• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

Scott said:
Deelo, you have to tell us, what is your opinion on being allowed your iPhone during BMQ? I can assure you we are dying to know.

I could go with or without. While it would be nice to have regular visual contact with my wife via FaceTime, access to my iPhone won't be on the top of my priority list when I do receive a scheduled date for BMQ. I'm looking forward to going on course, keeping my lips buttoned tight and learning from those who know. If my best chance to learn is by going without my beloved iPhone, then so be it. In truth, I believe electronics to be in the same boat as any other distraction, ie the opposite sex, alcohol, etc. If one can put station jobs, personal tasks, and the general welfare of his/her platoon ahead of these distractions, I believe they will be in good stead on course. Then again, having never actually BEEN on a military course myself, this is speculation at it's finest.

More of my cents.

I am a little unclear about the "merit list."

If I am "merit listed", am I put on a waiting list for each trade that I have applied for? Can I be merit listed for one trade and not the others even though I am qualified and the trades are open?

My situation:

I was merit listed a year ago, not sure for which trade, or if for all 3. I have since changed my 3rd choice to a different trade and rearranged my trade priorities. My CFAT score is high enough that I do not have to re-write, I do, however, need to do a new interview,  which has been scheduled. Considering the interview goes well, will I be merit listed and have the year of "merit list time/seniority" applied to the new trade? Will it start at square one?

I am hoping that I will be considered for my new choice for this April's selection. I am almost considering removing the second and third choice, but I do not want to spend another year or more waiting around at my tired old job.

Wilamanjaro said:
"merit list time/seniority" 

No such thing. If someone comes along who is better qualified than you for the trade, you move down the list, and that person gets in ahead of you.

Consequently, it is possible that you can move straight to the top of the merit list for your new trade selection, depending on how your interview goes and who else is on the list. It's all up to you and what you've done to improve your application over the past year.

Wilamanjaro said:
I have since changed my 3rd choice to a different trade and rearranged my trade priorities.

The recruiting center does not hold a priority on your three choices, the three choices you have chosen are all considered your number one choice.

Also if you've been on the merit list make sure you check on your medical as well to make sure its fine, I know some people say its good for 2 years but I was told just like the merit listing your medical is only good for 1 year and then you just have to go in for a little update medical. Wouldn't want them to say oh well we would love to merit list you but your medical needs redone then youd have to wait to schedule that and then be merit listed.

Just my  :2c:

Best of luck this year :)

Nichfour said:
The recruiting center does not hold a priority on your three choices, the three choices you have chosen are all considered your number one choice.

Actually I have been informed otherwise by my file manager and all staff I have spoken to at the RC that is processing my application. I have been told that your assigned order of trade preference actually DOES matter. Where did you get your information?

Every recruiter I have spoken to about this subject at both the National recruiting center in north bay and in London Ontario have told me the order is of no consequence. I would give you the names of every recruiter in order but for fear of having their email filled with the same question over and over by people on this forum I will not name drop.  :-X

Again this is just what i have been told by 2 recruiters in London and 2 in North bay I have never heard the contrary. I didn't call and ask the same question four times but in answering some other questions I had the recruiters were quick to reassure me that order held no bearing as a follow up to the questions I had about my application.

If someone could shed some light on the true nature of the subject with more experience than an "applicant" like myself I'd be more than happy to take that information into account.

regards

Wilamanjaro said:
I am a little unclear about the "merit list."

If I am "merit listed", am I put on a waiting list for each trade that I have applied for? Can I be merit listed for one trade and not the others even though I am qualified and the trades are open?

You are merit listed for all trades that you selected and are qualified for.

Nichfour said:
Every recruiter I have spoken to about this subject at both the National recruiting center in north bay and in London Ontario have told me the order is of no consequence. I would give you the names of every recruiter in order but for fear of having their email filled with the same question over and over by people on this forum I will not name drop.  :-X

Again this is just what i have been told by 2 recruiters in London and 2 in North bay I have never heard the contrary. I didn't call and ask the same question four times but in answering some other questions I had the recruiters were quick to reassure me that order held no bearing as a follow up to the questions I had about my application.

If someone could shed some light on the true nature of the subject with more experience than an "applicant" like myself I'd be more than happy to take that information into account.

regards

It doesn't really matter per se to CFRG, you can be selected and offered a position for your 2nd and 3rd choice over your higher choice(s) for any number of reasons.  When the file manager calls to tell you about the job offer you can simply tell them you are declining and holding out for your higher choice.  A note is made on your decision and you go back to playing the waiting game. 

I just got off the phone with a recruiter and wanted to double check the nature of my earlier assumptions, and make sure I didn't give any false information. It is true that the RC tries to give you your first choice (so there is some order value) but lets say for example, recruit A is applying for infantry, combat eng and crewman. Recruit B is applying for Combat eng, crewman and ACIS Tech.

If recruit A's main choice (infanteer) is not processing applications at the time when combat eng is processing than both applicants would be held in the same regard and recruit B would not hold any priority derived from having combat eng as his/her 1st choice trade. So at the same time yes trade choices do hold bearing for the individual in terms of, the RC will try to give you your first choice trade, but when it comes to what trades are actually processing applications the order will not matter when comparing who is more suitable for the trade regardless of what order you chose your trades.

Just wanted to get my facts straightened out sorry for any miss communication, I stand corrected in some regards due to the fault of my own interpretation but the main point is the order wont effect your status for any trades in terms of priority with the RC.

Now if all 3 of both recruit A and B's trades were open and processing I'm not sure what would happen in terms of ordered priority, but I'm sure it would be a simple answer along the lines of the RC would try to process you for your first choice trade but if something were to happen such as not scoring high enough on your CFAT or the trade closing during processing the same rules would apply, i.e that the order in which you chose the trades would hold no bearing and you would be processed for your second choice without penalty providing you still meet the standard for that trade. Again I don't know for sure that is just what I imagine would happen if someone knows better than please correct my ignorance.

Regards and sorry if I am just repeating what you posted Hatchet Man and Deelo and just rewording it, I just want to make sure I am clear on the subject and anyone else who reads into the merit list will get their questions answered through the search function.

You aren't processed for any one trade. You are processed for suitablity in the CF, based on all trades you have selected and are qualified and M/L'ed for (if you don't qualify for it, you won't be M/Led for it, if say a trade is closed or is about to close, you may or may not be M/L'ed it depends on what direction the RC has recieved from higher.)  You kinda overthinking things.  The order of priority only really has an influence if you happen to get offers for more than one trade, it doesn't really effect how you're merit listed or how you are assessed.  Its basically a guide so the RC's know what trades you really want, and if you happen to get offers for more than one trade, they will present an offer for your highest choice. 

tanman89 said:
I was told just like the merit listing your medical is only good for 1 year and then you just have to go in for a little update medical.

Spoke to a recruiter today, she mentioned that the medical is good for two years. With some trades however, like pilot, the medical will expire after only a year.

Wilamanjaro said:
Spoke to a recruiter today, she mentioned that the medical is good for two years. With some trades however, like pilot, the medical will expire after only a year.

Intersting I am going to get clarification on this tomorrow.  It might be a regional thing.

Wilamanjaro said:

Agreed, Hatchet Man, I've heard numerous times from my RC that the medical is only good for a year, regardless of trade choice.

I have been merit listed for 9 months but going thru the process for 1.5 years... after a year u have to redo everything.. medical background check etc

cnobbs84 said:
I have been merit listed for 9 months but going thru the process for 1.5 years... after a year u have to redo everything.. medical background check etc

Which is how it should be.  One standard across the board, keeps applicants like you from getting all confused.

Confirmed Part 1 medicals are valid for 1 year, Part 2 medicals are valid for 2 years.

Hatchet Man said:
Confirmed Part 1 medicals are valid for 1 year, Part 2 medicals are valid for 2 years.

Part two medical? I thought it was just one medical that lasts for a year before you have to update.

Back