• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CP-140 Aurora

SupersonicMax said:
If only the upgrade helped with that...

Yup.

Maybe Block V will resolve the missing capability.

ES helps understand the adversary, but it isn’t EP.

True, but it was a definite step in the right direction in the "threat rec" "platform/Force protection" aspects. 

Block 3 Pick-Up-Sticks was much better than Block 2.  (anyone who hasn't seen what an ESM display looks like when it goes 'operational'...the 34 second mark in this video is pretty accurate.  Then the *fun* starts).

It's still easier on the head than the Acoustic System, though... ;D  Catchy tune!!

Eye In The Sky said:
True, but it was a definite step in the right direction in the "threat rec" "platform/Force protection" aspects. 

Block 3 Pick-Up-Sticks was much better than Block 2.  (anyone who hasn't seen what an ESM display looks like when it goes 'operational'...the 34 second mark in this video is pretty accurate.  Then the *fun* starts).

It's still easier on the head than the Acoustic System, though... ;D  Catchy tune!!
I love the Pick-Up-Sticks reference to ESM. I often referred to it that way when I was still a NASO.

Rather than Light-Brite (hilarious BTW), I think a better analogy would be: 
  • Passive Acoustics = Underwater "Guess Who[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]" [/font]Be glad you didn't ever operate Aurora's legacy OL-5004 acoustic processor... frustratingly over-complicated monochrome POS.
  • HELRAS/DICASS = Underwater Whack-a-Mole.
  • Multistatic Acoustics = Playing 8-32 games of Whack-a-Mole simultaneously.
Although it never gets any public attention, with all the other whiz-bang gadgets on the aircraft; I remain of the opinion that one of the key differences between CP140M and other MPAs is its significantly enhanced acoustic processor.  There's some "proof in the purples" that things are being done more effectively by the RCAF (and JMSDF & ROKN) that aren't yet being leveraged by other MPA operators.

Because Cyclone uses a similar mission suite, I'm looking forward to hearing equally good news once operations mature and Post-Ex/Op data comparisons between CH148 and other MH platforms can be analyzed.

I thought the Lite Brite commercial was too good to pass up!!

My 'acoustic' experience is limited to BPACC;  but I've watched ASOs do the business as Ord or observing a crew as TrgO;  looks like lots of brain cells smashing together.  I've also witnessed...140s gaining contact where...others did not.  :whistle:

SAR North of Iqaluit

This picture shows just how challenging a search and rescue mission can be.

A Royal Canadian Air Force CP140 Aurora, from 14 Wing Greenwood's 405 (Long Range Patrol) Squadron, sighted a missing hunter August 19 after a 24-plus-hour search approximately 95 nautical miles northeast of Frobisher Bay.

The 43-year-old man was reported overdue early August 18. A 14 Wing CC130 Hercules with 413 (Transport and Rescue) Squadron was initially tasked to search around the remote cabin he'd visited, as terrain and poor weather prevented local assets’ immediate assistance and extended the time frame for potential distress. Additional help coordinated by Joint Rescue Coordination Centre Halifax included the Canadian Coast Guard Henry Larsen’s helicopter and, from 103 Squadron, 9 Wing Gander, Cormorant 904 came in for a night search into August 19. A second Hercules transported a relief Cormorant crew from Greenwood, and CASARA also added two spotters to help search from dawn.

The Aurora was called in to add its sensor search capability and, with the combined effort of a smaller Twin Otter, the hunter was located.

BZ Pathfinders!

Attachments

• CP-140 EOIR image.jpg
    CP-140 EOIR image.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 136
We need a better camera and operators who turn the reticle off!  Sorry, just my little pet peeve. 

Seriously though, we do need a better camera.  Colour EON? 

Well done to the crews! 

It can cover up "detail(s)".  I like it on my *"gunsight" feed, but your "zoom" lens' (like EON [Narrow]), the benefit is very limited.

* depending on the mission, I'll use EOW or IR as a "gunsight".  eg - maritime surface patrol at 5,000, low light I'll use EOW as a 'wide' angle/SA feed, IR as a middle range 'gunsight' using say, Black Hot and use EON as my "detail" feed.  Just using the black 'dot' on IR, I can keep the 'dot' centered in my reticle / 'drive' the reticle over the black dot if I loose sight of the contact on Narrow.  Very easy way to maintain 'eyes on' the contact.  Combine EON as your "primary" and using IR in a Pic-in-pic setup on your display...pretty efficient way to manage the sensor.

Sort of like that...

Dolphin_Hunter said:
We need a better camera and operators who turn the reticle off!  Sorry, just my little pet peeve.

:nod:

Seriously though, we do need a better camera.  Colour EON?

HD colour would be magical!!!  Toss in a Designator!

The crosshairs are useless until you need to generate coordinates or employ a designator.

SupersonicMax said:
The crosshairs are useless until you need to generate coordinates or employ a designator.

Not always...on MPA, at least.  Really useful on an IR 'gunsight' with EON as primary in a contact-dense area(PIP in the Black Opal)...just walk the Primary from ctc, to ctc, to ctc...slick.  Or when lookin' thru a slop-layer low level at a stationary/slow panga or something.  Overland, we usually turned if off completely for the whole camera-stack (not always).

Sometimes, it was "operator preference", others times it was L/AES Op or TAC directed as to on/off, requested in PED/IA feedback...it's a function/tool, sometimes helpful...other times, not so much.

CBH99 said:
Why turn the reticle off?

I should have been more specific, I used the same setup as ETIS, he summed it up nicely. 

Just for clarification...the Aurora uses a WesCam MX-20 EOIR sensor;  it has 3 cameras (feeds).  EOW (Wide), EON (Narrow) and IR.  You can view 1, 2 or 3 of them all at once.

Good picture of the NASO (dry sensor) station on a CP-140M here:    http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/en/photo-search.page#ipa_assetDetail=%7BF3FC460E-EF6D-493B-85C6-B00A92E5B225%7D

When I'm talking about the Black Opal, that is the black center screen, looks like it has 2 handles on it.  You can set that up so the top right corner has a little PiP set-up;  I liked IR 200 on there with the reticle on for surface surv 'stuff'. 

The Tactical display on the right, you can see that Operator is using the capability to view 'all 3 feeds' on his screen.  An Operator can select his/her Tac Display to show *none/1/2/3* cameras at any time.  It wasn't abnormal on IMPACT missions to have each large screen display one of the cameras each; you'd be able to view/correlate between the 3 cameras (all at different focal lengths on the same area).  Very effective and efficient...

Hope the pictures helps with the earlier explanations...

Exchanging an Aurora for a Poseidon

https://www.skiesmag.com/features/exchanging-an-aurora-for-a-poseidon/

I know Rod and have been on crew with him;  a 'quiet professional' and all around nice guy.  BZ to him for being part of the P-8 club.  Too bad they didn't use a picture of him in the P-8 (the chair is the first give-away it's a 140).

I love, love, love stories like this!

"The Sea Dragon events are graded, and the nation with the highest overall score wins the Dragon Belt award... This year, Royal Canadian Air Force 407 Long Range Patrol Squadron, which operates the CP-140 Aurora, had the highest total point score, and will bring the coveted Dragon Belt home with them to Canadian Forces Base Comox..."

BZ 407 Squadron!! :D(y)

Last edited:
Back