• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coronavirus and haircuts

xqwYoOU.jpg

dJj5WDX.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2644681245623837&id=230798677012118&__tn__=-R

For context from the link guy just got home for deployment from Latvia; glad he's home safe with the family.

No idea if there is a valid reason behind the beard, but that's between him and his CoC.  Let's not shit all over people from the safety of our keyboards.

[quote author=Navy_Pete]

No idea if there is a valid reason behind the beard
[/quote]

One of them fancy religion-chits would be my guess.

Navy_Pete said:
For context from the link guy just got home for deployment from Latvia; glad he's home safe with the family.

No idea if there is a valid reason behind the beard, but that's between him and his CoC.  Let's not shit all over people from the safety of our keyboards.

There's also the Fury-style hair that everyone was up in arms over in 2017 or so. 

I see the picture of him and the two blondes and I'm thinking "he looks like he's going to stiff-arm them football-style"  :nod:

From what I am told, a lot of guys are doing the same thing a lot of us did 17 years ago.

Buzz cuts. To prevent the virus from attaching to your hair. It also allows for easier wearing of your N95.

Beards are a non-issue, as you have to be clean-shaven daily to be N95 FIT tested anyway for a safe seal.

Questions about N95 FIT testing:

1. Many N95 masks I used in the past didn’t have a soft-foam seal around the inside, so what does would the FIT test really accomplish here?  Would stubble keep such an N95 mask from working ‘properly’?

2. How much adjustment can really be made to an N95 (or better) respirator, based on observations made during a FIT test?  Everything I see seems to be one-size-fits-all?  I have a P100 respirator (with VOC cartridges) I use for painting and aside from the straps, there isn’t any adjustability I can see.

???

Regards
G2G

Scott is certified on the FIT test ( I never was ), and had this to say,

Scott said:
I wouldn't have carried out the fit test on you and there wouldn't be a damned thing you could do about it. Not being a dink at all, just telling you that the rules are on the side of the guy telling you to go and shave prior to the test. FYI, I imagine the Snr FF you speak of was more pissed that he'd now have a can of worms opened because one dude passed the fit test with a beard and everyone else might be monkey see, monkey do. That's the other reason I'd flat out refuse you.

jollyjacktar has it: mask sizes are made for the masses, the common denominator. So is the instruction for gaining the best possible seal between face and face piece. Glasses are verboten for the same reasons. Just because I can get a seal with my safety glasses on doesn't make it correct and doesn't account for conditions you might encounter outside of the fit test.

Your best chance with RPE is ALWAYS when you're clean shaven. If that offends your personal sense of fashion and style, too bad. You always default to manufacturer's instructions - and I have yet to see one that doesn't mention being clean shaven.

Attached,

Mayor Pete on the dangers of cutting one's own hair.

Attachments

• mayorpete.jpg
    mayorpete.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 69
mariomike said:
From what I am told, a lot of guys are doing the same thing a lot of us did 17 years ago.

Buzz cuts. To prevent the virus from attaching to your hair. It also allows for easier wearing of your N95.

Beards are a non-issue, as you have to be clean-shaven daily to be N95 FIT tested anyway for a safe seal.

At this point there has been no direction with regards to removing beards, at least from my chain of command. We have had troops wearing masks over beards.

Kilted said:
At this point there has been no direction with regards to removing beards, at least from my chain of command. We have had troops wearing masks over beards.

That would make about as much sense as ... as.... well, nothing  ::)

Imagine the anguish if an order came down that mbrs must be clean shaven, including everyone sitting at home. Then feel the desolation as everyone realizes sick parade won't see them for beard chits.

Jarnhamar said:
Imagine the anguish if an order came down that mbrs must be clean shaven, including everyone sitting at home. Then feel the desolation as everyone realizes sick parade won't see them for beard chits.

I don't have a beard so it wouldn't affect me but telling someone at home that they need to shave their beard would be one of the ultimate stupid orders. Why piss people off if they don't need to?  I'm curious what people going into work are doing about haircuts or have they relaxed it? 

stellarpanther said:
I don't have a beard so it wouldn't affect me but telling someone at home that they need to shave their beard would be one of the ultimate stupid orders. Why piss people off if they don't need to?  I'm curious what people going into work are doing about haircuts or have they relaxed it?

So long as there’s no complaining when they’re called out and then have to shave it all off to fit N95 masks. 

stellarpanther said:
Why piss people off if they don't need to?

Because everyone over the rank of cpl is dumb and a big meanie? Just kidding. See Good2Golf's post.

But you do realize people are working from home and not on vacation right? I know there's not a lot of working going on, but you can be ordered in to work tomorrow. And like G2G says you can be ordered to shave IOT have the N95 fit properly.

Jarnhamar said:
And like G2G says you can be ordered to shave IOT have the N95 fit properly.

Scott, who is an expert, had this to say,

Scott said:
You always default to manufacturer's instructions - and I have yet to see one that doesn't mention being clean shaven.

Jarnhamar said:
Because everyone over the rank of cpl is dumb and a big meanie? Just kidding. See Good2Golf's post.

But you do realize people are working from home and not on vacation right? I know there's not a lot of working going on, but you can be ordered in to work tomorrow. And like G2G says you can be ordered to shave IOT have the N95 fit properly.

I think people are making this a bigger deal than it needs to be. If I were on class C right now, I probably would still be keeping my beard reasonably short (as I do throughout the training year) and I know that if I got a call saying report in tomorrow morning, clean shaven, it would probably take me all of twenty minutes in the morning to shave the beard off. Maybe half an hour at most.

Jarnhamar said:

It would make perfect sense if you needed to wear a mask that you would need to shave, I hope nobody would be stupid enough to argue about that.

stellarpanther said:
It would make perfect sense if you needed to wear a mask that you would need to shave, I hope nobody would be stupid enough to argue about that.
You would be surprised...it has happened, with multiple people who need to be able to mask at a moment's notice.

Back