

Soliciting the experiences and opinions of past and present members is precisely what I'm looking for. Presently I do not have the ability to affect any positive change (this will change) and I feel that I have not effectively worked with all the details in the past. This was personally evident with 1RCR biathlon 25 yrs ago as I may have been able to provide more effective support. I believe that "If you don't know everthing that's going on, it doesn't hurt to ask those involved in the process." Hence my gathering of opinions, kind of like buying a round. Please continue as a coordinated dancing section attack could only be counter productive.
Truthfully, Neil

dapaterson said:
What an obviously hide-bound, tradition fixated, RCR worldview.

Wouldn't it be much more entertaining to combine the two?

Cadpat spandex and gortex ballerina slippers whilst making circles and 'S' shapes defined by multi coloured 10 foot streamers tightly attached to the flash hider of a C7. Leaping gayly, with tumbling and acrobatics, from fire position to fire position. Helmets are optional, but if worn, must be adorned with daisies, dandelions and other assorted wild flora. :camo:

I don't think anyone that knows me wants to see me demonstrate the above scenario. :blotto:

recceguy said:
Cadpat spandex and gortex ballerina slippers whilst making circles and 'S' shapes defined by multi coloured 10 foot streamers tightly attached to the flash hider of a C7. Leaping gayly, with tumbling and acrobatics, from fire position to fire position. Helmets are optional, but if worn, must be adorned with daisies, dandelions and other assorted wild flora. :camo:
I think this one should be added to the military quotes data-base!!!
I just pissed my pants, that is too funny, I am getting weird looks from my wife...can't stop...  :blotto: :blotto::blotto:

Back