• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)

Hello All!

Hopefully someone can answer my question.

I am currently in the PRes at HMCS Scotian and am hoping to get enrolled in the ROTP program at a civilian university next year. My problem lies in the CT part of my application. When I began, I had to send an email to NDHQ (I believe that is the right name) and waited 1 week for them to reply and say that I can go ahead and contact the CFRC with my ROTP application. With that, I booked my interview and after than (because my pers file had everything else needed) it was immediately sent to what I believe to be RMC for the selection board. I just contacted my interviewer today and said that offers have come back but because I am doing a CT, he does not have one for me because he does not receive CT offers, it is DMCA that handles that, so he simply has no clue as to if I got in or not. He explained to me the process that it involved. However, he couldn't exactly answer my main question. Did I make it to the selection board. My worry is that once its sent from the recruitment office, it will sit in the CT office, waiting months to complete, before they send it off to the board. I feel like this would be ridiculous, as it would significantly hinder any ROTP applicants who are in the PRES as if a CT doesn't happen in time, the applicant will miss the board. So my theory, and my interviewer said that might be the process would be that it gets sent off to the board first, if the board selects me, then it goes through the long process of officially transferring me.

Sorry if that is a bit messy, by I don't exactly understand it myself and hopefully someone who knows exactly whats going on will be able to help me.

Thanks a lot for your time

I know this post is a couple of days old by now, but did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, you should/should have contacted your CT file Manager at DMCA and ask THEM.  Since THEY will (or should) have the pertinent info regarding YOUR specific situation.

I have said on a previous post that right now I am currently living in America and an RMC hopeful.  I have seen many post of people joining the reserves first before going to RMC.  This would be prefect for me to get my feet wet prior to RMC.  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Well, you have to live in Canada to join the Primary Reserve. Are you planning on moving back before you head to RMC?

Yes, I would move back if I could be in the reserves and still attend RMC in the fall of 2010.

macknightcr said:
I have said on a previous post that right now I am currently living in America and an RMC hopeful.  I have seen many post of people joining the reserves first before going to RMC.  This would be prefect for me to get my feet wet prior to RMC.  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Everything else aside, you say you want into RMC in 2010.  Assuming you are honest with the PRes unit you choose (about your motivation to join) why would they waste their time on money with you knowing you are leaving in less than a year? That is assuming your application to the PRes goes well and you get processed in min time.

macknightcr said:
Yes, I would move back if I could be in the reserves and still attend RMC in the fall of 2010.

Give it a shot, some reserve time gives you a heads up to the CF and a big bump in pay when you go into ROTP. You're cutting it pretty close though. It also gives you options if you don't get accepted into ROTP (being in the 'Mo is a great way to pay your way through school, gives you the option to take some time off from school to go on tour, great training etc etc).

Everything else aside, you say you want into RMC in 2010.  Assuming you are honest with the PRes unit you choose (about your motivation to join) why would they waste their time on money with you knowing you are leaving in less than a year? That is assuming your application to the PRes goes well and you get processed in min time.

That's for the unit to decide. I told them I was considering ROTP in the future the first time I went to a CFRC and no one said boo. Neither did the unit I joined. The CO signed a letter of reccomendation for me before I was even done BMQ (5 months in).

macknightcr said:

What's your situation exactly? Canadian citizen, I assume. Finished high school, thinking you'll take a break for a year or two from school? Thinking of going to college in canada for a year, then go to RMC?

If it's the former, sure. It might be possible for you to get on a fall BMQ course, then do some unit training, maybe a driver's course, and trades training in the summer. The following year could include simply unit-level training, further (full-time) trades courses, or class B contracts (full-time, hopefully interesting and trade-related work). Second summer might be an initial officer's course, before going to RMC.
Two years from september and you could be going to RMC with some trade-related experience (hopefully related to your career choice). Up until then, you'd have to be in the enlisted ranks. You'd probably not have made corporal, but you'd continue to make your best rate of pay that you'd been entitled to from your experience in the reserves.

If you're going to school immediately, you could try to do much the same, without the option of doing any full-time work during the year. But there's no opportunity for much fulltime work; maybe a driver's course around Christmas. You might be better off going officer through the RESO program. Without access to this summer's courses, you'd have a limited leg up; you could likely get through CAP over in Gagetown during the summer, freeing up room for second language and trade-related training earlier in your summer breaks at RMC.

EDIT: So you're living in the states, and considering moving back (in the very immediate future) prior to attending RMC in 2010. Well, throw out most of option 1. You *might* be able to do your QL3 trade training during the year, if you get on a reg force course. But the timings are too damned tight. Assuming you're out of high school (are you?), I'd say go to a (Canadian) community college, get ready for real academic challenges, and try going RESO at your local unit. You might go through BMQ in the fall, get on CAP for the summer, and be a step ahead of the game for fall 2010.

Piper said:
That's for the unit to decide.

Absolutely, I never said don't do it.  Just pointing out that you have to be prepared to answer those kind of questions when the CO brings them up.  When spots are few, the CO will go with the person they think they can get the most utility out of.  Yes most units have many spots NCMs but for officers they have far less.  I am assuming since the OP is interested in RMC they would be interested in PRes officer spots as well. I could be wrong.

Cleared Hot said:
Absolutely, I never said don't do it.  Just pointing out that you have to be prepared to answer those kind of questions when the CO brings them up.  When spots are few, the CO will go with the person they think they can get the most utility out of.  Yes most units have many spots NCMs but for officers they have far less.  I am assuming since the OP is interested in RMC they would be interested in PRes officer spots as well. I could be wrong.

I figured he meant NCM, if I could go back in time I'd have joined the 'Mo as soon as I turned 16 instead of waiting a year. Regardless, joining the reserves first was one of the best decisions I ever made and I advise anyone who queries me about ROTP to do so. In addition to the benefits to the member (financially mostly) it either a) gives the CF a reg force member familiar with the workings of the reserves or b) it allows someone to try the CF and leave at far less admin and financial expense for the CF then it would if they went a year in ROTP.

Piper said:
Regardless, joining the reserves first was one of the best decisions I ever made and I advise anyone who queries me about ROTP to do so. In addition to the benefits to the member (financially mostly) it either a) gives the CF a reg force member familiar with the workings of the reserves or b) it allows someone to try the CF and leave at far less admin and financial expense for the CF then it would if they went a year in ROTP.

Agreed.  I did the RESO thing for a number of years at a unit out east before CTing a long time ago.  Back then our CO would not take any MITSIP (I don't actually know what the acronym was) because it took them so long to get trained they were often moving on before they were fully qualified.  I know (back then) HMCS Scotian in Halifax wouldn't take Res MARS applicants that were too far along in University because they couldn't guarantee they would be around for enough summers to get trained.  That was back in the time of FRP when it was harder to get in (even in the PRes) but I know times have changed.  In the end, the meeting/interview with the unit/CO is just like any other job interview, you have to make the potential employer see why you are a better applicant than the other guy.

Thanks for all of your responses, it seems I need to clear somethings up.  I am planning to attend RMC in the fall of 2010 with the ROTP program not the RETP program.  I would like to join the Reserves now, and become more accustomed to military life before going to RMC. 
I would not lie about my intentions with a Reserve Unit, if it really pissed the CO off I'm pretty sure he would have the ability to write a letter to RMC and pretty much make my application obsolete.
My situation is pretty weird.  I am 21 years old and have been living in the States since I was 9 with my parents who have been posted here from Canada.  I am a High School grad, 3.5 GPA, and have taken some classes at the University level.  The classes I took right after High School I did rather poorly in, but have since taken a few more classes and have brought my GPA up to a 3.5.  I am building my application for RMC now in hopes of them reading it first and giving me a spot.  Also I plan to move to either Halifax, NS or St. Stephen, NB and live with family until I go to school.  This is why I would like to join the reserves, I will have a lot of free time preparing myself mentally and physically for the challenges of RMC.

Hello,

Just to let you know it can take some time to go through the process of getting into the Reserves depending on how busy the local Recruiting Centre is. It could take only a month or more than three. I am just letting you know so you can plan accordingly.

macknightcr said:
Thanks for all of your responses, it seems I need to clear somethings up.  I am planning to attend RMC in the fall of 2010 with the ROTP program not the RETP program.  I would like to join the Reserves now, and become more accustomed to military life before going to RMC. 

That's great, and past decisions are past so I won't dwell much on how much more flexible things could have been if you had enlisted in time for the summer training period. But you need to understand that there's a grand total of one summer between now and fall 2010, and an RMC student is expected to be on a basic course in that summer.

What I've known friends to have done is to enroll in the RESO program as first year post-secondary students, intending to apply for RMC without any deception of their home unit. They were booked on CAP (then called "phase 2") and were in Gagetown when confirmation of their acceptance to RMC came through. The two programs did not interfere with each other, so there was no problem going on that summer's course.

This is almost ten years ago, and while courses have changed, timeframes between the end of high school and the beginning of university have not. Back then, a first year RMC student would take a 7 week BOTC part 1, iirc. If you're in the RESO program (reserve officer) while you're in the reserves, and you're able to take BMQ in the fall, you might be able to get on CAP in the summer. It's a relatively tough, field-oriented leadership course that you'd get something out of. If you're going into an army MOC, it's a course you'd be taking in the future regardless.

Hi All,

I am sorry if this question is buried somewhere in the forum.  But if anyone is in my shoes i would gladly appreciate a point in the right direction.  I served in the PRes for 4 years as a private and transferred to ROTP in 2008.  In the process of transferring the Recruting center gave me a whole lot of technical info on the new system for pay for CT's but basically said my pay would downgraded to that of an Ocdt.

My few months at CFLRS during basic i saw different situations where i saw mbrs getting their old pay etc on CT.  I questioned my ULO on this issue and he said he would look in the matter.  I was wondering of anyone else could lead me to some hard documentation or refer me to the appropriate office within the CF so i could get the ball moving.  I would also appreciate if anyone that was in my situation could put a post on how they resolved it.

Thanks in advance
BK

check out CBI 204

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/204-eng.asp

You should find all the details there

I know I am not the first one with this issue, and I know I will not be the last.  I enrolled ROTP and my COS date was Aug 2008.  It will be almost 14 months now and I continue to experience problems with my pay.  In my posting message, it is listed what I should be payed at (Pte 1, with 331 days towards my next incentive, and the CBI code was even included so we know EXACTLY what pay table is needed).  My dilema is, I have completey exhausted all my sources at my unit to resolve this issue, every senior NCO and admin officer tells me it is out of their hands and that a work ticket is in place (and it is) however I work with several clerks and from past experiences with similar issues, they are telling me it could be a few years before I see results.  I am getting paid an "approximate" of what I should be getting, however it is not full value, and I am getting taxed at a pay grade that is significantly less the what I am actually getting paid.  Basically CCPS says I am being paid as an officer cadet, and because I get more via being paid by a note, I am accumulating a negative balance, which isn't even money I owe.  So far it has worked its way up to 12k.  Given I will most likely be posted away within the year, I would like to have this resolved before I go.  As well I am expecting there to be some issues with my income tax this year, and if not this year, in the long run.  It was recomended by a colleague that I speak with my boss, who works directly for the CO/DCO, and see if someone can help me out.  I have already been through 'my other' chain of command and have gotten no where.  From what I have heard a few phone calls from someone with a little authority can speed things up in this particular situation and even solve it completely.  I am running out of options, and do not know what else to do, I have waited patiently for 14 months, but this issue is beginning to cause some problems.

I am looking for possible suggestions or advice, even a known solution, otherwise when I am posted out, I will most likely be leaving here with a pay statement saying I am negative 20k+, might have tax issues, and the problem still will not be fixed.

Thankyou
BeeDub

Hi,

first of all I have searched a great deal recently but I found nothing clear on this so I have few questions for you guys and I hope you are going to be able to help me  ;)

1. I am currently in Primary Reserve here at Rimouski, I heard it is possible to transfer from reserve to ROTP but that it is complicated and implicate a lot of paperwork. Is it true , if yes how long ( I mean an estimate) ?

2. If I ask my command center about transfering from reserve to ROTP are they going to know what I should do ( like what paper to fill, etc...) ? Or I should go to the closest CFRC ?

3. If I want to study Biochemistry, lets say at Laval University or Mcgill. Is it possible to get accepted in ROTP ?

4. Attending RMC is also something I'd like. Is it too late to apply for Chemistry/Chemical Engineering ? Is it hard to get accepted?

thank you very much, like I said I searched but could not find anything precise on my questions  :salute:

Normal RMC cadets (non ex reservists) are going to hate me for answering this but here I go.

1. SI tu est à Rimouski ( ce qui est proche d'un centre de recrutement, ce qui te facilite la vie). First off I assume you speak french but since the forum is in english I'll help out other fellas that would want to read the thread. Yes in any case, reservist, cadet or civilian the procedure is long so strat it ASAP, it lasts untill april or may, but it is still doable.

2. I would go to the recruitment center and make sure they liaise with the recruitment center. A few of my friends went throught reserves in high school and then applied at RMC (or prep year in st jean). They should know what to do and if they don't, ask them to find someone who does since it IS POSSIBLE!

3. There is no biochem at RMC (we do have life science which is close tho) but YES YOU CAN BE ROTP AT A CIVILIAN UNIVERSITY (and with your reservist pay, you stay soldat 3 so you make lots of money while studying, compared to a "normal" officer cadet).

4. I would say that if you have an average of 75% with a VERY GOOD cadet or reservist file (and extra curriculars) you will get accepted at RMC. Or else you need to have at least 80%. But don't forget now the forces are recruiting more and more, so the odds are on your side.

thanks for your reply it is very helpful. I hope it will also help people who are looking for informations about this.

p.s.: I went to the recruitment center today. I told them what I wanted to do and got scheduled a meeting with someone next tuesday.

p.s.: I'd like to thank publicly The dunnminator for his help through PMs.

Back