• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CSOR and JTF2 Physical Fitness tests - what they are, minimum standard, etc

Mike_myers said:
Oh my bad! I should have said that I don't understand why they are not unified. I am clearly not qualified enough to make such conclusion.

You're welcome. Thanks for the confirmation of your qualification to plan the PT program for the entire military.

I realize this isn't CANSOFCOM, per se, but in the interest in keeping all of the pre-selection PT info in one thread, does anyone have a public link to the CP pre-selection fitness manual?

Cheers

The goal of this thread is to have all the publicly available CANSOF PT information in one location; not every single PT test and selection program in the CF.

There are threads on Close Protection, so in the interest of keeping all the CP stuff in one spot, all info should stick in the CP threads IMO.  Anyways, the only info I've found on the internet is just the CP PT test that applicants must do. Your best bet for finding a copy of the pre selection fitness manual(if there is one) is contacting the Close Protection Unit and/or PSP staff, and seeing if they can give it to you.

toughenough said:
Rog. I've had the same results trying to find it.

IIRC it's not really all that indepth, just a a few circuit workouts, and not really hard ones.  If you pratice doing CrossFit WODs in the vein of "Murphy" as prescribed (look it up), you will get an idea of what you actually need to do to prep yourself.

RectorCR
What does your post contribute to the discussion regarding physical fitness for selection?

On the subject of physical fitness programs, here are the programs for CSOR and JTF2.

CSOR
http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Petawawa/EN/FitnessandSports/MilitaryFitness/MilitaryFitnessTesting/Documents/CSORPRESELECTIONTRAININGPROGRAMFINAL.pdf
Background info on their PT test
http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Greenwood/SiteCollectionDocuments/CSOR%20OPS%20MANUAL%202nd%20Edition.%20April%2007%20En.pdf

A physical copy of the JTF2 guide used to be available from PSP, not sure if they still have them or not.
http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Greenwood/SiteCollectionDocuments/JTF%20Pre-Fitness%20Manual%20ENG.pdf

RectorCR said:
Oh I'm sorry I thought I was on a military forum...my bad.

Still doesn't mean its on topic for the thread.

Worry about getting in first, but I've tried both of them. They are both pretty much the same.

Consolidated multiple threads re: CANSOF PT tests, to this location since a few were in the recruiting area, which is the last place anything related CANSOF should be.

Hatchet Man
Milnet.ca Staff

Hey guys,

Not sure how to ask this, but are most operators fairly big men. Like 6'0 and taller, 200 pounds and up. Are there men of more average height 5'9/5'10 who make CSOR or JTF2.

Sorry if the question sounds juvenile. After seeing the piece of CSOR (CTV I believe it was) I have found myself with a great deal of interest in CONSOFOCM.

methionine said:
Hey guys,

Not sure how to ask this, but are most operators fairly big men. Like 6'0 and taller, 200 pounds and up. Are there men of more average height 5'9/5'10 who make CSOR or JTF2.

Sorry if the question sounds juvenile. After seeing the piece of CSOR (CTV I believe it was) I have found myself with a great deal of interest in CONSOFOCM.

You could replay the video and conduct a height-based statistical assessment of special operator height.  Hint: the Commanding Officer of CSOR was not 6'0". ;)

I did realize that actually!

Still battalion sized unit, small sample size and such ;D

methionine said:
Hey guys,

There is no physical requirement to be an operator in CANSOFCOM, except for a thinking brain and a courageous heart. That CSOR det featured on CTV W5 seemed tall because Mercedes Stevenson is not.

Doing the fitness check for the pre-selection program......I think I collapsed a vertebra attempting the long jump on a wet soccer field....that a good start?  haha

rogersd902 said:
Doing the fitness check for the pre-selection program......I think I collapsed a vertebra attempting the long jump on a wet soccer field....that a good start?  haha

You know we have mine clearing technology now that doesn't require the ability to do the long jump, right? :)

Luckily for me the need for a mine clearing device is Canada is low to begin with....but perhaps you should email the folks who set the fitness requirements.  Ha

Upon my search for the pre-screening physical fitness test I have for CSOR and JTF2 and both seem semi-outdated. I found two CSOR versions (one and two) however both reference the CF Expres Manual for instructions how to perform the different exercises they prescribe for the test. Also the JTF2 one (link) has a similar evaluation but has the instructions included on the page. I am quite sure the CSOR I found is outdated (since the CF Expres was no longer administered since April 2014) and I have suspicions that JTF2 one is as well. I wonder if anyone has more up-to-date version of these two. I am a civve so I don't have access to PSP staff (If that is even where you get them...).

Slightly unrelated but some of the stats in the second link for CSOR is quite interesting since it is about comparing JTF2 to other SOF teams(British Parachutists, US SEALs, US Special Forces Green Berets).

RedCardOP said:
Upon my search for the pre-screening physical fitness test I have for CSOR and JTF2 and both seem semi-outdated. I found two CSOR versions (one and two) however both reference the CF Expres Manual for instructions how to perform the different exercises they prescribe for the test. Also the JTF2 one (link) has a similar evaluation but has the instructions included on the page. I am quite sure the CSOR I found is outdated (since the CF Expres was no longer administered since April 2014) and I have suspicions that JTF2 one is as well. I wonder if anyone has more up-to-date version of these two. I am a civve so I don't have access to PSP staff (If that is even where you get them...).

Slightly unrelated but some of the stats in the second link for CSOR is quite interesting since it is about comparing JTF2 to other SOF teams(British Parachutists, US SEALs, US Special Forces Green Berets).

Congrats... you've just passed :)

Upon further search I found this gem. Amendments include using 5th version of the CF EXPRES manual. It was written on July 3 2015 and the sixth point states that an 3rd version of the pre-selection test will be released in early 2016. I assume that means late 2016 to early 2017 considering I wasn't able to find a 3rd version.

daftandbarmy said:
Congrats... you've just passed :)

Thank you! Don't know what I passed, but thanks! Was my first post on here so I was afraid of getting roasted but looks like I did it right. ;D

Hi,

I'm already in reserve since 2013 and I'm looking to get to JTF-2. My question is, what are the selection's criteria. I mean, how do they decide which candidates to take. Is it by Physical fitness test, aptitude test, medical exams, interview? What should I work for ?

P.S : My medical results are V2, CV2, H3, G1, O1, A2

Thank you

Back