• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Confused about which regiment......

BrandonSharp

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I have decided to join the Army Reserves.  :salute: :nod:
My initial decision was to join the 48th Highlanders of Canada, out of Moss Park Armoury, in Toronto. But due to some more thought, and also meeting some people from other regiments, I'm thinking maybe another regiment may be a better fit. :-\ ???
I'm looking at either the 48th's still, but the Queens own Rifles (also out of Moss Park) are now in the picture, along with the Ontario Regiment (out of Oshawa).
Any insight on the said regiments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Curious.  What made you think of the other two units?  Isn't Oshawa a little out of the way?

Well, I live out in Ajax. Driving to Toronto isn't that bad, it's only like 45 minutes away. Oshawa is like 10.
I'm not overly concerned with the location, as long as it's in the GTA

Now what do you want to be?  An Infantryman or an Armour Crewman?  Do you want to be a Highlander or a Rifleman?  Do you want to walk or drive?  Questions like this are what you should be asking yourself.  You should be deciding what you want to do.  If you have researched enough to find these units, you should know what they do.  Does anything that one of these units do, interest you?  Will your interest be maintained for longer than a short term?  All questions that you must answer for yourself.

If you read some of the topics here, you will get glimpses of what these units do.  It would probably be better to actually visit them and talk to people in those units.  Find out if you will "fit in".  No use joining an organization that interests you, only to face personality conflicts with some of the people in it.  You have to do this research "face to face".

.............and coming home, after a weekend ex in the winter, to Oshawa will still be about 10 minutes. From Moss Park that could well become a few hours.

George Wallace said:
Now what do you want to be?  An Infantryman or an Armour Crewman?  Do you want to be a Highlander or a Rifleman?  Do you want to walk or drive?  Questions like this are what you should be asking yourself.  You should be deciding what you want to do.  If you have researched enough to find these units, you should know what they do.  Does anything that one of these units do, interest you?  Will your interest be maintained for longer than a short term?  All questions that you must answer for yourself.

If you read some of the topics here, you will get glimpses of what these units do.  It would probably be better to actually visit them and talk to people in those units.  Find out if you will "fit in".  No use joining an organization that interests you, only to face personality conflicts with some of the people in it.  You have to do this research "face to face".

My #1 preference is Infantry. Armoured falls into a close second. I can see myself doing both of those jobs. Highlander or Rifleman? Preferably a rifleman. Walk or drive? Driving is so much easier lol. I've been to both units in Toronto and spoken to some NCM's there. I got along better with the guys from QoR, but the Highlanders seemed overall more "my type", BUT the recruiting Sgt. from the Highlanders, I'm starting to see a personality clash already with him.

recceguy said:
.............and coming home, after a weekend ex in the winter, to Oshawa will still be about 10 minutes. From Moss Park that could well become a few hours.

you make a VERY good point lol

Well, if you concede that point, and put aside all the glory stories, the rest is a no brainer. Every trade within the military is no more, or less, important than any other. Every trade has it's own honour, and bragging rights.

It would seem, that your time would best be served within an outfit that doesn't become a chore on you, making you lose interest.

Trust me. A BMQ course served, every second weekend close to home, trumps in spades, having to travel a few hours back and forth, every couple of weekends. Just a couple of snowstorms and you fail to complete.

Most units will also be severely restricted to the recruits they are allowed this year. They will be looking VERY closely at those they think will complete.

If they perceive you may become an administrative problem because of travel, they may pass you over for someone more local.

Besides, f you decide to stay for any length of time, your back an knees MAY thank you for going Armoured ;)

Thanks recceguy.

I'm still doing a lot of thinking, but I know I need to go down to the Oshawa Armoury and talk to someone there too.

Does anyone know a little more about the 3 regiments I mentioned (prior enrolment, general knowledge...)??

The Queens Own has a satellite company in Scarborough near 401 and Markham which may ease the commute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_Armoury

George Wallace said:
Do you want to be a Highlander or a Rifleman?

Oh, you silly Reservists* and your making up of new names to call yourselves (or holding on to centuries' old names that are no longer official).  Just like Sapper/Trooper, Bomber, etc (not the same as Navy ranks).

Get with the rest of the team and come on in for the big amalgamation win  ;D

*Note* Qualified to comment on the dirty Reserves as a former rifleman in the E&K Scots.

Well, after sitting up all night, from the time I started this post, right up until now, I've been thinking (watching some MOC videos helped too). And I've decided to go with the Ontario Regiment (After I go and talk to somebody first). The armoured thing seems more attractive to me, so hopefully I'm making the right decision. Thanks for your help everybody, and wish me luck  :)

89 Sharp,

I don't know if this may help in your decision, however the QOR of C have moved Buffs Coy out to Dalton Armouries in Scarborough (Milner and Markham Rd if my memory serves me correctly). Not as far from Ajax as MP, however if your true desire is to be an Infanteer it might be an option.

Cong, but which day  exactly the training will start?
good luck

Forgive my ignorance, what is a 'Highlander' in this context (Highlander vs. Rifleman) other then a member of the 48th Highlanders?

the 48th regulator said:
The 48th Wear Kilts, and chicks dig kilts.

Need I say more?

:piper:

:dileas:

dileas

tess

Rifle Regiments wear cross belts and the chicks dig that even more!! ;)

The QOR also has a robust Recce Platoon (filled by pers qual'd on RegF courses), the highest concentration of MOIs outside of CANSOFCOM (incl. RegF units), hard para positions (which lead to PI and MFF opportunities), and very close ties to the CFLAWC.  We get taskings and courses that just don't come along very often in other reserve units.

Last Ex we did a night rappel insertion for a cordon and search on the FIBUA site in Meaford with simunition.  Recce was out there supporting the hit, with eyes on the obj, securing and setting up the rappel site, securing the routes, etc, etc.  Other units in the area (in Canada?) just don't have the in-house qualifications to support this kind of training.

So yeah, we don't get to wear kilts on parade or ride around in G-Wagons, but...

Wonderbread said:
The QOR also has a robust Recce Platoon (filled by pers qual'd on RegF courses), the highest concentration of MOIs outside of CANSOFCOM (incl. RegF units), hard para positions (which lead to PI and MFF opportunities), and very close ties to the CFLAWC.  We get taskings and courses that just don't come along very often in other reserve units.

Last Ex we did a night rappel insertion for a cordon and search on the FIBUA site in Meaford with simunition.  Recce was out there supporting the hit, with eyes on the obj, securing and setting up the rappel site, securing the routes, etc, etc.  Other units in the area (in Canada?) just don't have the in-house qualifications to support this kind of training.

So yeah, we don't get to wear kilts on parade or ride around in G-Wagons, but...

Thats pretty badass.  Do you guys get to do much live fire?

I'm not sure, to be honest.  I guess the question depends on what you're comparing us to.  The RegF shoots more, but that's to be expected.  I'm not really in a position to say if we shoot more or less than other PRes units.

This past fall we shot up to section level live fire.  Is that common?  It's tough for me to say because I haven't been in the reserves very long...

***EDIT***

I just realized that my comments were directed at a post that's over 8 months old.  I feel like such a n00b!

Back