• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Criminal Records Check - CRC (Merged)

Traintosucceed said:
I'd like to just take the time to express my experience for those of you who can use the knowledge I learned from my application process. This is just a general post to cover what I've gone through.

When I started the application process with the Canadian Forces I had, and still do, a criminal record (for DUI). Right off the get go I was told this was not a show stopper. However, it will hinder the speed in which your application goes through the process GREATLY. It took me ten months just to get through the security and background checks. I wish that was the only thing that slowed me down, as I had credit problems as well. I owed close to 10,000 dollars in debt. Which my recruiter advised me to pay off before my application could go any further (which I done).

In closing, I say if you want to apply, do so. There is only one way to find out if you will, or will not, get approval (BE PREPARED TO WAIT). As of right now I am merit listed and waiting for my call. Don't be discouraged by your past. Push for your future and prove you've changed for the better. If all else fails, The Canadian Forces helped me get my life back together, even if I never get the call I'm waiting for.

PS. Sorry in advance for the bump of an old thread.

I too had a conviction for a DUI, the only thing that was different is that it took the application a bit longer to be processed. (about 3 extra months). I got in as Pilot but since then has had a pardon granted.

I have a question in regards to a criminal charge I was facing. I was recently accepted into the Canadian Forces, but due to an assault charge that was pending with court dates I was unable to accept, as I had a legal obligation to be here. I took what I thought was the right approach and decided to hire a lawyer and fight the charge. I was not convicted or did not serve any time, they offered me a common law peace bond, which is set for a 24 month term in which I must abide by their conditions. ( i.e. No alcohol/substance abuse, keep the peace, be of good behaviour, etc.) My question is, would I be able to reopen my file and join the Forces under these circumstances? If I should have to wait the 24 month period before I reapply, would it be of any interest for me to just enter a guilty plead and serve a short sentence rather than wait 24 months? Thanks for your time and any feedback would be appreciated.

tygauthier said:
I have a question in regards to a criminal charge I was facing. I was recently accepted into the Canadian Forces, but due to an assault charge that was pending with court dates I was unable to accept, as I had a legal obligation to be here. I took what I thought was the right approach and decided to hire a lawyer and fight the charge. I was not convicted or did not serve any time, they offered me a common law peace bond, which is set for a 24 month term in which I must abide by their conditions. ( i.e. No alcohol/substance abuse, keep the peace, be of good behaviour, etc.) My question is, would I be able to reopen my file and join the Forces under these circumstances? If I should have to wait the 24 month period before I reapply, would it be of any interest for me to just enter a guilty plead and serve a short sentence rather than wait 24 months? Thanks for your time and any feedback would be appreciated.

You answered your own question.  You have a legal obligation to fulfill, so no you can't join at the moment.  Futhermore any question as to what is the best course of action is best left, to you and your counsel, as NO ONE here knows the particulars of your situation, and any option you chose will have consequences down the road.  You hired a lawyer, get advice from them, that is in theory what you are paying them for.

Hatchet Man said:
You answered your own question.  You have a legal obligation to fulfil, so no you can't join at the moment.  Futhermore any question as to what is the best course of action is best left, to you and your counsel, as NO ONE here knows the particulars of your situation, and any option you chose well have consequences down the road. You hired a lawyer, get advice from them, that is in theory what you are paying them for.

Agreed.  As a lawyer, no one here should be providing you with advice regarding what type of plea you should be making.  That is the job of your criminal lawyer.  Even if you provided all the facts and we believed you, it would be wholly inappropriate for anyone to make a recommendation.  Speak to your lawyer and then your recruiter.

I should be more specific.. Whilst I'm on a common law peace bond, can I join/be accepted into the forces?

tygauthier said:
I should be more specific.. Whilst I'm on a common law peace bond, can I join/be accepted into the forces?

NO! Stop posting, start reading AND comprehending what is written.

tygauthier said:

'Common law peace bond' is a misnomer. A 'peace bond' refers to a recognizance entered into under S. 810 of the Criminal Code of Canada. It is a legal obligation that you remain under for the duration of the peace bond.

You assaulted someone. You are lucky as hell that the crown is willing to simply impose a two year peace bond, which carries no criminal record, in lieu of prosecuting you for assault- typically not a hard offence to get a conviction on. And you're considering going with the criminal trial and eating a criminal record in lieu of going with the peace bond because you think it might help you in the very early stages of your military career?

You're a bloody fool. The consequences of a criminal record drag on for a long time. However badly you *want* to get into the military, you *need* to sort your life out and grow up. Most people don't get the chance you have to get off scot free by simply promising not to commit any more criminal offences. Give your head a shake.

Hi. Unfortunately today i have been shoplifting to steal a pair of gloves and a lipbalm and got caught. got let off with a copy of my citation and the date of the court. so i kind of wonder what would happen next  because i already got my appointment set up in just less than a month (Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) and the Trait Self-Descriptive Personality Inventory (TSD-PI)) and i worry too much if i wont be able to get in. i know i shouldn't have done it but it got the better of me since i dont live such a beautiful,peaceful life in the projects. i planned to say all of this to the recruiter because i want to be as honest as i can possibly be. i figured if actions doesn't win me. my loyalty, honesty and attitude may do me some good.  "this was my first crime ever" do you guys believe i still do have a chance do join the CF?

Only the recruiters can tell you if you can make it in or not - and you do have to tell them.

I've merged this with a whole lot of other advice on similar issues.

Milnet.ca Staff

unleashex said:
Hi. Unfortunately today i have been shoplifting to steal a pair of gloves and a lipbalm and got caught. got let off with a copy of my citation and the date of the court. so i kind of wonder what would happen next  because i already got my appointment set up in just less than a month (Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) and the Trait Self-Descriptive Personality Inventory (TSD-PI)) and i worry too much if i wont be able to get in. i know i shouldn't have done it but it got the better of me since i dont live such a beautiful,peaceful life in the projects. i planned to say all of this to the recruiter because i want to be as honest as i can possibly be. i figured if actions doesn't win me. my loyalty, honesty and attitude may do me some good.  "this was my first crime ever" do you guys believe i still do have a chance do join the CF?
Mod note/opinion
You really have two options, withdraw your application as you presently have at least one legal obligation (possibly others until there is final dispostion).  Two, proceed through the process, wasting time and resource, because the minute you point out your pending legal obligations (or the CAF finds out when your background check is conducted), you will be counseled that your file will be closed and you can reapply after you have settle your obligation to the court.

Personal note/opinion, as I and others have mentioned multiple times in the past, the CAF is NOT an employer of last resort, and is under NO obligation to hire people just because "they" want in, or think "they" deserve a shot/second chance.  This is not the movies.  You WILL be measured against others who have not committed ANY crimes, and quite frankly, being charged for theft indicates your ARE NOT an honest person.  The CAF is full of people who have come from poor backgrounds and rough/tough situations/neighbourhoods, and yet they managed to NOT commit any crimes.

Hatchet Man said:
Mod note/opinion
You really have two options, withdraw your application as you presently have at least one legal obligation (possibly others until there is final dispostion).  Two, proceed through the process, wasting time and resource, because the minute you point out your pending legal obligations (or the CAF finds out when your background check is conducted), you will be counseled that your file will be closed and you can reapply after you have settle your obligation to the court.

Personal note/opinion, as I and others have mentioned multiple times in the past, the CAF is NOT an employer of last resort, and is under NO obligation to hire people just because "they" want in, or think "they" deserve a shot/second chance.  This is not the movies.  You WILL be measured against others who have not committed ANY crimes, and quite frankly, being charged for theft indicates your ARE NOT an honest person.  The CAF is full of people who have come from poor backgrounds and rough/tough situations/neighbourhoods, and yet they managed to NOT commit any crimes.

Huh, weird i did not get any notification on your reply. Tho i appreciate because you gave me an answer. I think you should keep your personal note to yourself cause i find it rather insulting. laugh if ud like. but theft and honesty are not hand to hand in my book. you can ask me anything you'd like to know and i would be loyal and as honest as i can possibly be to be truthful so how would that determine that i am not an honest person? Hence that makes me believe you don't know anything about the type of life i had lived. Maybe i hadnt been brought up with discipline i shouldve been brought up with. But i am sure as hell i got values that i believe in.

You are insulted?  If your values have place to allow theft, then your integrity is junk.  Every serving member on this site would prefer to fight beside somebody they can trust.

unleashex said:
i have done so foolishly cause i didn't have money to buy it and needed money for food instead.
This is not honest behaviour.

unleashex said:
Huh, weird i did not get any notification on your reply. Tho i appreciate because you gave me an answer. I think you should keep your personal note to yourself cause i find it rather insulting. laugh if ud like. but theft and honesty are not hand to hand in my book. you can ask me anything you'd like to know and i would be loyal and as honest as i can possibly be to be truthful so how would that determine that i am not an honest person? Hence that makes me believe you don't know anything about the type of life i had lived. Maybe i hadnt been brought up with discipline i shouldve been brought up with. But i am sure as hell i got values that i believe in.

First, your grammar and spelling are atrocious, you will use proper English (or French) grammar and spelling on this site.  That is not a request, we are not your friends here and this isn't your Facebook wall.

Second, you can find my personal opinion insulting all you want, I don't frankly care, you are the one trying to join the organization that I served for 12 years, and if you think people want to serve beside someone who is an admitted thief, you are mistaken, VERY mistaken.

Third, while in "your book" honesty and theft can somehow illogically co-exist, well quite frankly, your opinion on the matter is irrelevant.  The only "books" that matter is the National Defence Act, the Criminal Code of Canada, and the "books" of every serving member. As I said in my second point above and MCG in his post, you will NOT find anyone in the CAF that supports your absurd notion that you can maintain your honesty and be a thief.

tygauthier said:

Just noticed thisquestion today and saw Hatchet Man's response implying that the Peace Bond would have to end before the individual could apply.  Why?  Yes, it's a legal obligation, but if it doesn't restrict a individual's mobility, I don't see why it should hamper his ability to join the CF.  After all, child support payments are also legal obligations, but surely we don't prevent non-custodial parents from joining?  I'm just curious if this is a blanket policy or if the actual obligation is reviewed and circumstances considered before a decision is rendered.

Pusser said:
Just noticed thisquestion today and saw Hatchet Man's response implying that the Peace Bond would have to end before the individual could apply.  Why?  Yes, it's a legal obligation, but if it doesn't restrict a individual's mobility, I don't see why it should hamper his ability to join the CF.  After all, child support payments are also legal obligations, but surely we don't prevent non-custodial parents from joining?  I'm just curious if this is a blanket policy or if the actual obligation is reviewed and circumstances considered before a decision is rendered.

If during the "CRNC" process, there is an indication that an applicant is completing obligations to the judicial system or under the judicial process, then the CF cannot interfere with this and as such they are ineligible for enrolment into the CF until the obligation(s) have expired or been lifted.

I am banned from the states and have warrants in florida when I was 19 I am 26 now. Will that effect my chances to become a member of the cf?

Train2Survive said:
I am banned from the states and have warrants in florida when I was 19 I am 26 now. Will that effect my chances to become a member of the cf?

Yeah, probably. How do you expect to go to or through the US to train/deploy?

You're banned from our biggest ally, have an outstanding arrest warrant, and a grade 10 education. I would suggest that yes, you should be lining up other options. I would not expect taht you'd stack up as a particularly attractive recruit.

Finish high school, sort out your issues in Florida, and see if you can get yourself on better terms with the United States. This isn't a 'joining the military' thing, this is a 'life' thing.

You're talking in the other thread about facing serious time in prison in the United States if you were to return to Florida. Sounds like you're not who we want. To be facing that kind of prison time suggests significant deficiencies in your judgment and character. It does not appear from what you have disclosed that the Canadian Armed Forces would benefit much from your service.

Back