• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cougar AVGP Uparmouring?

Tango24B

Inactive
Reaction score
Other than the Cougar up-armouring done in late 1994 with UNPROFOR (and then used with IFOR and SFOR) with the LAST package comprising of the ceramic tiles and PVC coverings were the Cougar AVGPs ever up-armoured with a similar MEXAS "light" armour package that was used on the Grizzly AVGP during KFOR, even if it was for just trials and evaluation?

Did any Cougars ever have add-on armour mounts welded on when they were rebuilt with the removal of the marine drive components?

Thanks! T24B

Tango24B said:
Other than the Cougar up-armouring done in late 1994 with UNPROFOR (and then used with IFOR and SFOR) with the LAST package comprising of the ceramic tiles and PVC coverings were the Cougar AVGPs ever up-armoured with a similar MEXAS "light" armour package that was used on the Grizzly AVGP during KFOR, even if it was for just trials and evaluation?

I am not aware of any such installation or trials on the Cougar.  It's possible a few were used for general platform tests, but nothing with the intention of fleet-wide implementation.

Tango24B said:
Did any Cougars ever have add-on armour mounts welded on when they were rebuilt with the removal of the marine drive components?

No.  Add-on armour provisions were not part of this mod.

Cheers.

There were a few seen with the add on armour mounts, but the Coug's were on thre way out and they stopped with 10 modified vehicles back in 96/97.

I never saw any with add-on armour mounts, nor did I ever hear talk of them in the 90s.  I did work on the installation of the LAST system in Montreal for a week or two.. was a pretty cool tasking for a young trooper.

Bzzliteyr said:
I never saw any with add-on armour mounts, nor did I ever hear talk of them in the 90s.  I did work on the installation of the LAST system in Montreal for a week or two.. was a pretty cool tasking for a young trooper.

And you received all the Carcinogenic Warnings?

George Wallace said:
And you received all the Carcinogenic Warnings?

As a matter of fact yes.. I think I was to have a "note to file" put in my med docs.. I'll have to look into that.

The ceramic tiles were the only uparmour I ever saw done to the AVGPs.  Not even sure they completed that project before we started to retire the AVGPs for the arrival of the Coyote and then LAV III.

Well I just went through my medical docs.. no sign of the form that says I could have cooties later on.  I'll have to see if it's in my pers file.

My letter is on my pers file. Still there last time I checked, buried in the annals of history that barely fits in an envelope anymore lol.

As for the uparmour, never seen a cougar with any lugs. Grinded and welded my fair share of them in Edmonton, but that was mostly for Kosovo in the old Base Maint so that was .... '99?

We had the Coyotes then but didn't see the LAV III's until a few years later. I was on some of the IPT in Wainwright for a bit and we got the first 3 LAV's in 1 VP after it was over.

What a freakin nightmare those 3 were lol

I'll check my pers file.  I was on the tasking in 202 workshop in Montreal.  We were cleaning the hulls off with some kind of crazy cleaning stuff, Ketone maybe?  Either way strip the vehicles, clean them off, apply strips of velcro all over, apply ceramics with a template, cover with velcro blankets. It was a pretty high speed, non sparking thing to be working on as a trooper.

Not that I ever remember. The MGS was going to fill that roll. :boke:

Back