• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Concurrent service in UK and Cdn reserves?

thetacticallyhip

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings, I send about half my month in the UK and half my month in Canada, and this will go on for the forseeable future. I am a dual citizen with full rights in both countries. I just re-enlisted to the PRes here in Canada, and I am wondering if Canadian regs will allow me to also enlist in the UK reserves? Any help on this? I am asking the same question, but different, of my prospective UK unit. Thanks to all.

Both at once? Not as a separately enlisted member of each force. However, there is provision to allow for a reservist from one country to serve in a unit in the other, though it’s very rare to see it in action. When I dug into that policy a few years ago, it was clearly set up for someone working full time on attachment, rather than bouncing back and forth. With that said, it may be that it’s possible if there’s sufficient will on the part of two chains of command. Your start point would be getting someone in your Canadian unit to buy into the possibility and to read up on the policy.

Maybe speak to one of the UK units in the area you will be and see if they have any links with yours. If they are interested, then approach your CO with the idea.

What you're talking about is Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements. DAOD 2020-5 explains it all.

Greetings, I send about half my month in the UK and half my month in Canada, and this will go on for the forseeable future. I am a dual citizen with full rights in both countries. I just re-enlisted to the PRes here in Canada, and I am wondering if Canadian regs will allow me to also enlist in the UK reserves? Any help on this? I am asking the same question, but different, of my prospective UK unit. Thanks to all.
You cannot serve as a member of two nation's armed forces concurrently. DAOD 2020-5 may not be an exact solution to your situation. But that's a starting point.

Back