• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CP Gear KISS Rig

Dog

Inactive
Reaction score
I was reluctant to give CP Gear a real shot when it came to a chest rig. But after shopping around and reading a lot, and looking despairingly at my bank account, I decided to go the route of the KISS Rig...

Now, this is by no means a comprehensive review, as the thing still smells brand new, but I've yet to see any reviews on the thing, and I think it deserves some attention.

I purchased the Rifleman setup when it first went on sale at 40% off... a few months ago. It comes with the basic setup of 3 triple mag pouches, and IFAK, and a Utility pouch. I upgraded the harness, and also included 2 frag pouches, and a PRR pouch. Can't remember how much it cost me at the time, but it was enough that I lied to my wife about it. :warstory:

I assembled the whole thing, and immediately was struck by the amount of "wasted" real-estate in front where it buckles closed. I could fit an entire mag pouch in the space there... which actually inspired me to use the molle on the side of one of my mag pouches (I mean what the heck, it's not being used for anything else) and mounted my 5.11 dump pouch there. It's perfect. Since the 5.11 stuff is a bit flimsier, it actually lends itself to that location pretty well, without making the pouch lopsided... by the time it has enough weight in it to matter that pouch would be empty anyway...

I mounted the PRR pouch on my left shoulder, and the frag pouches on the outside of the utility pouch, which I forgot to mention all have molle on them. I had some difficulty finding a good place to mount the bayonet... and I'm still not sure I like where it ended up. After playing with it, and annoying my family for an hour in the living room, I finally got it set up just the way I want it... and am fairly impressed with it. The build quality is better than anything that I've ever been issued, everything is triple stitched, and precisely built. The map pockets on either side were thoughtfully designed to be functional, even if the velcro starts to wear out... only problem: now that it's set up... the amount of real estate available for additional items, is now located mostly behind me, and I'm going to have to be smart about how I pack the pockets, as there isn't as much space for packing things like every pair of gloves that the RSM wants you have in your Tac Vest.

It has the capacity for 11 mags, after the addition of a last-chance double mag pouch on the weak side. and that mag pouch can easily double as a smoke grenade pouch... the IFAK is very organized, and if it were bigger, and able to quickly be detached, I'd use it as a TCCC bag. But it's not quite big enough for that.

For you smaller people, it may be difficult to adjust to fit your slight frames... as it is adjusted pretty far in for me, and I'm a 32 in waist. There may not be enough room to bring it in all the way for you.

The harness that comes standard with it, is not something I would want to wear all day... and it lacks a drag handle, a serious oversight. So the upgrade is definitely a must. That being said, the molle on the back of the yoke is wasted, since there is no molle to pair it with on the rear of the rig... I'd have to wear that damn slippery issued camelbak carrier if I didn't have my daypack on...

I know it sounds like I'm down on this things flaws, but honestly I'm happy with the purchase... well built, good service, fast shipping, the pouches are all top notch, and the design is pretty good. There is a newer rig out there now that CP is making, that has addressed the front "buckle-gap." Which I would seriously take a look at if I were a perspective buyer.... but overall I think it achieves it's goal of being a minimalist rig while providing a mountain of carriage if it's setup thoughtfully.

Also comes in Gunner, and M203 configurations....

KISS RIG  - http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/platforms/7005_2.htm
Harness upgrade  -  http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/platforms/8029.htm

Overall, I'm impressed with the direction CPGear has gone, in terms of their tactical gear. They've come a long way and, IMHO, have joined the big leagues in terms of build quality, and functionality.

Dog said:
I assembled the whole thing, and immediately was struck by the amount of "wasted" real-estate in front where it buckles closed. I could fit an entire mag pouch in the space there... which actually inspired me to use the molle on the side of one of my mag pouches (I mean what the heck, it's not being used for anything else) and mounted my 5.11 dump pouch there.

Doesn't a dump pouch sitting right on your centerline interfere with going prone?  Having it there might be fine for a flat range doing gunfighter drills, but personally I'd place that pouch on the empty space on your weak side.

That was my original plan, to mount it on my weak side... but I wanted to give it a shot in the centre line, to try and justify the gap somehow.

After your response, I loaded the pouch up with bulky weight, and discovered that going prone was less of an issue, than it crashing into my junk. :eek:

It is now going on my weak side. Running out of space.

Update:

After fairly constant use, and staining it with sweat a number of times, I've discovered that the straps on this rig are fairly slippery and will let go at inopportune times. Guntaping the straps is a simple fix, but better buckles, or more abrasive strapping would be a better fix, while still allowing it to be adjusted, on the go. After streamlining my load twice, I can confidently say that there is plenty of space on this rig for carriage, and the centerline space where the buckles are, is no problem at all.

Very happy with the performance of this rig.

Thanks for the feedback.  Are you using the tri-glides to secure the loose webbing in place so that it prevents the webbing from slipping?

I notice the KISS rig and shoulder strap upgrade are now discontinued and dramatically reduced in price!!

You're welcome Matt. I'm using the tri-glides, but guntape is the only thing that keeps the straps from slipping. Without the tri-glides, the straps would be hopeless. I'd recommend a different type of material for the webbing, along the lines of what the handles of the kit-bag are made of, and maybe teeth on the buckle, similar to what altama uses on there knee-pads.

Of course if the KISS rig HAS been discontinued, I suppose it's a moot point.

The webbing we use is Mil-W-17337 which is about the only mil-spec 1.5" webbing available in tactical colours (OD, Coyote Bown, etc.).  Unfortunately, it does have a tendency to slip through buckes.  I find that if you pass the webbing through a buckle, then through a tri-glide, and take the loose end back through the tri-glide, it stays pretty secure.  Of course, the Handyman's Secret Weapon is also another way to secure loose webbing from slipping.

We discontinued the KISS Rig because most guys were saying that the field replaceable buckle setup added extra bulk and was prone to webbing slippage as you described.  The KISS Rig has been replaced by the M-2010 Series which have done away with the field repair setup on the shoulder strap buckles which people didn't like.
http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/platforms/7008.htm
http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/new_products/7009.htm

Cheers,

Matt

Back