• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Confused about which regiment......

Wonderbread so did I.

We've done sect level live as well as pl live at 38 Bde ex in 08.

Wonderbread said:
I'm not sure, to be honest.  I guess the question depends on what you're comparing us to.  The RegF shoots more, but that's to be expected.  I'm not really in a position to say if we shoot more or less than other PRes units.

This past fall we shot up to section level live fire.  Is that common?  It's tough for me to say because I haven't been in the reserves very long...

***EDIT***

I just realized that my comments were directed at a post that's over 8 months old.  I feel like such a n00b!

That greatly exceeds anything I've seen happen in 33 brigade. Sometimes our march break ex (always the *high school* march break, dammit) will include a live fire component up to section level, but that's the farthest I've seen it go. I've rarely seen live fire at unit level off of conventional ranges.

Viewed externally, the QOR are known by reputation for tough training, and also for a certain degree of 'eating their own' regarding those who don't fit the regiment's mentality. I've worked with some very, very good guys from the unit, and some guys who were right the f' out of 'er, but who would scream 'airborne!' at the slightest provocation along with everything they thought that entails. Like any unit, there are very good and very bad soldiers- the extremes seem to perhaps be just a bit further extended at either end.

As for the quality of training, that has always seemed (again, external perspective) to be directly linked to the tight (almost incestuous?  ;D) relationship the QOR have with CFLAWC. I'm honestly envious of it- the courses and qualifications the QOR get are greatly in excess of any other unit I've heard, and the corresponding opportunities for training, by most accounts, sound fantastic.

If I were to be moving to Toronto, I'd give the QOR a shot, accepting the chance that I simply might not find that it 'fits' me. But I'd give them a go.

Brihard said:
That greatly exceeds anything I've seen happen in 33 brigade. Sometimes our march break ex (always the *high school* march break, dammit) will include a live fire component up to section level, but that's the farthest I've seen it go. I've rarely seen live fire at unit level off of conventional ranges.

Viewed externally, the QOR are known by reputation for tough training, and also for a certain degree of 'eating their own' regarding those who don't fit the regiment's mentality. I've worked with some very, very good guys from the unit, and some guys who were right the f' out of 'er, but who would scream 'airborne!' at the slightest provocation along with everything they thought that entails. Like any unit, there are very good and very bad soldiers- the extremes seem to perhaps be just a bit further extended at either end.

As for the quality of training, that has always seemed (again, external perspective) to be directly linked to the tight (almost incestuous?  ;D) relationship the QOR have with CFLAWC. I'm honestly envious of it- the courses and qualifications the QOR get are greatly in excess of any other unit I've heard, and the corresponding opportunities for training, by most accounts, sound fantastic.

If I were to be moving to Toronto, I'd give the QOR a shot, accepting the chance that I simply might not find that it 'fits' me. But I'd give them a go.

Well said.

When I retire I think I'll open up an airborne kitshop next to the armories  ;D

That does sound like some awesome training though. Insertion by helicopter. 33 Brigade is lucky if we see civilian helicopters flying over on the busride to pet. Years ago our (ex airborne!) CO scored us some griffions that came down, picked us up and inserted us into a rice paddy looking thing.  I imagine the queens own has a high retention rate.  I bet if other regiments started getting cracks at some of those courses (Not a fault of the QOR) our numbers might stay a little higher.

When I was the booking agent in LFCA HQ "years ago" (I don't remember any "rice paddy looking thing" insertions though), the QOR got much more hel support than any other unit in the area because: they were close to Borden/Meaford, they asked a lot, they had a couple of evil schemers who caused me a lot more work than other units but liked to do things that we wanted to do or found interesting, did not require load/unload drills every time because of their familiarity, and because they asked a lot more. And on top of all of that, they asked a lot more.

It was difficult to support units far from Squadron locations, and our ability to support stuff on weekends sucked a lot of the time because we had shortages of aircrew and groundcrew and were otherwise busy (the current situation again due to our overseas activities), but not asking guaranteed not getting. A few units gave up after being regrettably turned down once or twice, and some never, ever, asked. Some were persistent and got lucky.

Loachman said:
When I was the booking agent in LFCA HQ "years ago" (I don't remember any "rice paddy looking thing" insertions though), the QOR got much more hel support than any other unit in the area because: they were close to Borden/Meaford, they asked a lot, they had a couple of evil schemers who caused me a lot more work than other units but liked to do things that we wanted to do or found interesting, did not require load/unload drills every time because of their familiarity, and because they asked a lot more. And on top of all of that, they asked a lot more.

It was difficult to support units far from Squadron locations, and our ability to support stuff on weekends sucked a lot of the time because we had shortages of aircrew and groundcrew and were otherwise busy (the current situation again due to our overseas activities), but not asking guaranteed not getting. A few units gave up after being regrettably turned down once or twice, and some never, ever, asked. Some were persistent and got lucky.

Here's a question for you.

Let's say a reserve unit is doing an exercise, and a Tac Hel squadron is conveniently close. They put in the request for helicopter support for training. Is there any extra cost imposed on the reserve unit as a result of having those helicopters for the exercise, or does everything come out of the squadron's training/operations budget? I'm just curious whether budgetary constraints on the part of the reserve unit would have anything to do with not using hel assets, or whether it's literally just a matter of 'ask and hope'?

Also, does 427 up in Pet operate on a tempo that makes them less likely to be able to potentially entertain such requests by reserve units?

We bill for any associated TD costs - accommodation, meals, and local transportation etcetera - but not for the flying-related costs.

A Helquest has to be submitted through one's chain of command (unit and brigade) to the applicable ACCE (Air Component Co-ordination Element or something like that, formerly RACE) associated with one's Area/RJTF. It helps to be able to talk to a Squadron directly in order to sort out mutually-beneficial times etcetera, but that is not theoretically necessary and I'll stop right there about that.

"Conveniently close" is a jello-like concept at times.

427 Squadron may entertain some requests, but that depends upon their ability to support and the benefit that they may derive. We are all extremely busy and short of people right now.

The amount of effort required to support even the highest-priority tasks over the next year is incredible, but there are still some opportunities occasionally.

Bri

427 is a little hard to get now that it is the SOAS Sqn not impossible just very hard. The number of tasking that come down from their parent Command (Not 1 Can Air Div though they are the Owner owners) is a lot. Add in the stand by birds and crews etc etc well you see where I am going right....

Doesn't mean it is an automatic NO just means it is unlikely. And given that CANSOF can bump you for their own training even last minute means a Yes is really a maybe. Trust me I have seen it.... It would be more prudent in the long term to look at say 400 Sqn in Borden to support a Res EX in Petawawa then trying to rely on 427. Even the local Reg F units are hurting for use of the 427 since the change.

CANSOFCOM is the "Owner owner". There are dotty lines to 1 Wing and 1 CAD for such things as the various standards, fleet management, and flight safety, but the solid line goes to CANSOFCOM.

400 Squadron has very limited ability to support much of anything for the next year either, at least the first part of it. Units should still put in requests for support, even if the odds of getting it are remote. They might get lucky, and, the longterm benefit is that the need is still demonstrated.

Loach

The ownership is really confusing, though CANSOFCOM tells 427 what to do, 1 CAN Air Div technically owns the aircraft so they keep messing with stuff, trust me I have seen enough of the pull push fight and the Ops guys in 427 having melt downs to know it isn't the best system around.....

On the bright side if anyone does get a ride with 427 they are sure going to get some very experienced pilots and a great ride!

Back