• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of Storage in Transit/Long Term Storage

AmmoTech90

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The Moving Thread is locked (https://army.ca/forums/threads/29261.0.html)

Does anyone have an estimate on what is charged for Storage in Transit and Long Term Storage?  I realize that it will vary depending on the weight/volume of the goods, but a ballpark figure/personal experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

As I recall, it's quite minimal (to the tune of a few dollars per day).  Low enough that once, when faced with the possibility of having to pay for it, I wasn't too worried about it.  The bigger concern though is with in/out fees (fees the moving company charges just for putting things in storage and taking them out), which can be significant (approx $800 each as I recall, ten years ago). 

One of the things behind pushing for door-to-door moves years ago was to avoid LTS/SIT (and associated in/out fees) if possible.  As was explained to me though (over ten years ago), if your HG&E have to go into LTS/SIT regardless, then, if you wanted it to remain in storage for whatever reason, all you had to pay was the additional storage fees.  HOWEVER, if your HG&E could have been delivered to your new residence without going into storage and you wanted it to go into storage anyway, then you would have to pay for both the storage and the in/out fees.  There are two possible scenarios:

1)  Your HG&E arrives at new posting faster than you do:  This is entirely possible on a long-distance move because a long-haul moving company can move your HG&E coast to coast in 2-3 days (using multiple drivers), but you still have 9-10 days to drive across.  Therefore, your HG&E has to go into SIT.  If you want to delay receiving it, you should only have to pay the extra days of storage.

2)  Your HG&E arrives at the same time or after you do:  This is the likely situation on a shorter move (e.g. Petawawa to Ottawa).  In this scenario, as far as the CF is concerned, there is no reason the truck can't go door to door, so if you want your stuff to go into storage, you would have to pay all th associated costs (e.g. in/out fees as well as storage).

Keep in mind that what I am describing is the situation when the powers that be (i.e. DCBA and company) were much more reasonable.  The same may not hold true today.... 

Proceed with caution.

Thanks, I'm trying to plan a final move across country and in this case my current house might be sold well before we have a new place to live.  A couple of thousand I can live with (not happily, but oh well), I was hoping it wouldn't be  too far north of that.

I seem to recall paying around the 500 per month range for a houseful of stuff in 2010, when I had to store for 45 days to gap when my buyer wanted my house and when I was going to get to my new location.

Ymmv.

Back