• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Controversial hoax article - "IMMIGRANTS, NOT Canadians MUST ADAPT"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey, I got this in my email, thought it'd be great to share, I'd like some opinions on this, as it seems to be a fairly powerful email.

Will we still be the Country of choice and still be Canada if we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that came to live in Canada because it is the Country of Choice??????

Think about it!

All we have to say is, when will they do something about MY RIGHTS?

I celebrate Christmas...........but because it isn't celebrated by everyone..............we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings.

It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday?

We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend anyone, that I am now being offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that.
    This says it all !

This is an editorial written by an
        Toronto newspaper.  He did quite a job; Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS,
        NOT Canadians

MUST ADAPT.

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we
        are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,
        we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority
        of Canadians. However...... the dust from the attacks had
        barely settled when the "politically correct! " crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Canada
        Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants.

However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.

This idea of Canada being a multicultural community
        has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity.  As Canadians.......we have our own culture, our

own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH/FRENCH, not S panish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.

Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

"We Stand On Guard For Thee" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan.. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women.......on Christian principles.............
    founded this nation..... and this is clearly documented.

It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools.
        If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home.........because

God is part of our culture.

We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where
        you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY,
        our land, and our lifestyle. But once you are done complaining....... whining...... and griping.......about our flag....... our pledge...... our national motto........or our
        way of life....I highly encourage you to
    take advantage of one other Great Canadian Freedom.......

THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

It is Time for Canada to Speak up

If you agree -- pass this along;
        if you don't agree -- delete it!

AMEN

One of the things that distinguishes us from our southern neighbors is the idea that Canada is not a homogeneous mass, but rather a mosaic of different peoples sharing a common country, based on a certain set of common values.

It does not diminish Canada when my next door neighbours - as they do - speak Russian, or Chinese, or Pashtun.

It does not diminish Canada when my neighbors worship Allah, Buddha, Yahweh - or no god at all.

But it does diminish Canada when we try and force people to conform to our beliefs, outside of the common beliefs expressed in the Charter of Rights, given that the rights of Freedom Of Expression and Freedom Of Religion are core Canadian values.

And thinly-veiled racism, disguised as patriotism, also diminishes Canada.

That's my take on it.

DG

I agree with DG, ours is a multicultural country not a "melting pot". Also since there is no state religion the whole Christmas point is moot, we also don't go around saying happy Hanukkah or Merry Ramadan either.

It does, however, diminish Canada when our traditions, that have stood for hundreds of years in some cases, are being burned down in the name of "a mosaic of different people sharing a common country."

It's Christmas, not "the Holidays" or "Winter Season."

Remember that story a few years back about a guy in Edmonton who put a Canadian flag in his window and was told to remove it, because it might offend immigrants? That's what's diminishing Canada. We're so afraid of offending people who DECIDED TO COME HERE BECAUSE WE ARE CANADA, that we don't even say we're Canadian anymore.

If someone of another country/religion gets offended because I celebrate Christmas instead of "the Holidays" and I want to have a Canadian flag in front of my house or whatever, then that person is diminishing Canada. Not me for wanting to celebrate what I believe in. We're a nation of wussies now, so afraid of offendind people we don't admit in believing in some things. That diminishes Canada.

---

And to reply to Gramps, I DO hear happy Hanukkah and hear stuff about Ramadan a lot. Well, I did when I lived in Montreal, anyways. Yes if I have a Christmas tree and say "Merry Christmas" I'm an evil xenophobe. That's the problem. The fact that there's no state religion doesn't mean we should basically take away freedom of religion for the majority because we don't want to insult a fraction of the minority.

If we allow religious items in school, then we should allow teachers to say "Merry Christmas" and have a "Christmas tree" in the classroom.

I don't like the tone of the message at all.  

"IMMIGRANTS, NOT Canadians MUST ADAPT" - this creates an us-versus-them  mentality.  And most landed immigrants eventually become Canadian citizens.

"We speak ENGLISH/FRENCH, not S panish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language" - this statement screams red-neck idiot very loudly.

" I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Canada" - this one sounds a lot like the way a racist will justify their view ie: I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black/jewish/swiss.

"This idea of Canada being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity." - I disagree wholeheartedly with this statement.

"As Canadians.......we have our own culture" = Really?  I would like to see the author's idea of Canadian culture.  I bet he can't name 10 things that are distinctly representative of Canadian culture (hockey, Tim Hortons, poutine and maple syrup don't count).

"We speak ENGLISH/FRENCH, not S panish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language" - given that we are guaranteed the freedom to use whatever language we want, and that this is a Charter-protected right, Ihtink this kind of illustrate's the author's fundamental lack of knowledge about Canadian culture.

I understand the author's anger, but he's aiming at the wrong target.  It's not the immigrants who forced these changes in Canadian society, and for that matter they didn't even ask for them.  It's the predominantly white, native-born Canadian pseudo-intellectuals who think they know better than the rest of the country what is best for our social fabric.  I have had countless discussions & arguments on political correctness with people of all backgrounds.  NOT ONCE have I ever heard an immigrant say that they supported political correctness.  In my experience they have universally thought it was stupid, and they are more offended by the social engineers than the word Christmas.

RecceDG said:
One of the things that distinguishes us from our southern neighbors is the idea that Canada is not a homogeneous mass, but rather a mosaic of different peoples sharing a common country, based on a certain set of common values.

It does not diminish Canada when my next door neighbours - as they do - speak Russian, or Chinese, or Pashtun.

It does not diminish Canada when my neighbors worship Allah, Buddha, Yahweh - or no god at all.

But it does diminish Canada when we try and force people to conform to our beliefs, outside of the common beliefs expressed in the Charter of Rights, given that the rights of Freedom Of Expression and Freedom Of Religion are core Canadian values.

And thinly-veiled racism, disguised as patriotism, also diminishes Canada.

That's my take on it.

DG

There is no way that I could articulate my position on this as well as DG despite the fact that I share similar sentiment about this country.  It is a privilege to serve this country precisely because of what it stands for.

Frederik G said:
And to reply to Gramps, I DO hear happy Hanukkah and hear stuff about Ramadan a lot. Well, I did when I lived in Montreal, anyways. Yes if I have a Christmas tree and say "Merry Christmas" I'm an evil xenophobe. That's the problem. The fact that there's no state religion doesn't mean we should basically take away freedom of religion for the majority because we don't want to insult a fraction of the minority.

If we allow religious items in school, then we should allow teachers to say "Merry Christmas" and have a "Christmas tree" in the classroom.

And I hear Merry Christmas all of the time too, none of it offends me, nobody has had their rights removed. Which religious items in schools are you referring to? Are they personal items? If so there are no rules against such items. The original email seems a little too "Archie Bunker" to me, keep in mind though this  so called article from a Toronto news paper is a version of the one at the link below, again brought to us by our good friends at snopes.com. I think that too many people who speak of others being offended too easily are offended too easily.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/american.htm

I can understand the sentiment behind it, but the content stinks.  Immigrants are no different than anyone else; It's human nature to take advantage of a situation, and that's what they do, just like you or I would.  It's the white liberal think tanks of the '70s and 80's we have to thank for the situation now.  This email does smell slightly of the early '70s poo flinging of the National Front in the UK. Anyone remember those nutters?  I will now invoke the secret mantra, "slippery slope, my friends".

Hunter said:
"As Canadians.......we have our own culture" = Really?  I would like to see the author's idea of Canadian culture.  I bet he can't name 10 things that are distinctly representative of Canadian culture (hockey, Tim Hortons, poutine and maple syrup don't count).

I thought a people's culture included everything that represents that people's unique heritage?

I guess if hockey, poutine and maple syrup don't count as being Canadian, then lasagna and pizza aren't Italian, foie gras isn't French, fish and chips and driving on the wrong side of the road aren't English, sombreros and cheap tequila aren't Mexican, and baseball and hot-dogs aren't American, right?

Anyways, can you name 10 things that are distinctly representative of Canadian culture?

I agree with the post but as well dont like the tone.

I do think that people should have to change when they come to this country. As I would have to change to go to their country. I know this and thats why I choose not to go to their country. Ill I really ask from someone that comes to this country is that they come here with the right intentions and work just as hard as the rest of us.

My 2 cents.

Lets not also forget that unless your a "native Canadian" writing this, then you yourself were an immigrant (or your family root) at some point.  WE came here from Europe and forced our culture on the people already living in Canada, and by the fact that we would want to continue to walk around and declare "Merry Christmas" to each and every individual we encounter would be to just exploit this fact! 

This having been said, I'm not offended by someone wishing me a "Merry Christmas" or any other holiday for that matter.  It is just wishing someone health and happiness during a joyous time celebrated by their belief system.  I don't think anyone should be offended by that. 

To think though that immigrants coming to Canada should line up and be "good Canadians" first would simply defeat what and who we are as a country.

Personally I can't stand the PC tripe that has invaded our society....that being said.

Who wrote that....a redneck racist with a grade 8 edumication*  waving a flag so it's ok?  ::)

We (less Natives) are all imigrants.

Regards

*left in for effect    ;)

And it's not even original:

MUSEUM OF HOAXES
Article in Tampa Newspaper
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forum/forum_comments/1691/

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture.

Gramps already beat you to it Mike.

Did everyboda have a happy Kwanzaa?

DG

::)

Thought it looked a bit familiar....and the Stand on guard for thee was a bit mis-placed.

The originator couldn't even skew it properly.

Regards

Unoriginal I agree. I don't totally disagree with the message, however there are points that can be argued. Guess I opened up a can of worms.

I'm all for people being who they are. Canada speaks many different languages, not just English and French. But, I have been in a work place before where the JEwish were allowed to wear their kippa's, there were hindu people with red dots, yet we were informed that we could not have a Christmas tree, nor could we wish one another Merry Christmas, because other minorities at work kicked up a big stink about it. They said it offends them. They were allowed to keep their traditions though because ... well just because they are who they are. Or so I was told.

That's the part of the message I agree with... but definately not with the "we do not speak x, x, x, x, x, x, we speak English and French" part. Diversity is great.

One thing we need to remember, equality and rights work both ways.

IMHO, that is.

As far as we know, everyone in the Americas is an immigrant.  Is there some magic threshold of time at which you become "native" to a land - perhaps birth?

Frederik G said:
I thought a people's culture included everything that represents that people's unique heritage?

I guess if hockey, poutine and maple syrup don't count as being Canadian, then lasagna and pizza aren't Italian, foie gras isn't French, fish and chips and driving on the wrong side of the road aren't English, sombreros and cheap tequila aren't Mexican, and baseball and hot-dogs aren't American, right?

Anyways, can you name 10 things that are distinctly representative of Canadian culture?

No I guess I wasn't very clear on my point - my bad.  Of course these are icons of Canadian culture, but they kind of overused.

I'm a bit pressed for time, but here's a quick list, in no particular order.

1. Medicare (the concept, not it's current function)
2. Quebec nationalism
3. Official Bilingualism  
4. The rocky mountains
5. The position of Governor General
6. Immigrants (as mentioned previously, most of us are immigrants or descended from some.
7. Vimy Ridge
8. Juno Beach (if you haven't been there, you should plan to)
9. The RCMP
10. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms

Really, the only people in Canada who can honestly have a well informed opinion on this topic or those from area's with high immigration rates. Such as the GTA, Montreal, Vancouver, though I believe the GTA has the highest rate because I live in Mississauga and get around and would say 1/4th of the city of 700'000 is immigrants.

As for my opinion on the article, in some respects it is very true when it comes to certain types of immigrants. (reference, afghan convert thread) Certain peoples view their religion as the ultimate law to order their life and I have personally seen Canadian laws routinely abused by landed immigrants due to this, mainly in the dense muslim population between northern erin mills -meadowvale (est. 60-70%). Also I have seen brand new immigrants from eastern europe and the caribbean go straight to criminal activities and be deported. However this is purely the negative side of immigration to my city. The majority of people I know from other countries I have the utmost respect for, they work hard at school, harder than most kids born here and are friendly and accepting. Although I have met few of their parents, unless they were very wealthy in their home country they are doing sh*t jobs here and workin their a$$ off at it.

So I dont ramble on ill cut this short with one final comment to summrize my views. Because of the situation in my community, I not only do not notice race when identifying people and see them only by their personality, but through extensive conversations my eyes have been opened to the world and how different life is for people in Pakistan, Greece, Iran, Trinidad, Poland, Ukraine, India etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back