• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coronavirus and haircuts

#1 all around, it’s pretty hard to screw up. Demi Moore can show you how it’s done.

And of course there is always this: How To Cut Your Own Hair with Clippers !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVkx2hsN6NM

Good luck!  ;) ;)

I did it yesterday (without using a video) but I doubt it's to regulation standards. :D

Maybe we could all go back to the 18th and 19th century when everyone's hair was tied back in a ponytail looking thing. Sorry I don't know the correct word for it.

SECDEF and Joint Chiefs chairman say top Marine will get a call over barbershops remaining open

“If the commandant is watching, he’s probably on it, but if not, the chairman is going to give him a call and say ‘what is going on?’"" Esper told reporters Tuesday.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/coronavirus/2020/04/14/secdef-and-joint-chiefs-chairman-say-top-marine-will-get-a-call-over-barbershops-remaining-open/

It's the little things you miss. And going to your barber is one of them.

And, not because a boss tells you to.

Just isn't the same when the wife does it in the kitchen.

Baden Guy said:
OK people, let's get real. All the barbers in town are closed. I have no way to get a haircut.
And they are talking about being confined to your home for months except for shopping for essentials. I'm already looking scruffy.  :( Some genius got an answer for this.

Order some clippers.  I just did that a few days ago and with the combs that come with it, it might not be your best haircut but it shouldn't be a disaster.

stellarpanther said:
Order some clippers.  I just did that a few days ago and with the combs that come with it, it might not be your best haircut but it shouldn't be a disaster.

Famous last words:

Quarantine haircuts

stellarpanther said:

Care to post a link?

Ever since the CAF allowed beards, rumor has been they will be relaxing hair standards even to the point of allowing man buns, I'm not a fan of those but if it's going to happen, I can't think of a better time to implement a new policy on haircuts than now.

NFLD Sapper said:
Care to post a link?

I assume you mean where to order from? A few days ago Amazon still had a couple selections available but I used some of my Air Miles to get mine.

Found this on YT; was pretty handy to fix a bad first attempt (was full peaky blinders in a bad way).

Ended up needing to go down to a #3 on top to get it to even out, but figure I'll have some practice.  In any case, he does a pretty good job of showing how to do a clippers only cut; sure there are lots of others but was helpful for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L995UPBWzcw

stellarpanther said:
I assume you mean where to order from? A few days ago Amazon still had a couple selections available but I used some of my Air Miles to get mine.

Yeah that's what I meant.

As for hair etc. and combat, the original SAS in the Western Desert 1943:

SAS-in-jeeps-1943-595x592.jpg

M4xjjUNsjZXtLob8t4KYFmdy5Hll3BsBIDjMbDgHPtvzpYN_b-K-u7Dv0DrxvgEZhPipTUkAroU6Fr0r7VhiSw

http://ww2today.com/26th-july-1942-sas-raid-hits-the-desert-airfield-at-fuka

Mark
Ottawa

SupersonicMax said:
I hope people don’t feel pressure from their CoC to get haircuts....

Agreed. Hopefully this is not the case.

With that said, I understand a "relaxed grooming standard" isn't everyone's cup of tea. Brands such as Andis and Wahl make decent products, and you can find both on amazon pretty easily. Where most will have difficulty is doing a proper fade/taper. Keep your clippers clean, oiled, and sanitized (For military types this should come naturally)

For anyone trying to do beard outlines or neck stubble, you can also look into foil shavers if you don't like razors. They don't work on longer hairs, but can give you some more precision than clippers. If you suffer from ingrown hairs, irritation etc you can always use an electric pre-shave such as Remington FaceSaver and William's Lectric shave. They help the hairs stand up and get rid of moisture that will fight against your foil shaver.

Personally, I say let it grow!!!

I'm torn between maintaining a Stanley Cup playoffs style of hirsuteness until this is over and going back to the sort of grooming I performed on my noggin and face when I was still parading one night a week and one weekend a month.  Back then, I gave my head a once over with a clipper set to #3 every few weeks.  No points for style, but then I have a face made for radio, so nothing lost.  It saved time on hair drying after a shower and cut the wear and tear on my comb to absolute zero.

The clipper is charged up and waiting.  The spousal unit has given her grudging assent (she prefers my civilian style to a #3).  Now, it depends on my breaking point.  I haven't had hair this long since I joined the Army Cadets at 13 back in the days they wore battledress, and my beard has a distinct Amish vibe to it.

Back