• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

COMPONENT TRANSFER - TARGETED ATTRACTION PROGRAM

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
CANFORGEN 200/05 ADM(HR-MIL) 105 231243Z DEC 05
COMPONENT TRANSFER - TARGETED ATTRACTION PROGRAM
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. DAOD 5002-3 COMPONENT AND SUB-COMPONENT TRANSFER
B. ADM (HR-MIL) INSTRUCTION 07/05 CANADIAN FORCES COMPONENT
TRANSFER

1. THE CF HAS EMBARKED ON A FORCE EXPANSION PLAN TO ADD 5,000 REGULAR FORCE AND 3,000 RESERVE FORCE MEN AND WOMEN OVER THE NEXT FIVE YEARS. THIS GROWTH IS THE LARGEST IN RECENT HISTORY AND BOTH THE INITIAL EXPANSION AND THE MAINTENANCE OF A STEADY STATE STRENGTH OF APPROXIMATELY 65,000 REGULAR AND 30,000 RESERVE FORCE MEMBERS WILL REQUIRE CF RECRUITING AT A LEVEL NOT SEEN IN OVER 15 YEARS

2. EXTERNAL RECRUITING. RECRUITING NEW MEMBERS FOR BOTH THE REGULAR FORCE (REG F) AND THE PRIMARY RESERVE (P RES), HAS BEEN AND WILL REMAIN THE MAIN THRUST OF THE FORCE EXPANSION PLAN. HOWEVER, DUE TO TRAINING REQUIREMENTS, EXTERNAL RECRUITING WILL NOT MEET THE IMMEDIATE REG F EXPANSION DEMANDS. CONSEQUENTLY, JUST AS THE CF HAS LOOKED TO THE RESERVE FORCE TO AUGMENT THE REG F FOR SHORTER TERM OPERATIONS, WE NOW LOOK TO THE P RES AS A SOURCE OF TRAINED AND QUALIFIED SOLDIERS, SAILORS AND AIRMEN/WOMEN TO QUICKLY CLOSE THE REG F TRAINED EFFECTIVE STRENGTH GAP

3. INTERNAL RECRUITING, THAT IS, COMPONENT TRANSFER FROM THE P RES TO THE REG F, IS KEY TO OUR MEETING OPERATIONAL COMMITMENTS, RAPID CF RENEWAL, EFFECTIVE CF MEMBER UTILIZATION IN BOTH COMPONENTS AND STRENGTHENING TIES WITH CANADIANS IN GENERAL. CT FROM THE P RES TO THE REG F WILL PROVIDE MEMBERS OF THE P RES THE FULL BENEFITS AND OPPORTUNITIES CURRENTLY AVAILABLE TO REG F MEMBERS INCLUDING CHALLENGING FULLTIME WORK EXPERIENCE AND BROAD OPPORTUNITIES FOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND TRAINING

4. THE REVISED CT POLICY FACILITATES CT, CF TRANSFORMATION ENCOURAGES THIS FURTHER INTEGRATION OF THE CF COMPONENTS, AND THE NEED TO RAPIDLY INCREASE THE REG F TRAINED EFFECTIVE STRENGTH PROVIDES THE OPPORTUNITY. QUALIFIED P RES MEMBERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO CONSIDER A SHORT OR LONGER-TERM REG F CAREER COMMITMENT. REFER TO THE FOLLOWING WEB SITES FOR MORE INFORMATION:

A. HTTP://WWW.RECRUITING.DND.CA FOR GENERAL INFORMATION

B. HTTP://BORDEN.MIL.CA/CFRG/ENGLISH/ISS_S/ISS_S_E.ASP FOR THE CT APPLICATION FORM

C. HTTP://HR.DWAN.DND.CA/DOCS/INSTRUCTION/INSTRUCTIONS/ENGRAPH/0705_ADMHRMIL_E.ASP FOR POLICY INFORMATION (REF B)

5. ALL OCCUPATIONS NEED PEOPLE. HOWEVER, OCCUPATIONS OF PARTICULAR INTEREST FOLLOW:

AIRBORNE ELECTRONIC SENSOR OPERATOR (AES OP)

AIRFIELD ENGINEER (AF ENG)

ARTILLERY SOLDIER FIELD (ARTYMN FD)

ARTILLERY SOLDIER AIR DEFENCE (ARTYMN AD)

AVIATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (AVN TECH)

AVIONICS SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (AVS TECH)

COMBAT ENGINEER (CBT ENGR)

COMMUNICATOR RESEARCH OPERATOR (COMM RSCH)

ARMOURED SOLDIER (CRMN)

ELECTRICAL GENERATING SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (EGS TECH)

ELECTRICAL MECHANICAL ENGINEER (EME)

FIRE CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (FCS TECH)

INFANTRY SOLDIER (INFMN)

INTELLIGENCE OPERATOR (INT OP)

LAND COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (LCIS TECH)

MARINE ENGINEERING MECHANIC (MAR ENG MECH)

MARITIME SURFACE AND SUB-SURFACE (MARS)

MEDICAL OFFICER (MED)

MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (MED TECH)

NAVAL COMMUNICATOR (NAV COMM)

NAVAL COMBAT SYSTEMS ENGINEER (NCS ENG)

NAVAL ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN (ACOUSTIC) (NE TECH (A)

NAVAL ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN (COMMUNICATIONS) (NE TECH(C)

NAVAL ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN (TACTICAL) (NE TECH (T)

NAVAL ELECTRONIC SENSOR OPERATOR (NES OP)

NAVAL COMBAT INFORMATION OPERATOR (NCI OP)

PHARMACY (PHARM)

PHYSIOTHERAPIST (PHY TH)

SIGNALS (SIGS)

SIGNAL OPERATOR (SIG OP)

SONAR OPERATOR (SONAR OP)

VEHICLE TECHNICIAN (VEH TECH)

6. P RES UNIT COS ARE TO ENSURE WIDEST POSSIBLE DISTRIBUTION OF THIS MESSAGE. IT IS APPRECIATED THAT CT FROM THE P RES TO THE REG F WILL PLACE ADDITIONAL BURDENS ON INDIVIDUAL UNITS AND THE P RES AS A WHOLE. HOWEVER, ACTIVE SUPPORT IS IMPERATIVE AS IT IS ONLY BY WORKING TOGETHER THAT WE WILL SUCCESSFULLY ACHIEVE CF TRANSFORMATION OBJECTIVES AND MEET OUR TOTAL FORCE OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS. EVERY EFFORT WILL BE MADE TO OFFSET TRANSFERS THROUGH INTENSIFIED P RES RECRUITING AND ENCOURAGING REG F MEMBERS AT THE END OF THEIR TOS TO CT TO THE P RES

yeah right, I'm doing a CT from RMS clerk to NES op, and I've been waiting for 6 months now, as if it was a real rush for them to get people ...

You should probably look into that/jump on you're unit's head to find out where you're file is!!!

I'm putting through my CT from Infantry to Sig Op and hopefully I won't wait anywhere NEAR that length of time!!!

Goodluck,
Joe

It took me over a year to CT/OT from Inf to ACS Tec (Awesome trade)

Rob

The intent of the CANFORGEN was to accelerate skilled transfers - that is, for RMS Clks to join the Reg F as RMS clks or NES Ops to join as NES Ops.  CTs into another occupation (really, a Component Transfer coupled with a Remuster) do little to address immediate personnel requirements - recruit school bypass relives stress on the recruit school, but does nothing to lessen the stress in other training establishments.

I am not familiar with the training for NES Ops, but as a relatively small occupation I suspect there are few QL3 serials annually.  Intake of CTs who wish to undergo a remuster is usually scheduled to coincide with their new occupational training, to avoid having pers sitting idle.  That may be an issue in your CT (as I'm not a recruiter, don't take my word as gospel).

It is important to pursue parent Reserve units and CFRCs to ensure your file is moving forward.  There are many stories of files becoming lost or misdirected (or forgotten at the bottom of a basket).

My file was sent to the proper place, it's just sitting on a desk I suppose.

Well I called the recruiting center in Toronto since it was the only one still open in my time zone, and tomorrow I will drop by the one in montreal, cause in the mean time that my file is waiting I moved to a different area and will request for my file to be transfered there if that is possible of course.

I'm going to start pushing a little bit more to get info on my file. If I know why I am waiting then it makes it easier.

Now, let's see if an accelerated Component Transfer process can include something to soften the blow to Reserve units.  How about a bounty paid directly to the unit? Something that the CO can put into his own recruiting and retention initiatives, since it only downloads more of the recruiting and initial training dilemma to the armoury floor. I suspect a fraction of the costs saved in Basic and trades training by enrolling a CT could be paid to the unit while still showing a large saving overall.

Of course, what about the other side of the coin - the Reg F member who releases and joins a Reserve unit.  Should the Reserve pay a bounty for getting such a soldier?

Just on a dollars and cents level:  last year there were ~400 CTs from the Army Reserve, but only 40% stayed in the same occupation.  Would the bounty be the same for both types?  Variable depending on rank? 

Let's assume a two-year reimbursement, $10K per year, per soldier who transfers.  That's $8M per year - not a lot in the cosmic scheme of things, but still difficult to find in the Army (or CF) right now.

It doesn't have to be that large to be effective. Alternatively, losing 10 soldiers at a flat $2K bounty each eases the cost for a unit to pay a fulltime recruiter. 

Generating troops for the Reg force is part of the Reserve's "raison-d'être!

I went thru the experience of losing 4 or 5 Sr NCOs one year to the Regs..... and I did not begrudge them one bit....

well my unit has losts all it's clerk or most of them, we had a few on the side but they never wanted to show up, the only one that stayed there was the Mcpl and well she sure didn't help for the other to stay.

One of the Mcpl once walked in with a pair of construction hear muffs as a "in your face" joke.

If someone wants to transfer to their own trade then there is absolutely no reason for the never ever plan to be invoked!

Make sure they are med fit, give em an interview and if they are acceptable then they should be put on 180 day class C contract, at an interrim rank, with the receiving unit getting on with it ASAP.

The bureaucratic russian roulette bull hockey makes no sense and has to stop.

There are few units that lost 10+ people last year - by my count, seven UICs report 10 or more - and several of those are CBG or Area HQs; presumably, the CBG collected some of the files to keep them off the unit lists.

And 75% of CTs are Pte/Cpl, OCdt/2Lt... the (short-term) impact isn't that great on units, other than the need to recruit.

The dream (not yet realized) is that a CT would be no more than a posting message:  "Cpl Bloggins, Royal Buckshot Fusiliers, Res F, is posted to 3rd Bn, PPCLI, Reg F".

Of course, one obstacle to that ever becoming reality is the rather haphazard administration in many Reserve units.  How many units ensure medical profiles are up-to-date for all their pers?  Security clearances?  How many names still appear in pay and HR systems because units are "too busy" to clean them up?  (One unit had over 100 such files a few months ago - fortunately, they've started a late cleanup).

Though the admin is sneered at by many, if it isn't done right it has a direct impact on our soldiers.

Admin & med file clean ups are, after all, administrative procedures.
These problems should not, IMHO, interfere with component transfers when there is a willing & qualified individual AND a Reg unit willing to take him/her into their ranks.

Instead of cooling their heels for 6, 12 or 18 months, these soldiers should be "activated", placed on some form of Class C contract.  The Reg unit has access to all the administrative resources they need to fastrack the reservist asking for the CT.

To me, it's a simple problem getting blown way out of proportion.

I'll throw a bone in here...what about Res Frce mbr's who want to CT to a "remuster only" trade?

For me, I definitely would have been interested in AES Op, however, you can't even put your name in for that trade, which they may be short in, as a PRes type.

Get rid of the BS like that.

Back