• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coronavirus Impacts on Recruiting Process etc

BeyondTheNow said:
Public CDS release today stating that “...it’s safe to say that our colleges and schools across CAF will remain closed for training through the summer...” with the expectation that intake and training capacity will expand once it’s safe to recommence as normal.

Full statement attached.
Super helpful stuff, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on your trade and entry plan.
The CAF (like the rest of the government) won't go back 100% right away, it's being done in Phases - right now Phase 1 is happening, so anyone in phase 1 is being enrolled virtually (such as MOTP Surge); once Phase 2 kicks up the same thing will occur for the trades/entry plans in that Phase, until 100% operations resume.

Has anyone heard of any plans or timelines for re-opening the recruiting centres for interviews?

I haven't been able to find anything anywhere online.

I understand recruiting HQ is in Ontario, and I believe all of Ontario is now in Phase 2 after Toronto and Hamilton regions were put into Phase 2 last week. From what I've been able to glean from the rules, recruiting centres would fall under places allowed to open under Phase 2 but I assume the CAF has its own guidelines -- just can't find them anywhere.

I received and email today saying that they have no updates on my file and that the recruiting centres are still pretty much closed. It’s the same message that I got back in the end of May. I’m situated in Qc and we are already pretty far in the deconfinment. So I feel like it will still take a lot of time.

Recently heard from my recruiter saying I my file got passed onto the competition list (this was maybe two weeks ago) and even tho currently there are being no job offers sent out to anyone (as far as I been told) we know that BMQ started back up again so it won't be too long till everything is going full steam again. I recommend keeping in touch with ur recruiter (phone call/email) every couple weeks or even every week. I was able to push my file through doing just that. Applied in January last year sooooo buckle up 🤣

Cezary905 said:
I was able to push my file through doing just that.

I think it's worth mentioning that contacting the CFRC on a weekly basis will not push your file through any faster.

Cezary905 said:
Recently heard from my recruiter saying I my file got passed onto the competition list (this was maybe two weeks ago) and even tho currently there are being no job offers sent out to anyone (as far as I been told) we know that BMQ started back up again so it won't be too long till everything is going full steam again. I recommend keeping in touch with ur recruiter (phone call/email) every couple weeks or even every week. I was able to push my file through doing just that. Applied in January last year sooooo buckle up 🤣

Which trades did you choose?

Anyone else currently trying to get a medical?

I got my CFAT results in weeks ago and after that when I contacted them to try and set up my medical I was told there were a lot of files to go through and no spots. Anyone else finding it hard to get a medical? What did you do?

Calum2020 said:
Anyone else currently trying to get a medical?

I got my CFAT results in weeks ago and after that when I contacted them to try and set up my medical I was told there were a lot of files to go through and no spots. Anyone else finding it hard to get a medical? What did you do?

I don't think there's anything you can do as the recruiting centres seem to be simply closed to in-person visits right now, be it for medical or otherwise. I got my medical done in February before the COVID stuff hit the fan, but I've been waiting for my final interview (I'm applying for CIC which is a bit different, interview is the last step in the process) and they've just told me they'll contact me when the recruiting centre (CFRC Hamilton in my case) is open and doing interviews again.

I don't know what, if anything, they are open for right now. But I think all you can do is wait and keep in touch every once in a while with your file manager or military career counsellor.

Pace Mirin, I do think that staying in touch can help move your file along. It seems like every time I phone they say "oh yes, you're ready for X, here's available dates" and I am left wondering how long it would have been before they called me to book those appointments had I not called-in. I know that my file has moved along a lot more quickly than others getting into CIC have reported. Now it may just be "confirmation bias" that my file is moving along faster because of my regular follow-ups, but I don't see how it hurt either (by regular check-ups I'm not harassing my file manager every couple of days, I've generally been checking in once ever four weeks which IMO is quite reasonable and demonstrates diligence/enthusiasm but not obsession/impatience).

CanadianTire said:
Or both. Lots of class C reservists to draw upon once (or if) the pandemic dies down.

I thought the Class C that many of these Reservist are on was ending 31 Aug?  Is there talk about extending it?

As far as I know, the contracts are ending August 31st (some may have ended sooner). I haven't heard of any extensions.

Has anyone heard anything about when recruiting centres in Ontario might be re-opening for in-person portions of the application process?

I see that CFRC Hamilton is still listed as "Temporarily Closed" although Hamilton itself has been in "stage 3" of reopening for several weeks now. I guess CAF are taking things extra cautiously. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about a timeline for reopening. I can't find anything online.

I just got an email saying that the recruiting process has restarted and I can now book my interview using a outlook link they sent me.

Tiwill123 said:
I just got an email saying that the recruiting process has restarted and I can now book my interview using a outlook link they sent me.

Thanks for posting this. I haven't heard anything either, but hopefully this means I'll be able to get my interview booked before too very long too.

Mind if I ask what province you are in? I suspect there may be differences between regions.

LittleBlackDevil said:
Thanks for posting this. I haven't heard anything either, but hopefully this means I'll be able to get my interview booked before too very long too.

Mind if I ask what province you are in? I suspect there may be differences between regions.

I am from Quebec, Gatineau/Ottawa region. My recruiting center where they are treating my application is in Montreal though. As of now I have a phone interview booked for August 26th. So in 2 days from today.

Tiwill123 said:
I am from Quebec, Gatineau/Ottawa region. My recruiting center where they are treating my application is in Montreal though. As of now I have a phone interview booked for August 26th. So in 2 days from today.

Thanks for the response, and all the best on your interview.

I see that every single recruiting centre in Ontario is now open ... except CFRC Hamilton where my application is! LOL

Apparently Hamilton is a "hot spot" for COVID right now (or so I've been told, I had a hard time finding evidence of this in the news). Fingers crossed Hamilton may open soon. I did ask my Military Career Counsellor if there was any chance of doing my interview at one of the open recruiting centres (for example London which is actually closer to where I live). Probably not possible but I figured it was worth a try.

Tiwill123 said:
Hope your interview went well, i was just wondering what the process was for the medical? I’m waiting to book mine, is the entirety of the medical a long process? Do you have to submit all sorts of forums or is it just in person?

Back