• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Crossing the US Border with Military Vaccination Docs

AKa

Subscriber
Reaction score
Good day all,

Has anyone crossed the border recently? I'm wondering if the US border officials would have any issues with my proof of vaccination. I would hate to make plans and then get an unpleasant surprise.

Thanks,

AK

You mean the little business cards that I got that I wrote my own name on? Nope, haven’t tried it yet.

Proof of vaccination is not required to enter the US by air, but a negative COVID-19 test taken within 3 days prior to arrival or proof of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months is required before they board their flight to the US..

For proof of vaccination, if required locally, the source of the vaccination doesn't matter (mil or civ) however, the US CDC only recognizes three formulations as acceptable, specifically:

• Pfizer-BionTech (2 doses required and received);
  • Moderna (2 doses required and received); and
  • Johnson & Johnson/Janssens (1 dose required and received).

Astra Zeneca or mixed doses of MRNA and viral vector vaccines are not recommended by the CDC.

You should be able to get it added to your immunization book; probably good to have it there anyway.
My pharmacist new I was retired military as soon as I pulled out my yellow book and asked her to enter the COVID shot(s) into it. 😆 She said that almost to a person, Ex-Mil would always bring their yellow book with them.

interestingly, my Ontario COVID Vaccination e-record (.PDF) just includes my last shot (Moderna), but shows vaccination date and status as 2-shots given. There’s no indication that my first round wasn’t also Moderna. Not sure if that would be suitable for ground entry to the US.

Are your covid shots registered in your military needle book?
Yes, in my ancient yellow book with my handwritten names (went from maiden name, to married name, and back to maiden). Of course, if I was going to forge something, I would make it look far more professional than that.

Yes, in my ancient yellow book with my handwritten names (went from maiden name, to married name, and back to maiden). Of course, if I was going to forge something, I would make it look far more professional than that.
I don't see why it wouldn't be accepted then.

I took the certificate they gave me and turned it into a password protected QR code for my phone.

I'm wondering if the US border officials would have any issues with my proof of vaccination. I would hate to make plans and then get an unpleasant surprise.
Not to suggest the provincial Covid-19 proof of vaccination reciept is more, or less official, or secure, than the CAF.

But, Ontario residents may wish to carry it in their wallet- in addition - to their CAF proof.

Not to suggest the provincial Covid-19 proof of vaccination reciept is more, or less official, or secure, than the CAF.

But, Ontario residents may wish to carry it in their wallet- in addition - to their CAF proof.

That will be difficult, as it requires an Ontario health card. The QC version is a bit more flexible, but probably going to be a general issue for CAF members, if the provincial versions require a health card.

Had to get my book replaced recently, and the booklet is actually issued by the Canadian Public Health Association. Expect there will be a number of general issues as people start to travel again with a variety of standards required, plus interpretation from the border guards, so will be interesting to see how this rolls out.

I guess many won't be crossing anytime soon...due to the $300 test required, not worth it for day/2 day trips

Back