• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Corruption on UN Missions

enfield

Inactive
Reaction score
Curious if any of those here with experience with UN missions have any comment on this story? From the second-hand info I've gathered (talking to people, books, accounts) this type of behaviour is fairly common on UN ops and by UN personnel. Does this point a further erosion of UN influence and legitimacy?

My apologies to the moderators if this should be under "Current Events".

Last Updated Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:01:06 EST (CBC online)
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations is investigating 150 allegations of sexual abuse by its soldiers and staff in Congo.

The accusations include rape, pedophilia and soliciting prostitutes in Congo, formerly known as Zaire.

Jane Lute 
"It's important that those missions be above reproach," said Jane Lute, assistant secretary general for peacekeeping operations.

The probe, which began after the allegations surfaced last year, has uncovered video footage and photographs to support some of the complaints, Lute said on Monday.

She said investigators are now checking to see if similar problems exist in the 15 other UN peacekeeping missions worldwide.

It's not the first time the peacekeepers have been accused of sexual exploitation. Two years ago, a UN probe rejected similar allegations by refugees in West Africa.

The United Nations can do little to punish peacekeepers who commit crimes, because any prosecutions are up to the countries that sent them on the mission.

The UN mission to Congo, which began in 1999, has about 10,500 soldiers and 1,000 civilian staff from 50 countries.

There is absolutely nothing new about this. Corruption and incompetent behaviour by UN staffers, and similar behaviour by the actual national contingents (including, unfortunately, Canadians from time to time...) has been old news for a decade anyway. I base my comments on what I observed in Cyprus, Mozambique and Croatia. I have a friend who is serving on the parallel UN mission here in Afghanistan (UNAMA) and he tells me that it appears to be more of the same. Most people who have served on UN missoins, especially as indioviduals where you are not "insulated" by a Canadian NSE/NCE from the UN mess, will tell you similar stories

The UN is systemically dysfunctional because it is not fiscally accountable in the sense that even our Govt is. (Ok-Ok-just let that sit...) As well, its hiring practices ensure that its permanent staff is filled with people who originate from countries in which corruption is not an aberration to be ferreted out and publicized in the media but rather an SOP. That may not be "PC" but I'm sorry: there you are. Visit the Third World sometime. No wonder the US has withheld its UN payments in the past. Maybe if everybody did that the swamp would get cleaned up. Cheers.

I could fill a page with accounts of corruption related to me by soldiers who served in Somalia and the Balkans - of course, it's all stuff I've heard from those who witnessed it, but they are stand-up men, so I'm inclined to take their word on it.

IMHO there will always be cases like this within the UN because there are so many countries involved that dont instill the values that we see in Canada.Yes we as Canadians have had past instances of shamefull acts on UN missions but again when you look at the number of Canadians involved in UN missions (civilian and military) we would be foolish to think there wern't a bad apple or two in the lot.The good thing is that in the Canadian forces undisciplined behavior is kept in check by our strong moral values and profesionalism. :cdn:

Back