• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPGear Tac-Vest Hydration Harness

BullDog

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently received my CPGear Tac-Vest Hydration Harness (CADPAT TW) from Matt and the gang at CPGear, and I have to say that I'm impressed - not only with the product, but the company and its personnel as well.  Despite the recent dangers/worries of flooding, they managed to get my shipment out to me in a timely fashion, and even managed to include a personal, hand-written note (something that I've received with all my previous orders as well).

Before going any further, I should note that my wife (RegF) and I (RegF) own a LOT of CPGear products:

CPGear Products:

• 2 x 64 Pack (complete)  (CADPAT TW)
  • 2 x Wheeler's Valice  (CADPAT TW)
  • 3 x Rucksack Dry Bag  (OD)
  • 1 x Nuke Bag  (CADPAT TW)
  • 1 x Small Pack Insert  (OD)
  • 2 x Berry Pouch  (CADPAT TW)
  • 2 x 100 Rd C9 Pouch  (CADPAT TW)
  • 2 x Field Pillow  (CADPAT TW)
  • 2 x Polarfleece Sleeping Bag  (OD)

Sold by CPGear:

• 1 x Stealth Suit (complete)
  • 1 x Intergral Designs North Twin -10 Sleeping Bag  (OD)
  • 1 x Hatch ArmorCool Head Wrap  (OD)
  • 1 x Fisher Space Pen
  • 1 x Fisher Space Pen Refill
  • 1 x All Weather Field Book
  • 1 x Photon Micro-Light II  (Red)
  • 1 x AA Mini MagLite LED Upgrade Combo (LED Conversion + On/Off Switch)
  • 5 pr x Wigwam INgenious Boot Sock (now called "Base Camp Fusion Sock")
  • 2 pr x SOLE Ultra Softec Cusom Footbed

While I realize that I've opened the door for all those that wish to spout off  ::) about my spending so much money on non-issue kit, or on my choosing CPGear kit over that manufactured by other companies such as Drop Zone or Kifaru, let me just say that:

• Even with my limited experience in the CF, I realized that, while some of the kit we are issued is actually quite good, there are "some deficiencies", and until such time as these are rectified, members will have to take whatever actions they deem to be in their best interest (by "their", I, of course, mean "mission, men, self")
  • CPGear was one of the first aftermarket kit suppliers that I became aware of, and was impressed, with what I saw and heard.  After receiving my first order, I was VERY impressed with the quality and finish, and particularly with the customer service.  Of late, I've come to appreciate some of Kifaru's and Drop Zone's gear (gotta love the modularity of their bags), but I've also had to weigh cost against quality ... only time will tell
  • I realize full well, that "if you pack it, you gotta carry it", and believe that only a fool is uncomfortable in the field - a dry, warm, and comfortable soldier is a happy soldier
  • As a final word on this matter, I don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs ... so I've gotta spend my money somewhere!

---

Now, on to the matter at hand - the CPGear Tac-Vest Hydration Harness ...

Pros:

• Solid construction
  • Integrates easily into the Tac-Vest (installation was a breeze ... less than 5 minutes)
  • My Source Tactical 3L Hydration System (OD and SWEET!  http://www.source-military.com/productlist_all.asp) fits perfectly in the pouch
  • The Tac-Vest actually "feels" better balanced (as advertised) - not so front-heavy
  • Fairly inconspicuous - no more conspicuous than wearing any other CADPAT hydration carrier/system
  • Solidly constructed, and the inclusion of daisy chain in addition to MOLLE/PALS allows for the attachment of one of the SPS 7.5L Fanny Packs (for mags, grenades ...)
  • Velcro closure on pouch allows for hydration system to be easily/quickly removed/replaced
  • Elastic webbing on shoulder straps for tube routing keeps the tube where you want it

Cons:

• None yet

Keep in mind that these comments are based on my initial inspection / installation.  When I actually put it to the test, I'll post more comments.

One con i had with the integrated hydration pack is that if ur carrying a ruck it of sets your balance and you have to constently adjust your pack as you drink.

but stll great piece of kit

Howells, the hydration harness is designed to have its bladder removed so that the harness sits flush against your back and doesn't cause any hotspots/pressure points when you're wearing a rucksac. So take the bladder out and throw it in/on the ruck somewhere.

I have had great success with my Hydration Harness.  I got one about 2 years ago.  Love it.  Fit is fine, and installation was a breeze.

I like it so much I let them use a picture of me on their website to advertise it!

NS

Cons, for those of us in Service Battalions who are still with the "Basic Training" Uniformity mentality and despise "Guci" Kit, the only con is the CSM wont let you wear it.

That's not a con of the piece of kit, now is it?

Pro

It makes an excellent spare map pocket as well. I keep my full-size map of Gagetown folded up accordian style in it for those O dark stupid times when I lose my smaller map of the precise area we're in...

Hurricane said:
No, more of a rant really. Whats it to you? LOL

You're in the subforum for Gear Reviews. If you want to complain about your CoC not letting you use non-issue kit, we have a completely different thread for that where you can whine to your heart's content.

Honestly, I liked it up until 1 hour after using it. No matter how secure it is it has always leaked for me making my back wet so I am either cool or freezing.

SevenSixTwo said:
Honestly, I liked it up until 1 hour after using it. No matter how secure it is it has always leaked for me making my back wet so I am either cool or freezing.

That's not the harness, sounds like, but the bladder itself. Invest in a good one and see how it goes.

Never had any bladder leakage problems myself...  :whistle: :whistle:  ...and the bottom of the pouch is a good spot for a couple of lesser-used pieces of kit that are still handy to have on the range.

How well does this piece of kit work with the 82 ruck and the smallpack? This would be a nice-to-have for a ruck march but will the rucksack crush the hydration pouch?

Better off running the bladder in the top pouch of the rucksack, IMO. I believe the hardness would cause a lot of problems while doing a BFT or anything along those lines. Section attacks and patrols it would be bang on.

Regards,
TN

Globemaster said:
How well does this piece of kit work with the 82 ruck and the smallpack? This would be a nice-to-have for a ruck march but will the rucksack crush the hydration pouch?

If you were to get a good bladder (Camelbak, Source, etc..) you won't crush it, BUT it won't be comfortable with the rucksack on (rucksack will rock side to side while moving). If you've got the 82 Pattern ruck, you can always take the bladder out and stash it in the lid when you wear the ruck.

Back