• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jarnhamar said:
Few good quotes.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/leslyn-lewis-pride-parade-1.5492123

Obsession sounds right on the money.

If we are back to the Pride Parade,

The Toronto Pride Parade is going virtual this year

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/05/toronto-pride-parade-going-virtual-year/

MilEME09 said:
The counter needs to be that we live in a diverse society of opposing views and that regardless of the candidates person views, the CPC as a party has voted to not open either of those debates back up. Freedom of expression is a core Canadian value, we need to play to that, and that by attacking ones personal values it is attack on our constitution and way of life.

That's all well and good, but both the Liberals and NDP are fond of the phrase "right thinking Canadians." Proving once again that they view 1984 as an instruction manual, not a warning.

ModlrMike said:
That's all well and good, but both the Liberals and NDP are fond of the phrase "right thinking Canadians." Proving once again that they view 1984 as an instruction manual, not a warning.

This is true, which I think makes the approach MilEME09 seems to be a good one ... it would both set the CPC apart from the other parties as the one that actually embraces diversity and tolerance for those we disagree with, while taking a position that will be very hard for the opposition to assail.

The CPC could even take it to the next level and argue that using the phrase "right thinking Canadians" is discriminatory and narrow-minded because it suggests there is no freedom of thought or expression in the LPC and NDP view, only freedom for views that align with theirs.

MilEME09 said:
The counter needs to be that we live in a diverse society of opposing views and that regardless of the candidates person views, the CPC as a party has voted to not open either of those debates back up. Freedom of expression is a core canadian value, we need to play to that, and that by attacking ones personal values it is attack on our constitution and way of life.

As noted by many previously, the ‘counter’ is, “My views are precisely the same as the Prime Minister’s views. I personally believe, as does he, that pharmaceutical abortions are wrong.  I concur with him as well, that politically, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms of Canadian citizens ASM applicable Federal Legislation supports women’s right to abortions.”

Done.  Next issue...

Good2Golf said:
As noted by many previously, the ‘counter’ is, “My views are precisely the same as the Prime Minister’s views. I personally believe, as does he, that pharmaceutical abortions are wrong.  I concur with him as well, that politically, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms of Canadian citizens ASM applicable Federal Legislation supports women’s right to abortions.”

Done.  Next issue...

You and I both know that is unfortunately not how it would play out, I think LittleBlackDevil is on to something with attacking the term "Right Thinking Canadians" as it does basically say that if you don't think the same as the LPC you are wrong.

MilEME09 said:
You and I both know that is unfortunately not how it would play out, I think LittleBlackDevil is on to something with attacking the term "Right Thinking Canadians" as it does basically say that if you don't think the same as the LPC you are wrong.

Not merely wrong, but essentially not allowed to hold those views and/or not welcome in Canadian society.

I agree with you that I don't think Good2Golf's tactic would play out the way he's outlined it, I think it would give the appearance of obfuscating and avoiding the question, and the usual accusations of "hidden agenda" which has been the bane of CPC leaders for many election cycles. Despite the fact that the CPC has NEVER done the things they're accused of having hidden agendas on (heck, they don't even do most of the conservative stuff they openly campaign on) this seems to scare voters away time and again. So I think a more direct approach is warranted.

Good2Golf said:

Done.  Next issue...

That didn't work for Andrew Scheer or Stephen Harper... they said much of the same thing (minus Prime Minister's part) and all we heard from 2004 to 2015 was SoCon Harper was going to take away everyone's abortions and force people into Churches...

PuckChaser said:
That didn't work for Andrew Scheer or Stephen Harper... they said much of the same thing (minus Prime Minister's part) and all we heard from 2004 to 2015 was SoCon Harper was going to take away everyone's abortions and force people into Churches...

It didn’t work for Scheer because he avoided the question for too long and played to his base to his own detriment.  His cookie cutter answer about respecting the law as written was not convincing or addressing the question of his personal beliefs.

PuckChaser said:

Negative.  He dithered worse than Paul Martin. 

His response was way late and wish-washy, like Remius said, and he never said it with the clarity I suggested above.

Maybe what the Conservative candidate needs is to have a float in the pride parade cheering on someone getting an abortion?

Good2Golf said:
Negative.  He dithered worse than Paul Martin. 

His response was way late and wish-washy, like Remius said, and he never said it with the clarity I suggested above.

I didn't follow every press conference he did, so I must be missing the background context. Stuff I saw later on he made it pretty clear his personal beliefs on the subject didn't mean he'd challenge Charter rights. It's honestly a stupid question, it's been settled by the Charter and constantly hounding only one side of the political spectrum with questions about it smacks of bias.

mariomike said:
If we are back to the Pride Parade,

Thank the lawd.
Conservative politicians better publically state they will be tuning in to the virtual parade.

PuckChaser said:
I didn't follow every press conference he did, so I must be missing the background context. Stuff I saw later on he made it pretty clear his personal beliefs on the subject didn't mean he'd challenge Charter rights. It's honestly a stupid question, it's been settled by the Charter and constantly hounding only one side of the political spectrum with questions about it smacks of bias.

Oh absolutely, when ever the LPC has nothing, or is hurting in the polls, they play the abortion card, or the gay rights card, spread falsehoods and misinformation and make people fear the CPC is coming for their civil rights and freedoms.

PuckChaser said:
It's honestly a stupid question, it's been settled by the Charter and constantly hounding only one side of the political spectrum with questions about it smacks of bias.

It is.  But he didn’t snuff it out with any competency...he should have more skillfully addressed it, but he seemed so worried about upsetting a statistically small part of the base, that he set the condition for the LPC to rip him a big one, and he never recovered.  He set the conservative masses (progressive or fundamental) back. 

PuckChaser said:

The highlighted "later on" is the key. He waited too long, and his answer when the question came up in the debate I thought was weak and prevaricating, opening himself up for the whole "hidden agenda" and "he's going to take away our abortions!" stuff.

I've read all the emails from the leadership hopefuls, and checked out their respective web pages.
I must admit, (being a long time CPC supporter) to being underwhelmed by the candidates thus far.
Lewis seems to me to have the most thought out policy, most of which I can support.
Sloan is most definitely out of consideration for my vote.
McKay and O'toole have name recognition, but neither one have impressed me so far..........

Lance Wiebe said:
I've read all the emails from the leadership hopefuls, and checked out their respective web pages.
I must admit, (being a long time CPC supporter) to being underwhelmed by the candidates thus far.
Lewis seems to me to have the most thought out policy, most of which I can support.
Sloan is most definitely out of consideration for my vote.
McKay and O'toole have name recognition, but neither one have impressed me so far..........

Come on!  What's not to like about a long-time politician who graduated Dalhousie Law School.

(Of course, from that description, the question becomes "which one...")

dapaterson said:
Come on!  What's not to like about a long-time politician who graduated Dalhousie Law School.

(Of course, from that description, the question becomes "which one...")

One of my old partners graduated from Dalhousie Law School ... I agree with you.

;D

I briefly dated a Dal Law grad.  That likely has influenced my perception of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back