• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coronavirus Impacts on Recruiting Process etc

coffeeaddict

Inactive
Reaction score
Now that most businesses are forced to close, employees working from home/remote, and people will start getting fined up to $1,000 for violating the emergency orders on social distancing, are there any talks about possible impacts on the selection process, training start dates etc for 2020?

Does anyone expect there to be now things are getting pretty serious?

What could change? Will training dates possibly be pushed back? Some canceled?
esp interested in timeline related to direct entry as an officer.

Extra question: If I were to be presented a job offer later, will it state when my training will start? Is it possible for me to request a delay of the training start date? How? and is it likely or unlikely to get approved? (new house closing in July)

:dontfeedmods:

coffeeaddict said:
Now that most businesses are forced to close, employees working from home/remote, and people will start getting fined up to $1,000 for violating the emergency orders on social distancing, are there any talks about possible impacts on the selection process, training start dates etc for 2020?

Does anyone expect there to be now things are getting pretty serious?

What could change? Will training dates possibly be pushed back? Some canceled?
esp interested in timeline related to direct entry as an officer.

Extra question: If I were to be presented a job offer later, will it state when my training will start? Is it possible for me to request a delay of the training start date? How? and is it likely or unlikely to get approved? (new house closing in July)

:dontfeedmods:

Most military courses are already canceled, which should include BMQ. The facility at St Jean would be a great environment for an illness to spread in.

If you aren't yet in the CAF, assume you won't be until this all wraps up.

I can state unequivocally that questions of recruiting and training are top of mind for the Chief of Defence Staff and the Chief of Military Personnel. They are working to ensure the safety of all involved in the processes and the preservation of the CAF's ability to respond in both the the short and long term.  The Surgeon General is also engaged in these discussions to ensure that decisions are made based on best available science and best available medical information.

They are not on streetcorners making announcements because the situation is dynamic and they need some sense of stability before they decide on how to proceed.

But to reassure you again: very, very senior personnel in the Canadian military are thinking about this and working on this, every day.

I've basically resigned myself to the likelihood that I won't be back in the CAF for a long, long time. Possibly never, due to this scenario.

If I actually get back into uniform some day I will consider that a blessing but I am not counting on it.

LittleBlackDevil said:
I've basically resigned myself to the likelihood that I won't be back in the CAF for a long, long time. Possibly never, due to this scenario.

If I actually get back into uniform some day I will consider that a blessing but I am not counting on it.
I wouldn't be quite that fatalistic. Things will come around and, at some point, life will return to normal.

garb811 said:
I wouldn't be quite that fatalistic. Things will come around and, at some point, life will return to normal.
Especially since there is a massive strategic risk to the institution to stopping recruiting and enrollment for even just 3-6 months. I would expect things to move slow, but eventually courses will resume.

My wild guess is that anyone starting at CFLRS will have 2 weeks tacked onto their course and get to learn what restricted to barracks means so we can at least get back to business.

garb811 said:

Maybe saying I'll NEVER get in is a bit fatalistic, but I'm sure my recruitment process has at this point been delayed by years since I am applying for CIC which is already lowest priority, so it will be delayed the most. Most likely by the time to do finally get around to processing CIC applications again, it will have been so long since my medical that they will want another one due to my age (40 yrs old) plus new tests from my family physician as with my last medical to verify that I'm not going to keel over on them.

Further, I imagine that Cadets is the thing they will be the most cautious with and the slowest to return back to normal. I wouldn't be surprised if they take things to extreme. They have already talked about cancelling all summer training so I don't expect recruitment of new CIC officers to be off even the back burner for quite some time. Would they go to the extent of cancelling cadets altogether? Probably not ... I guess Cadets still operated during the Great Depression, even.

While I fully appreciate that the CAF as a whole has to carry on, just don't think CIC will be happening any time soon.

I feel you, brother. I applied in November 2018, and was waiting on an enrollment date (not for the first time). Now I've been asked to sit tight for 4-5 weeks and contact them again. I completely understand, of course, that there are more important things than recruitment. But situations like the one we are now is exactly why I wanted to join in the first place: To be useful to the country in national emergency situations!

LittleBlackDevil said:
Maybe saying I'll NEVER get in is a bit fatalistic, but I'm sure my recruitment process has at this point been delayed by years since I am applying for CIC which is already lowest priority, so it will be delayed the most. Most likely by the time to do finally get around to processing CIC applications again, it will have been so long since my medical that they will want another one due to my age (40 yrs old) plus new tests from my family physician as with my last medical to verify that I'm not going to keel over on them.

Further, I imagine that Cadets is the thing they will be the most cautious with and the slowest to return back to normal. I wouldn't be surprised if they take things to extreme. They have already talked about cancelling all summer training so I don't expect recruitment of new CIC officers to be off even the back burner for quite some time. Would they go to the extent of cancelling cadets altogether? Probably not ... I guess Cadets still operated during the Great Depression, even.

While I fully appreciate that the CAF as a whole has to carry on, just don't think CIC will be happening any time soon.

We'll be back when the schools go back. I can see the RCSU's moving mountains to try and get summer training happening but we'll have to wait until May.

Not sure where to ask, but the heading says "All Things Coronavirus".
I emailed my contact last week, but haven't heard back yet.
Is basic training open again? I was told it would be closed till 6 April.

classoneguy said:
Not sure where to ask, but the heading says "All Things Coronavirus".
I emailed my contact last week, but haven't heard back yet.
Is basic training open again? I was told it would be closed till 6 April.

IS it open? No.

When will it open? No one here knows that yet.

ArmySailor said:
We'll be back when the schools go back. I can see the RCSU's moving mountains to try and get summer training happening but we'll have to wait until May.

As I expected: https://army.ca/forums/threads/132237.0.html

They are talking about re-opening schools in Ontario sometime in May, I think, but I expected the Cadets to take it slower and more cautiously than the schools. No one wants to be the one to "wear it" if a child gets sick.

With cadets not running I suspect that all CIC applications have gone even further to the bottom of the pile. I'll see in June or July what my file manager says but I'd be awfully surprised if any progress has been made on my application since my last contact in February.

Public CDS release today stating that “...it’s safe to say that our colleges and schools across CAF will remain closed for training through the summer...” with the expectation that intake and training capacity will expand once it’s safe to recommence as normal.

Full statement attached.

Attachments

• 5B7E6243-D9D4-4D8A-8C09-0D7C9A747589.jpeg
    5B7E6243-D9D4-4D8A-8C09-0D7C9A747589.jpeg
    531.8 KB · Views: 205
  • EE561388-4EA7-4046-9125-339BB9910C79.jpeg
    EE561388-4EA7-4046-9125-339BB9910C79.jpeg
    553.2 KB · Views: 175
BeyondTheNow said:
Public CDS release today stating that “...it’s safe to say that our colleges and schools across CAF will remain closed for training through the summer...” with the expectation that intake and training capacity will expand once it’s safe to recommence as normal.

Full statement attached.

Damn

Slater35 said:

Use it as an opportunity to train physically and do various online practice tests. There's going to be a lot of people applying for less spots. You need to be competitive. Don't show up to basic training after sitting in your house for 7 months.

To be fair, there are still quite a few undergoing the release process. Just because the CAF asks members to consider delaying or cancelling releases doesn't mean said members will bite.

The CAF was already feeling the crunch before this, they will need to start bringing in fresh recruits before too long. This may give the organization a chance to attract and retain some talent, so hopefully the CAF can do a decent job playing the hand it has been dealt.

reverse_engineer said:
To be fair, there are still quite a few undergoing the release process. Just because the CAF asks members to consider delaying or cancelling releases doesn't mean said members will bite.

The CAF was already feeling the crunch before this, they will need to start bringing in fresh recruits before too long. This may give the organization a chance to attract and retain some talent, so hopefully the CAF can do a decent job playing the hand it has been dealt.

We got a briefing just after Christmas for the state of ACISS, in that around 2027 we'd be 60% PML due to issues with recruiting, retention and DP1 throughput at CFSCE. I have a feeling that this delay in training and recruiting will devastate ACISS (or whatever we're turning into this year) and we'll be ineffective at providing support to the CA very quickly. There are probably a few other trades who are in similar dire straits where this delay will exponentially increase the problems.

PuckChaser said:
We got a briefing just after Christmas for the state of ACISS, in that around 2027 we'd be 60% PML due to issues with recruiting, retention and DP1 throughput at CFSCE. I have a feeling that this delay in training and recruiting will devastate ACISS (or whatever we're turning into this year) and we'll be ineffective at providing support to the CA very quickly. There are probably a few other trades who are in similar dire straits where this delay will exponentially increase the problems.

At the risk of a derail, is there a feasible area that ACISS can be merged with in order to preserve numbers a bit, such as what has happened in the past with a few trades?

Back