• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CP-140 Aurora

So the new props are “on” again?

Last I heard was that they dropped the idea.  I really don’t see a point as the Aurora has 10 years left?  It would take them close to a decade to get the project completed.

Pardon my ignorance in these matters, but could someone explain to me the involvement of the NOAA (National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration, IIRC) in airplane engines?

NOAA operates P-3 with similar engine upgrades.  We can use some of what was already done to certify the engines on our CP140.

...and the NOAA P-3s are ‘hurricane-rated’! :nod:

Just watched this rerun re NOAA P-3 that almost didn't make it. They were trying a new experiment: low entry into the eye.

1. Hurricane Hugo, 1989
The NOAA Hurricane Hunters, including Weather Underground's Dr. Jeff Masters, were expecting to fly into a 130-mph hurricane in 1989. What they actually flew into was a 185-mph major hurricane with extreme turbulence and gusts nearing 200 mph.

This P-3 flight penetrated the eyewall 3,500 feet lower than recommended for a hurricane of Hugo's intensity. Intense downdrafts pushed the plane down to 880 feet, took out one engine and nearly took out another engine on the same wing.

It looked like a Category 5 on the inside of the plane when the crew finally reached Hugo's calm center. Everything that was even remotely loose was tossed across the cabin, landing in piles knee- to waist-deep. A 200-pound life raft was thrown around like a missile, putting a 1-inch dent into a steel handrail.

Masters wrote in his blog at the time:

"The cockpit G-meter shows we took five-and-a-half Gs up and three-and-a-half Gs down," continues Lowell, now sounding really concerned. "The P-3 is only rated to plus three and minus two Gs, so we may have some serious structural damage. We'll have to climb as high as we can and find a part of the eyewall to exit through with a minimum of turbulence.

"Five-and-a-half Gs!" I exclaim, looking at Pete in amazement and trepidation. No hurricane hunter aircraft has ever taken more than three Gs. We are lucky to be alive."

A "G" is the force of gravity, with positive or up Gs meaning you are being pulled toward the ground, and negative or down Gs being the feeling of weightlessness. The topic of Gs is usually brought up with roller coasters or space launches. Extreme Gs can be deadly to humans and extremely destructive to aircraft.

It took two additional aircraft and some brave crew members to get the battered plane, one engine down, out of Hugo's eye. Luckily, the team found a weak spot at 7,000 feet in the immense eye wall and returned to Barbados safely.

Air Crash Investigation Into the Eye of the Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn44PzRF024

A pretty big set of cajones on those crews!

Dolphin_Hunter said:
So the new props are “on” again?

Last I heard was that they dropped the idea.  I really don’t see a point as the Aurora has 10 years left?  It would take them close to a decade to get the project completed.

Last I heard it is proceeding on one tail;  the word was the upgrades would "pay for themselves' in terms of fuel burn rate, etc over the remaining life of the fleet.  But, until I hear about it at Morning Prayers or something...I'll believe it when I see it.

SupersonicMax said:
NOAA operates P-3 with similar engine upgrades.  We can use some of what was already done to certify the engines on our CP140.

I had a read of what NOAA did to their P3, they did upgrade their engines on their bird, but it wasn’t the NP2000 engine (unless I missed it).  I did find some articles online that would indicate that NASA is seeking to upgrade a P3 with the NP2000.

Good2Golf said:
A pretty big set of cajones on those crews!

I would love to see their life insurance premiums.  If they can even get life insurance.

But the important question:  How good is the coffee on board?

dapaterson said:
But the important question:  How good is the coffee on board?

Paraphrasing here, but "chewed grounds in an old dirty sock" sounds about right.

I see they didn’t go with current conformal/low-profile antenna technology for BLOS.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
I see they didn’t go with current conformal/low-profile antenna technology for BLOS.

Regards
G2G

I haven't seen anything yet other than pictures, so I'm not sure 'exactly' what is *under the dome*, but I was quite surprised with the size of the prototype compared to the iBLOS fitting.  The size/shape of it made me think "RQ-4"...so I'm expecting a similar size antenna under it (just my WAG, of course).

This picture, there looks like something additional is mounted on the MAD boom, as well as something on additional on the underside of the fuselage, below and slightly forward of the Roundel; it's not very clear and for a second I thought it looked like an additional EOIR ball like the AIP birds have (wishful thinking?).  :dunno:

Should have more info once the 415 types get their hands on 108 and start prepping for the CT.

It would be better if they upgraded the EO/IR camera to something better (instead of another turret).

It would also be nice if they could fully integrate EO/IR similar to what the Winnipeg Police have in Air1.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=faodCovX2iQ

I also think they could have installed a radar antenna aft giving us 360 degree coverage.

Looks like the NS*SGOD is set up for aft-mounted DIRCM?

*not-so

Dolphin_Hunter said:
It would be better if they upgraded the EO/IR camera to something better (instead of another turret).

It would also be nice if they could fully integrate EO/IR similar to what the Winnipeg Police have in Air1.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=faodCovX2iQ

I also think they could have installed a radar antenna aft giving us 360 degree coverage.

At some point, one would think the OEM would stop supporting small qty ‘legacy’ (aka well past their prime) systems if other operators have moved on to digital systems. ???

Regards
G2G

Back