• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Counting Down the Days

medicineman

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Well, my PA course is just shy of a month until Phase 3 - aka: End Game.

The past 2 years have been an absolute blur of being fed by a fire hose and then regurgitating and re-regurgitating information and finding out how little I knew and conversely how much I did all at the same time.  We lost 3 people early to academic or personal reasons and lost another half way through due to medical problems - they've bounced back and will grad not long after us.

For those of you out there planning or actually going on course, you have a daunting challenge ahead of you.  It is, however, one that can be overcome with some hard work, co-operation, humour and humility.  The co-operation really pays off from the outset, with studying and practicing; hard work rarely ends. You need your sense of humour in particular early on and about mid way through Phase 1, and all the way through Phase 2 due to the working hours and what you sometimes end up dealing with patient and or supervisor wise.  Humility comes in to make sure that you don't inadvertantly rub someone's nose in a failing grade, to be able to admit you haven't a schmick what's wrong with someone and accept your short comings.  The last can be a hard one to swallow sometimes.

Lastly - try to have fun.

Cheers.

MM

MM,

Thanks for that.
I am just over a month from beginning the odyssey. Not many outside of the trade know or can even comprehend the dragged-on cranial endurance event the military's PA course is.

After my last 2 years, it will be nice to be challenged in a classroom.

And you, try to have fun, and don't get too sea sick.  ;D

Lol.  I'm actually enjoying myself now - doing emergency medicine in Orangeville.  It's a little like sick parade, but with people with actual problems - though some are still just perceived one  ::).  It's never groundhog day there though.  Will be off to Gagetown and actually have to put on a uniform for the first time in a year in about 2 weeks.  I've heard it's gone downhill a bit since I left...

Try to have fun and not take things more seriously than you need to  ;D.

TTFN.

SK

Back