• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl. Yannick Scherrer killed by IED 27 March 2011

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
CBC is breaking the story:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/03/27/afghanistan-soldier.html

A Canadian soldier has been killed by an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan.

Cpl. Yannick Scherrer was 24.

CTV news: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110327/canadian-soldier-killed-110327/

The Canadian Press

Date: Sunday Mar. 27, 2011 10:42 PM ET

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Another Canadian soldier has been killed in Afghanistan.

Cpl. Yannick Scherrer was on a foot patrol Sunday near Nakhonay, southwest of Kandahar city, when he was killed by an improvised explosive device.

The 24-year-old Montreal native was on his first tour in the country.

It's the first Canadian death in Afghanistan since Dec. 18, when Cpl. Steve Martin died from an IED during a foot patrol.

The latest death brings to 155 the total number of Canadian military members who have died as part of the Afghan mission since it began in 2002.

RIP Cpl Yannick Scherrer.  :salute: :cdn:

Please extend our condolences to the family and friends of Cpl Scherrer.

Condolences to family and friends.  RIP..      :cdn:  :salute:  :yellow:

Another of Canada`s best has made the ultimate sacrifice, in Canada`s name, on behalf of the oppressed and those less fortunate in this world.

May we always remember his sacrifice and honour his memory.

My condolences to Cpl Scherrer`s family, friends and fellow soldiers.

Sad news, indeed.  Thoughts and prayers to Cpl Sherrer's family, friends and compatriots.  :salute:

RIP Cpl. Yannick Scherrer. My thought are with your family and friends in this difficult time.  :cdn:

RIP Cpl Scherrer.  :salute:

May your friends, family and brothers-in-arms be comforted in knowing that you'll always be remembered.  :cdn:

A face I recognize.  :(  R.I.P.  Cpl Scherrer.  My deepest condolences to his family, comrades and friends.

From the CF news release:
One Canadian soldier was killed when an improvised explosive device detonated during a dismounted partnered patrol in the Panjwa’i district of Kandahar Province at approximately 12 p.m. (noon) Kandahar time on Sunday, March 27, 2011.

Killed in action was Corporal Yannick Scherrer, from 1er Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment, based at CFB Valcartier, Quebec serving with 1er Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group.

We are all thinking of the family and friends of our Canadian fallen comrade during this sad time. We will not forget Cpl Scherrer’s sacrifice as we continue to bring security and hope to the people of Kandahar Province ....

Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the fallen.  :salute:

News Room
Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the death of Corporal Yannick Scherrer

NR 11.037 - March 27, 2011

OTTAWA - The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, issued the following statement today on the death of Corporal Yannick Scherrer in Afghanistan.

“I would like to express my condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of Corporal Yannick Scherrer , who died as the result of an improvised explosive device strike while on patrol in Afghanistan.

Corporal Scherrer served valiantly alongside his comrades as part of the United Nations mandated, NATO-led mission that is working with Afghans for a better and brighter future for Afghanistan.

Corporal Scherrer was an extraordinary Canadian whose commitment and sacrifice for his country will always be remembered.”

He was killed on the 27th, shortly after 1200.

Repose en Paix

Je me Souviens

:cdn:

Rest in peace Corporal. My condolences to the family, friends, and his unit. :cdn: :salute:

Our sincere condolences.

Back