• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Condor Tactical soft shell jacket

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
condor_tactsoftshell.jpg

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/product_id/1357/product_name/Tactical+Soft+Shell+Jacket

If you've been to Petawawa (or probably many other bases) you've seen this jacket.  You see them everywhere in Pet.  It screams army and it's a little odd wearing a jacket with velcro on the sleeves out in public but it's actually a really decent jacket.

Comes in olive green, coyote tan, black and foliage green (a US airforce colour I think?). It's very wind and rain resistant. I've worn mine in some pretty shitty weather and was really surprised by it.  I find it a great jacket and am considering buying another one for a spare.

There are a couple companies that make it. Condor, Rockor (spelled differently). I've checked a bunch of reviews online and the only difference between the coats by the different companies seem to be price or whether the stitching on the shoulder pockets has the reinforced X-stitch or not- otherwise they appear identical.

I bought mine at full spectrum gear in Petawawa and paid $139. you can find them online (new) for $88 to $95.  3RCR kitshop has them for $50 something plus tax.  I wish I waited a little while before I bought the coat obviously..

The zipper is kinda crappy on it. I've read of people having problems with their zippers. I haven't had problems with mine yet but you can tell the zippers aren't heavy duty.  There are a crap ton of pockets all over the coat, 8 or so.  There's some handy pockets on the back of the coat, where you basically reach behind your back and there is a large dual zippered pocket . The side pockets are a little odd as they sit higher on your ribs but you get used to them. There's a few holes here and there for hydration tubes, not sure how well that'd work out though. 

I like the high collar look but on the same note the hood inside the collar is pretty bulky.
Airsofters seem to get a boner over the coat but it's a really nice coat for under $100.

There are a bunch of other better worded reviews on this coat, check them out but regardless I think you'll be happy with this coat if you pick it up.

Foliage Green was the colour used for some clothing and equipment with the UCP/ACU Uniforms the US Army had,  USAF uses it as well with their grey tiger stripe camo as well.

Jacket kind of reminds me of the Arc'Teryx Alpha Jacket but with a higher collar and more pockets.

I found some on sale for a great price... almost bought one, but changed my mind as soon as I handled the zipper (zipper came off the tracks on the one I tried on) I didn't think Condor was really known for it's quality.

How are the cuffs? I have a softshell with similar style and the velcro is failing badly...

-Skeletor- said:
Jacket kind of reminds me of the Arc'Teryx Alpha Jacket but with a higher collar and more pockets.

Was thinking that too, Skeletor.

OZ, how's the waterproof-ness?  Thinking of one in black for my own time...don't want to look too much like the rest of the guys at Yogi's or Kelsey's -- I have a Mountain Hardwear Spinoza (another Gore-tex Pro shell, like the Arc'teryx Alpha LT) but wouldn't mind having a shell with a bit of lining to it, more out of laziness than anything, when I don't feel like layering up, just grab and go.  Thinking of wet 0º-15º type of use.

Cheers
G2G

I remember seeing them at the German PX in KAF.. looks like a great piece of kit. Too bad now I'm kicking myself in the butt.

Good2Golf said:
Was thinking that too, Skeletor.

OZ, how's the waterproof-ness?  Thinking of one in black for my own time...don't want to look too much like the rest of the guys at Yogi's or Kelsey's -- I have a Mountain Hardwear Spinoza (another Gore-tex Pro shell, like the Arc'teryx Alpha LT) but wouldn't mind having a shell with a bit of lining to it, more out of laziness than anything, when I don't feel like layering up, just grab and go.  Thinking of wet 0º-15º type of use.

Cheers
G2G

This is a soft shell......So unlike the Arc'teryx Alpha series of jackets, it is not waterproof. Over any sustained period of rain it will soak through. For the price, it is an ok jacket.

Back