• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CP Gear Mag Pouch - LOTS of pictures

PhilB

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently received a trial version of a mag pouch that CP Gear is planning on producing, to T&E. The mag pouch that I received is a triple, but has shock cord to control the size, so it can be used as a double. The pouch I received, being a trial, was not divided internally, however I have been informed that the production model will be a divided, tiered design.

For the most part, unless you are planning on using mag shingles, you can either get mag pouches which have velcro closure, side release closure, or a combination of both. After using HSGI Universal mag pouches on tour I am not happy with side release closure pouches. I found that  the side release buckle, when closed, could not be opened easily and quickly with one hand (maybe this is just me  ???). I found myself continually undoing the buckle in advance and just relying on velcro. As a result of this experience I purchase Eagle mag pouches, which have only velcro closure, for the rig I am setting up for my next tour. The concern I have is that the velcro will degrade in the desert (happened last time) and thus my mag pouches will be somewhat useless. Enter CP Gear;

The mag pouch that Matt sent me uses a new style of buckle and is quite innovative. The pouch closes with velcro and this buckle

DSCN0423.jpg

open

DSCN0424.jpg

As I stated earlier the pouch is a triple pouch, but with the inclusion of shock cord, can be adjusted for carrying less mags. The pouch also has pals on both sides to attach smaller pouches.

DSCN0425.jpg

The pouch has silencing velcro if needed for more tactical, sneaky peaky, applications. This is a small thing but a huge pet peeve of mine; On most mag pouches that I have used the silencing velcro just tucks into the pouch, where I find it usually gets in the way. On my HSGI pouches I just ended up cutting out the silencing velcro. On this pouch the silencing velcro is held down but a small piece of binding tape. Simple yet ingenious!

DSCN0426.jpg

Obviously, the major feature of this pouch is the buckle I was speaking about earlier. The buckle holds the pouch closed securely and has a short cordura strap attached to it. To open the buckle simply tug firmly on the short cordura strap. The buckle is also adjustable, much like a standard side release buckle. I found this buckle to be extremely fast, and intuitive. Much more so than side release buckles.

Here is a close up of each side of the buckle open.

DSCN0428.jpg

DSCN0427.jpg

I thought that pictures really didn't do this buckle justice so I made a short video to better convey the operation of this buckle. Click on link for video.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/PBialek/?action=view&current=DSCN0442.flv

Initially I was skeptical of this system because when I was playing with it before it was attached to my vest I had some issues opening the buckle. As soon as it was securely attached to my vest I had no issues, and am definitely a convert! Overal I am extremely impressed with this pouch. I feel that it addresses all of the issues I have had with mag pouches previously. I am not sure what the price point or availability on this pouch is, but im sure that Matt at CP will chime in with some more details.

Just wondering how long the buckle will last.

Seeing as you pulled up on it as any normal end user would, would the buckle break?

Looks quite promissing, let us know how the trails end.

Regards

Obviously  I haven't had long term use of this pouch, but from my understanding the buckle is made by nexus, the same company that makes higher end side release buckles. Nexus has a great reputation for making good quality kit. I think that it will last, as there isn't a "hollow" area like you find in side release. I suppose only time will tell!

PhilB,

Thanks for taking the time to do the review.

The model sent out to PhilB and several others was a 1st gen prototype.  Some changes we've incorporated into the production model are:
-An adjustable flap (similar to our Modular Stackable Double Mag Pouch) which accomodates the use of Ranger Plates or Magpuls.
-Internal web divider which allows you to 'tier' your mags in either a 2-high/1-low position, or vice versa.  Some people prefer this for ease of extracting the mags, or organizing mags that are loaded differently (ie. one mag may be mixed with ball & tracer, whereas the others are all ball).  The internal web divider also allows for the use of 20 round 5.556 mags (not really in service with the CFs, but you never know what you may come across) as well as 20 round FN-FAL/M-14 mags, which may otherwise sink too low into the mag pouch to be accessed.

In regard to the buckle itself.  It is being produced by ITW Nexus and made of Acetyl nylon.  These buckles have been cold temperature tested to -40F and had no issues with becoming brittle to the point of failure.  The design is also 'self-clearing' so that in the event that mud, sand, or snow fill up the female portion, the male insert is shaped as a wedge which pushes the debris out and allows the buckle to cycle as intended.
Another nice thing about this buckle is that it's alot more resistant to crushing than a conventional side release.

These will be available within the next 2 weeks.

PhilB ..once again .. great review...good to see it in action with the vid ...

Great Pics as well...

Can you get a few with a load on the pouches to simulate 3 full mags??? 

This will go great with the with the MoFocr

Matt ... the attention to detail with all the new products is fantastic ... best of all this product is FUNCTIONAL!!

Keep up the good work !!

Cheers Jamtorky

I got my MoFocr today, nice piece of kit! After seeing the snap dragon buckles, and searching the forum for more info I'm still wondering a few things. I know Matt has mentionned that with time they will become easier to open when they're ''broken in'', for lack of better term. Unfortunately I have no mags at home so trying to open them as shown in the video becomes a task in itself. My question is, are the pouches easier to open when mags are inside? I suppose they'd apply more pressure and a lever point for the buckle itself. Thanks for the help gents.

I found that the pouch was much easier to open with the mags in, and when mounted to a vest. Additionally, the buckles really do break in after a period of use.

Canadian Mind said:
Any word from users of this pouch regarding how well the buckles are holding up?

Had one of these mag pouches on my tac vest for a year? now an it's still holding strong.

Back