• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Couple of questions on BOTC (non fitness)

hal8472

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi

I will be attending St Jean in January for IAP/BOTC going DEO Armour.  I know a little bit of what to expect as I was previously in reserves, five years as weapons technician land.  It was 10 years ago (giving away my age I am 36) which is why there is no bypass for me.  I also have found the course schedule on line (even though it's probably out of date) and gone through my joining instructions.  Leaves me with a couple of specific questions if anyone can help.

1.  St Jean.  From the sounds of it there are private rooms.  I was used to Borden with four to a room or H barracks, which I think are gone now.  Are they really individual?

2.  Laptops.  The joining instructions say no but I have seen a few messages that say people have brought them without consequences.  I do not want to attract attention too soon. 

3.  Personal kit space.  How is personal kit handled.  I like to be prepared and bring things that I might need such as spare laces, sewing kit, cell phone etc.  Is everything not on joining list put in cold storage?  Of particular concern is books.  I am currently enrolled in a RMC War Studies Masters (one course) that I hope to keep up during basic.  RMC is great for distance learning.  For those who would ask I am very able to operate on limited sleep.  Besides, the whole idea is to push yourself to the limit.  I do not expect the library to be open during the times I require.  I am concerned though that I will have enough space for my books.

4.  When do I find out about dates for further training?  I am not being sworn in until Dec 19th but the impression from recruiting is all will be revealed later.  Still, I am not sure how long I will be in St Jean before going to the armour school.

If anyone else is heading there let me know as we will probably see eachother.  Thanks for your comments.
Andrew

hal8472 said:
1.   St Jean.   From the sounds of it there are private rooms.   I was used to Borden with four to a room or H barracks, which I think are gone now.   Are they really individual?
Yes single room but you live in pods of serveral rooms together.

2.   Laptops.   The joining instructions say no but I have seen a few messages that say people have brought them without consequences.   I do not want to attract attention too soon.  

Yes. They are there but must be kept out of sight. Things break or can go missing in civie lockup.

3.   Personal kit space.   How is personal kit handled.   I like to be prepared and bring things that I might need such as spare laces, sewing kit, cell phone etc.   Is everything not on joining list put in cold storage?   Of particular concern is books.   I am currently enrolled in a RMC War Studies Masters (one course) that I hope to keep up during basic.   RMC is great for distance learning.   For those who would ask I am very able to operate on limited sleep.   Besides, the whole idea is to push yourself to the limit.   I do not expect the library to be open during the times I require.   I am concerned though that I will have enough space for my books.

You will have no time during IAP do do your course- unless you want to do it during the weekend.

4.   When do I find out about dates for further training?   I am not being sworn in until Dec 19th but the impression from recruiting is all will be revealed later.   Still, I am not sure how long I will be in St Jean before going to the armour school.
You will have to do SLT after BOTP if you are not exempt. You will probably get your message sometime near the end of BOTP. You will be in St. Jean for 11 months (4+7)

If anyone else is heading there let me know as we will probably see eachother.   Thanks for your comments.
Andrew
[/quote]

I am currently enrolled in a RMC War Studies Masters (one course) that I hope to keep up during basic.  
Why not leave it for when you are doing your SLT? No sense in overdoing it.

See you there, will be on the same course.

I as well as everyone else in my pod, brough laptops for BOTC. When we weren't using them they were in our hallway lockers during inspections. For the rest of the time they would be locked away in our room lockers. In the evenings we had them out for music and movies, and none of the staff ever came in and the duty staff didn't care, even on the few instances when the duty staff were our staff. During the evenings after indoc phase had ended we had a considerable amount of time to ourselves.
As for personal storage there isn't much, at least not for us. However, if they're just books I imagine you wouldn't have too many concerns storing them in civvy lockup as I doubt too many people will be rooting through your luggage in search of war studies books. I usually had a couple of novels in my personal locker, but there isn't a lot of room in there. 

In all honesty, books can be a saving grace imho.... well bring one, must remember moderation,there is many a time enjoyed sitting by the damned green desk waiting. I myself read the whole sixth edition of harry potter while sitting in the green desk break area, plus IAP is a breeze after linx, assuming you can get a grasp of task proceedur and adapt to military life. Although, I truly think you have a better experience if you don't have any experience. On my course for example, the X-reserve types often found themselves with an over inflated mouth and paid the piper for it. Remeber two ears one mouth listen 2x more than you speak. As for the UTPNCM population who had the luck of taking IAP they were very bitter and resentfull of being in St.Jean, understandable if you were once a part of the military and are being returned to the farm. Hope my 2 cents helped you out

Just to throw my 2 cents at this Hal, you're likely going to find the IAP course much easier then your NCM basic....at least I did.  I completed my IAP this past summer, and couldn't believe the differences. 
Bring your cell phone, lap top, books and whatever else you can secure or don't mind loosing.  On my platoon, 1/2 the people brought their cell phones to the field!  We actually had one guys who used to text message people during class!  I couldn't believe it, but it was pretty funny.  Different army these days I suppose. 
During your IAP you won't have a lot of time to do your coursework for your masters class, but you should during your SLT.  It's just a regular day course. 
Have a good time out there, and enjoy the experience for what it is. 

As for 9Tiger9's comment about cranky UTP's, I'm one of those guys and I didn't really mind the course.  It's one of those things that you just have to do.  I don't think anyone particularly likes going to "boot camp", but as they say, the ends justify the means. 

Thanks for all your help.  Your comments have helped out in what to expect.  I leave Sunday and feel pretty ready.

Back