• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Compulsory OT

DontKnowAnything

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a few questions based around a compulsory OT for sea sickness. I've been given a permanent Category for sea sickness and have had 1 meeting with the BPSO and have some questions concerning family and such. My current position is a W-Eng tech and looking at AVN, ATIS and AVS. Of course I'm also being told that these trades are all closed and can only pic from Army, ACISS, VEH Tec. Air force EGS, Fire Fighter and cook.

Q1 If I end up in Borden, Kingston, Gagetown etc. Can my family follow?
Q2 If yes or no to previous question, Does the decision for them to follow or not based on course length?
Q3 Do I have to pay for quarters and rations while on course? (I'm married and currently holding a residence in Nova Scotia)

Anything would be helpful in determining where to go and what to expect for the future.

DontKnowAnything said:
I have a few questions based around a compulsory OT for sea sickness. I've been given a permanent Category for sea sickness and have had 1 meeting with the BPSO and have some questions concerning family and such. My current position is a W-Eng tech and looking at AVN, ATIS and AVS. Of course I'm also being told that these trades are all closed and can only pic from Army, ACISS, VEH Tec. Air force EGS, Fire Fighter and cook.

Q1 If I end up in Borden, Kingston, Gagetown etc. Can my family follow?
Q2 If yes or no to previous question, Does the decision for them to follow or not based on course length?
Q3 Do I have to pay for quarters and rations while on course? (I'm married and currently holding a residence in Nova Scotia)

Anything would be helpful in determining where to go and what to expect for the future.

Q 1-2  -  It all depends on the length of your training and the status associated with your assignment to the trg location (ie; Posted -Restricted/Prohibited;  Attach Posted or TD)
3 - As you are already maintaining a primary residence elsewhere, you won't have to pay for quarters.  Deductions for rations are "likely" but it depends on how the training school decides to proceed based on your status (ie; prior CF service and married).  So you "might" be given the option to select an appropriate ration plan.

Thanks for the info, Its as I suspected. I do have another question though,

Q With this being a compulsory transfer (I did not choose this) is the process of picking a new trade different from say someone that is voluntarily transferring. (I was told that compulsory transfer was like a "GOLD" card for picking a new trade) I was under the impression that a COT has more trade options than a VOT?

Thanks for your help,

DontKnowAnything said:
Thanks for the info, Its as I suspected. I do have another question though,

Q With this being a compulsory transfer (I did not choose this) is the process of picking a new trade different from say someone that is voluntarily transferring. (I was told that compulsory transfer was like a "GOLD" card for picking a new trade) I was under the impression that a COT has more trade options than a VOT?

It all depends on just why you have been assigned a COT, the restrictions associated with this and what CAF occupations are currently available to you under this ISS Program.  Generally, the main difference between a COT and VOT, is that a COT comes with "vested rights to pay" (if applic).

Thanks DAA, Hope all works out for me, I'm sure I'll have more questions for you in the weeks to come :) LoL

Cheers,

question for you DAA.  Sounds like the member might only be getting choices from the BTL monthly reassignment list.  Sounds like a medical COT which should be different than a COT for inefficiency.  Is that normal? 

Eye In The Sky said:
question for you DAA.  Sounds like the member might only be getting choices from the BTL monthly reassignment list.  Sounds like a medical COT which should be different than a COT for inefficiency.  Is that normal?

They do generally pull the numbers/posns from that listing, however, I think some exceptions are made based on circumstances like a Med COT seeing as it will come with certain employment restrictions in some cases.  The numbers on the list are pretty "flexible".  So if they need one for a COT, they will pull reassign it from one of the other ISS programs.

Are  you trained yet in your trade or were you going thru your initial occupation training?

I am QL3 qualified.... I'm looking for a way to make sense of this, none of the options I have been given really interest me, I really want AVN but if not that ATIS or AVS (Based on past and current jobs) which are not showing open on this "BTL" list I have. BPSO wants me to have 3 selections off the list of 5 and I cant really find 1 :( Advice on how to proceed at the next meeting (2nd that is), I feel like a fish out of water with little to no guidance.

Thanks all,

DontKnowAnything said:
I am QL3 qualified.... I'm looking for a way to make sense of this, none of the options I have been given really interest me, I really want AVN but if not that ATIS or AVS (Based on past and current jobs) which are not showing open on this "BTL" list I have. BPSO wants me to have 3 selections off the list of 5 and I cant really find 1 :( Advice on how to proceed at the next meeting (2nd that is), I feel like a fish out of water with little to no guidance.

Thanks all,

If you have your QL3, I would be questioning why you are being made to select from the BTL Monthly Reassignment list - if you are QL3 qualified you aren't on the BTL.  IMO the PSO is making you pick from the WRONG list and that list is 'shitty end of the stick' one.

I would request clarification from the PSO as to why you are being made to pick from the BTL Monthly Reassignment list as you are not on the BTL; it may be a genuine error on his/her part.  If they press the issue, as them for a copy of the reference that states MOC qualified NCMs are required to pick from the BTL Monthly Reassignment List.  That list is usually reserved for people who fail their initial MOC training for reasons of performance and/or conduct. 

You are, or should be IMO, being treated as a COT (Medical).

If you run into any more issues, feel free to post the info here or PM.  Last question, are you East or West coast?

DontKnowAnything said:

Thanks all,

Have you considered ACISS? It's essentially the same work as ATIS except there's months of field time and you get paid $600 less a month.
(It's a been a while since I worked in recruiting, I don't think I'm doing it right)

ACISS do not work on radars, nav aids, etc.  It is not "essentially the same as ATIS".  Posting aren't the same, quality of life isn't the same, trade morale...not even close.  Take a look thru the ACISS threads on here. 

I worked with Army Sigs in the past and was 226 before my last VOT.  That's where my  :2c: comes from.

That is where I'd start, with an email to the PSO.  I'd also speak to your MS/PO2 and explain to them what is going on, at this point, just so they are in the loop in the event they need to go to bat for you.

Also, find and read CFA0 11-12, it should have info on the NCM medical/COT deal.  That's a good starting place.

Its your career, so don't be hesitant to ask questions, ask for policy/regulation references, but do it all in a professional manner. 

EITS, You are the one that used the acronym three of your posts above.

DKA: It stands for "In My Opinion" = IMO. It is not a military list, its Text messaging creeping in daily life. :)

Thanks for the clarification lol (Here I go with text lingo) So if I'm to have a list to pick from and not a "BTL" (I assume this is basic training list) what would the proper list be called. The list I have or been given only has 5 jobs open, which seems to not really coincide with my academic and previous experience at all. I am QL 3 qualified in a trade that gets spec. pay and was almost to my 5's when they ceased my training because of the permanent Mel for sea sickness was added to my file.

Thanks,

I won't guess at the name of the list but you should ask your PSO.  I am 99.9% sure the BTL Monthly Reassignment list is not the one you should have applied to you.

Back