• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer (CT) - Regular to Reserve [MERGED]

Zombie

Reaction score
I've read a lot about going from Reserves to the Reg Force, but does the opposite happen often - going from Reg Force to Reserves?

Yes, you would have to identify the unit and ensure that they confirm they have a space that you can be moved to (units are limited in the numbers, ranks and trades they can accept). The release section would have more information about the process and should be contacted for an initial interview as soon as you are considering a release from the Reg F and transfer to the Primary Reserve, in case any of the steps will require time to coordinate such as letter s back and forth to the unit from yourself and or the Release Section. If you don't allow enough lead time the release may be processed anyway and you will be stuck re-applying to the reserves as an ex-servicemember, which can be a long and painful process.

You can apply prior to release in fact the release section prefers it that way.  The key is to contact the reserve unit you wish to join and see if they have a position for you.  If they do, they get them to send a message to your release section with the position number.  While you still go through release procedures, you are actually going through via a component transfer and there is no break in service.

My second BE ends next year and I have refused to sign for my 25.  I'm interested in working with the reserves after my contract.  what steps can I take to transfer over?

A few things.  First find a reserve unit that might have a spot for you.  When you release, you can transfer over to them.  Just make sure the admin people are informed so they can take the necessary steps.  If you'd rather take a break or can't find a unit ensure that you are placed on the Supplementary Reserve (SR).  It'll save you time when you decide to join a reserve unit.

Good luck.

What if you want to transfer to apply for a contract being offered? Is it the same proceedure? Do you have to apply to the contract before you ask for your release?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Crantor said:
A few things.  First find a reserve unit that might have a spot for you.  When you release, you can transfer over to them.  Just make sure the admin people are informed so they can take the necessary steps.  If you'd rather take a break or can't find a unit ensure that you are placed on the Supplementary Reserve (SR).  It'll save you time when you decide to join a reserve unit.

Good luck.

I thought that this was pretty good advice.  I didn't have a Reserve unit accept me before Release, and it took almost two years for the paper work to be done.  I in the meantime had my Trades Crses and everything done, before I did a CFAT and BPSO interview.  It was just the Administrative paperwork will take forever if you don't follow the advice that Crantor gave in the post above yours.

Sgt_Peppers99 said:
What if you want to transfer to apply for a contract being offered? Is it the same proceedure? Do you have to apply to the contract before you ask for your release?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By contract, I am assuming you mean Class B contract.

While I am not sure of all the in's and out's, I have seen several Reg Frce folks at my 2nd last unit, before I CTd Regs, apply for Class B positions.  They won the competition and then submitted their release and when they tranferred to the PRes, they went right into the position # in the unit. 

In the case of the Sgt that replaced me, he did the interview, was offered the position, submitted his release, and RFD after his leave was used, and was released from the Reg's.  He did not put in his release/CT from Reg to Res until he had the msg stating he was being offered the position.

MRM

Yes I am talking about a Class B contract.  Thanks for the information I truly appreciate it.

Hello there, I was wondering if it is possible and if so, what is the first step to switch from regular to reserve before your contract is up.

Thanks.

Testify said:
Hello there, I was wondering if it is possible and if so, what is the first step to switch from regular to reserve before your contract is up.

Thanks.

YES.

You should find a Reserve Unit that will accept you first.  Arrange to meet with them and perhaps get an acceptance letter or some form of documentation stating that they have accepted you.  Inform the RELEASE SECTION of what unit has accepted you and they will process you as a CT.

If you don't have a Reserve Unit to go to prior to the mid point of your Release, ensure that you are put on the Supp List.  That will keep your file active, not sent to Archives, and will allow you to find a Unit to join after Release.  If you land up going onto the Supp List, you may have to go through the CFRC again to join the Reserves.

If you are changing Trades, you will still have to do the BPSO interviews and depending on how long you have been in, may also have to do a CFAT.

George Wallace said:
YES.

You should find a Reserve Unit that will accept you first.  Arrange to meet with them and perhaps get an acceptance letter or some form of documentation stating that they have accepted you.  Inform the RELEASE SECTION of what unit has accepted you and they will process you as a CT.

If you don't have a Reserve Unit to go to prior to the mid point of your Release, ensure that you are put on the Supp List.  That will keep your file active, not sent to Archives, and will allow you to find a Unit to join after Release.  If you land up going onto the Supp List, you may have to go through the CFRC again to join the Reserves.

If you are changing Trades, you will still have to do the BPSO interviews and depending on how long you have been in, may also have to do a CFAT.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast!

I am still a little confused.  Once I get an acceptance letter, where do I bring that?  To my chain of command?  And do I not need approval from my OC or anything like that?  And what is a CT?

Thanks!

Testify said:
Thanks for getting back to me so fast!

I am still a little confused.  Once I get an acceptance letter, where do I bring that?  To my chain of command?  And do I not need approval from my OC or anything like that?  And what is a CT?

Thanks!

As you are thinking of getting out, you should be attending SCAN Seminars when they are held. 

A CT, Component Transfer, is the same if you are joining the Regs from the Reserves, or joining the Reserves from the Regs.  The process is different.  Once you start your RELEASE procedure, the Release Section does everything for you.  They are the ones who will process your transfer to a Reserve Unit, so it is them who need the info.  By this time your old/former unit's Chain of Command really doesn't have much or anything to do with you.

George Wallace said:
As you are thinking of getting out, you should be attending SCAN Seminars when they are held. 

A CT, Component Transfer, is the same if you are joining the Regs from the Reserves, or joining the Reserves from the Regs.  The process is different.  Once you start your RELEASE procedure, the Release Section does everything for you.  They are the ones who will process your transfer to a Reserve Unit, so it is them who need the info.  By this time your old/former unit's Chain of Command really doesn't have much or anything to do with you.

Ok, so I just go to the release office of my unit tell them what is going on and no one in my unit needs to deal with it?  No memos or anything?

Thanks again!

Here is my situation...I had served in the PRes for a couple of years and then CT'd to the Reg F and am currently serving my first BE.  My BE will be up in October but I would like to CT to the PRes before then.  What is the process?  What would my release item be?  Would it be 4(b) - on completion of contract even though I'm asking to transfer early?  or 4(c) - other reasons?  And what process to I take to make the  CT? 

IAW CF Mil Instr 03/08:
Table 6: Application for CT - Reg F to PRes  Step Action
1 The member obtains a position from the Reserve Unit If mbr requires any career action (e.g., occupation transfer), selection processing is completed by local BPSO in conjunction with losing unit.
2 The member applies to the Release Section in writing at least 30 days prior to the transfer date. Member should familiarize him/herself with implications of CT on pension benefits. 
3 The Release Section confirms the position number provided by the gaining unit.
4 Gaining Unit obtains approval from next higher HQ level in cases of career action after PSO recommends career action.
5 The Release Section transfers the member directly to the position.

But shouldn't ones chain of comd be some where in all this?  Don't I need to submit a memo to my CO?  Or does the CO have no say?  I can just go directly to the release section with my request to transfer?  Thanks for any help in clearing this up.

GI JANE said:
Here is my situation...I had served in the PRes for a couple of years and then CT'd to the Reg F and am currently serving my first BE.  My BE will be up in October but I would like to CT to the PRes before then.  What is the process?  What would my release item be?  Would it be 4(b) - on completion of contract even though I'm asking to transfer early?  or 4(c) - other reasons?  And what process to I take to make the  CT? 

IAW CF Mil Instr 03/08:
Table 6: Application for CT - Reg F to PRes  Step Action
1 The member obtains a position from the Reserve Unit If mbr requires any career action (e.g., occupation transfer), selection processing is completed by local BPSO in conjunction with losing unit.
2 The member applies to the Release Section in writing at least 30 days prior to the transfer date. Member should familiarize him/herself with implications of CT on pension benefits. 
3 The Release Section confirms the position number provided by the gaining unit.
4 Gaining Unit obtains approval from next higher HQ level in cases of career action after PSO recommends career action.
5 The Release Section transfers the member directly to the position.

But shouldn't ones chain of comd be some where in all this?  Don't I need to submit a memo to my CO?  Or does the CO have no say?  I can just go directly to the release section with my request to transfer?  Thanks for any help in clearing this up.

As answered already to this question:

GI JANE said:
I am currently serving a BE and my contract is up next autumn but I'd like to get out before then.  Is this possible and how do I go about it?  I'd appreciate any help, thanks. ???

George Wallace said:
Like any other Voluntary Release (VR) you would start by writing a memo requesting it, through your Chain of Command.  The final decision as to when you will be Released will be in the hands of the CF. 

You will have to go through your Chain of Command if you wish to Release.  Even if your contract expires, your Chain of Command will have paperwork for you to sign.  Then you go to the Release Section and follow the Steps as you have posted in your post above.

So do I submit a memo to my chain of comd and wait until I get a response or should I do that and contact the release sect with posn # to transfer to res?

If I was to request a CT from Reg Navy to Rsrv Army, I have to first find a unit and then contact the release office and deal with them accordingly, but is it risky to leave reg force with 2 years left on a contract and join a reserve unit? any help would be appreciated!!

Hi,

So out of curiosity, and I know it isn't too common, is there a way, as a Pte to switch from the Reg Force to PRes?? Not that I don't like the RegF or nothing  :p Its just I want to know if there's a way to still serve and pursue my own goals (ie. school on my own time [without having to sign a longer contract])?

Thanks guys.

PS. Anyone know if, not only RegF to PRes, but can you go Navy RegF to Army PRes??

Back