• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Conference of Defence Associations' 2010 Ross Munro Media Award: Nominations

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Text of call:
http://cda-cdai.ca/cda/ross-munro-media-award/2010rmma

Nominations are invited for the 2010 Ross Munro Media Award.

The Ross Munro Media Award was initiated in 2002 by the Conference of Defence Associations (CDA) in collaboration with the Canadian Defence & Foreign Affairs Institute (CDFAI). Its purpose is to recognize, annually, one Canadian journalist who has made a significant and outstanding contribution to the general public’s understanding of issues that relate to Canada’s defence and security.

The recipient of the Award will receive a replica of the Ross Munro statue, along with a cash award of $2,500.

The past recipients of this prestigious award are Stephen Thorne, Garth Pritchard, Sharon Hobson, Bruce Campion-Smith, Christie Blatchford, Matthew Fisher, Alec Castonguay and Brian Stewart.

Significance: The nominee’s work must be considered noteworthy in educating Canadians about security and defence, armed conflict, or the impact of these issues on society. The journalism may take various forms so long as it deals with Government policy or helps increase understanding of the role of Canada’s armed forces and the need to protect the security of the nation. The work will normally have been widely acclaimed as significant.

Media: The entries may be selected from the print media (newspapers, or magazines) or electronic or other media (radio, television, film photography, or internet). The award will credit work distinguished by its style and clarity. Work produced collaboratively may be considered only if the individual who contributed the most is identified, and merits individual credit and recognition for the work.

Research: The nominated work must show clear evidence of research and be noteworthy for careful objective analysis.

Nominations may be made by individuals or groups and may be submitted in either of Canada’s official languages. All nominations must provide two letters of support, and contain a clear summary of the reasons for the nomination. At least five copies of the work must either be provided, or if applicable, Internet addresses must be provided so that the selection committee can review the nominee’s work at their convenience.

Nominations must be received by 1 September 2010, and should be addressed to:

ROSS MUNRO MEDIA AWARD SELECTION COMMITTEE
    CONFERENCE OF DEFENCE ASSOCIATIONS
    222 SOMERSET STREET WEST, SUITE 400B
    OTTAWA, ON K2P 2G3

The Ross Munro Media Award will be presented on Friday, 19 November 2010, at the Vimy Award dinner that will be held at the Canadian War Museum.

For more information, including ticket orders for the Award dinner, contact the Conference of Defence Associations at: fax (613) 236-8191, e-mail projectofficer@cda-cdai.ca, or telephone (613) 236-9903.

Mark
Ottawa

But is the award itself a bribe from an effectively compromised organization?  Thoughts?

Stirring a pot: Conference of Defence Associations’ media award
http://unambig.com/stirring-a-pot-conference-of-defence-associations-media-award/

By the way I just realized an F-6F was just about the same size as a P-47; slow am I ::).

Mark
Ottawa

As I posted to your (excellent) site:

Yes I too will sell my soul for $2500 and a tin cup. If SS feels this will threaten the integrity of Journalist, it can’t be saying much for his moral integrity to think that others will “sell out” for such a small sum. If this is the case a mere $5,000 should buy me an article that solar objects shine brightly from my posterior. 

Why is DND funding an arm's-length propaganda arm in the first place?

Perhaps that's the larger question that needs to be asked.  If the members of the CDA are unwilling to pay to keep it running, does it really meet their needs, or should it be permitted to die out?  Public support for lobby groups of any sort is bad public policy.

(And a side question: How many CDA member associations also receive direct public subsidies?)

Back