• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer (CT) - Regular to Reserve [MERGED]

wannabepilot said:
  That's fine to say that the info comes from the PSO and the release section but there has to be an admin instruction/order so that there is a guideline/standard to follow.

And there is no compulsory time that I have to serve.

CFAO 15-2: Release - Regular Force
QR&O Chapter 15: Release
CMP Instruction 03/08: Canadian Forces Component Transfer and Component Transfer Career Programs - web link:
- http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/03-08-eng.asp

Hope that gives you the info you need.

Hello, im a VEHTECH just starting my training at CFB Borden. I want to do a component transfer within my trade to the primary reserves so that i can go to college and work closer to home. has anyone ever done this or have any tips to make it work?

First you will have to find a reserve unit that will take you.  Then when you do your release from the Reg Force you will tell the release clerk that you want to transfer to the reserves.  You will need to get a position number from the reserve unit and give it to the release clerk.  A fairly straight forward process.

I was a reservist for 6 plus years, transfered to the regs, and well I would rather have not.  my VIE is not over yet.  is it possible to put in for a CT assuming of course I have a unit willing to take me in the reserve world? what is the process?

I am in the process right now,  so this is what I have done so far.

I was offered my 18 year contract,  I didn't want it so I signed no, etc  That started up some other paperwork and I said I would like to transfer into the P Res after my release.  I selected a Reserve unit I wanted to join,  contacted them and after the RSM says yes I will get a position number which gets me a spot in the unit upon my release.  I am still waiting out for the RSM approval,  so I am not 100% sure on what happens next after getting a position number. 

Since you wish(I assume that is what you want to do?) to VR from the Regular Force and join a Reserve unit it may be a bit different.  My friend who did it wrote up his VR memo and said he would like to join a Reserve unit and at some point in the release process the unit said they would take him. 

Best course of action is to contact the Reserve unit you wish to join and start speaking with them.  They will be able to give you more info,  as well speak with your clerk as they will be able to get more info as to what you need to do now. 

Also,  the BPSO has nothing to do with this... I know because I called their office and the person(wasn't the BPSO,  perhaps it was a clerk?) on the phone pretty much made me feel like an idiot for calling them about this as they do not have any part in the process of going Reg-Reserve(even if you are changing trades)

-Skeletor- said:
I am in the process right now,  so this is what I have done so far.

I was offered my 18 year contract,  I didn't want it so I signed no, etc  That started up some other paperwork and I said I would like to transfer into the P Res after my release.  I selected a Reserve unit I wanted to join,  contacted them and after the RSM says yes I will get a position number which gets me a spot in the unit upon my release.  I am still waiting out for the RSM approval,  so I am not 100% sure on what happens next after getting a position number. 

Since you wish to VR from the Regular Force and join a Reserve unit it may be a bit different.  My friend who did it wrote up his memo and said he would like to join a Reserve unit and at some point in the release process the unit said they would take him.

Unless I'm mistaken, it would not be a release but a component transfer-?  Unless you're actually getting out of the CF altogether and re-enrolling a few days/months later (perhaps not recommended, as a gap in svc can affect various benefits). 

I still sometimes hear people referring to "getting out of the military and joining the reserves", but this is thankfully waning.  :not-again:

Anyway good luck to both of you in the process. 

PCP medic77 said:
what is the process?

"The other component transfer- - Reg to PRes":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/97992.0.html

"Component Transfer Reg to PRes":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/101161.0

"CT from Reg to Resv":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/63083.0

"Transfering to reserves":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/98446.0

Hello Everyone,

I have a question to the people who may have better knowledge than me in this... So my question is : I just Transferred to the reserves after my 3 year initial contract in the regular force, and was wondering with all the time i did in reg forces shouldn't i be promoted to coporal ? My new unit recruiter said to me i will have my rank upon completion of my trade Trainning this summer but i tought the rank of coporal was given automatically considering the time i did in reg. force. because Coporal comes automatically after 4 years in reg forces... Does the reserve work differently, and if they're doing it wrong how should i approach them to tell them i need to get my corporals.  because i think the transfer procces was done so quicly that it seems they forgot alot of steps...

So that is my question i hope some may have a good answer, and i apologize my english i am a French so i did my best to make no mistakes.

Thank you,

Pte. Rivet
Adsum

I don't get the feeling that approaching your CoC and telling them "you're doing my promotion wrong" is going to get you anywhere positive...

Likely the trade qualification is the issue. Because you transferred to a different trade, they can't promote you until you get the requirements to be a Cpl in that specific trade which you do not have.  TI isn't the issue the qualification is.  If you had transferred in as a Cpl you would be a Cpl in your original trade until you became  a Cpl in your new trade.  In your case you can't become a Cpl in your new trade until you get all the checks in the box, one of which is trade qualification.

Ok, just one more thing than..

Why when i was on my DP1 for my trade course that there was some reservists that just transferred in reg, kept their coporal ranks even tough they didn't have the training needed for the rank. is it because the opposite works differently ( Reserve to Regular) ? Just making sure.

They likely qualified for Cpl prior to transfer. By your own admission, you did not. Therein lies the difference.

Cpl is an uncontrolled rank, so if you have it in the reserves you typically keep it going to the RegF even if you're changing trades. Were you a Cpl in the RegF? If not, don't expect it until you're at least DP1 qualified in your new trade, and that promotion will be Acting/Lacking until you're DP2 qualified.

Jeremie.Rivet said:
Hello Everyone,

I have a question to the people who may have better knowledge than me in this... So my question is : I just Transferred to the reserves after my 3 year initial contract in the regular force, and was wondering with all the time i did in reg forces shouldn't i be promoted to coporal ? My new unit recruiter said to me i will have my rank upon completion of my trade Trainning this summer but i tought the rank of coporal was given automatically considering the time i did in reg. force. because Coporal comes automatically after 4 years in reg forces... Does the reserve work differently, and if they're doing it wrong how should i approach them to tell them i need to get my corporals.  because i think the transfer procces was done so quicly that it seems they forgot alot of steps...

Adsum

The rank of Cpl in the reserves is not an automagic promotion.  Although the minimum time for entry into the promotion zone to Cpl is two years, the CO is under no obligation to promote the privates - he "may" but not "will." 

Further to that the CO "may" count your service in the Reg F towards your PRes promotion, or he "may not."

Hello,

Before I begin with my topic I would like to state that I had used the search function with no success. If anyone else has different luck with it, please point me in the right direction as it would be greatly appreciated.

Out with it now... As the topic implies I'm looking for info about how to switch from the Regular Force to the Reserves and what the process would include. Currently, I'm posted in Kingston, ON awaiting my ACISS DP 1.0 which begins on the 10th of this month. Lately however I've found myself increasingly upset (because of this I feel as though I lack the focus I'll require) with issues going on at home (Calgary is where I'm originally from) and no way to deal with them while I'm here. With all that's going on I figured maybe I'm not quite ready for the reg force, not until I have everything sorted out, and then maybe a few years down the line, transfer back when I know I have my life under control.

I'm going to see if I can talk with my staff tomorrow but what I'm really looking for is some extra input on my situation. 

Thank you.

Back