• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comparing the Regiments (PPCLI, RCR, and R22eR) and thier bases

Not limited to the Vandoos but ........

.......beards.....

Seems troops from Quebec don't like to shave

;D

IMO it is redundent to compare Regiemnts they all have their characteristics that change yearly with different COs and other members, this even is apparent with the different Battalions within each rgt they all have distinct differences strange but true in an army that says it reads from the same book

Thanks for the answers :D

I'll make sure to grow a beard to keep that trend going!

I mean come on now Scotty what do you know  ;D

Maybe LFQA is handing out more shaving chits to offset all the revoked boot chits  ::) It's true though, there are a LOT of Vandoos with beards. It tends to stand out.

HighlandIslander said:
Maybe LFQA is handing out more shaving chits to offset all the revoked boot chits  ::) It's true though, there are a LOT of Vandoos with beards. It tends to stand out.
P

Probably emulating the Goat. Billys have beards don't they?

Drummy

TRADITIONALLY members of the combat pioneer platoons in each battalion wore beards now you can only get a medical chit if your face is scaly  ;D

May be a silly question but im throwin'er out there.

I AM willing to put my life into the cf as an infantryman if accepted. But do have a fiance and want to have kids. I want to go overseas and help out the best i can and i love to push my self to breaking points and function on 5 hours sleep pretty well. But am worried i wont have enough time for a wife and kids. Will it be that time consuming that having a family is a bad idea?

Also, when not over seas, do infantrymen work a certain number of hours a week? Or just freelance?

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post! But am having a hard time finding the answers to my questions in other threads, and most life as an infantryman threads are locked.

Again, i'm sorry for any inconvenience !

Mosher said:

I AM willing to put my life into the cf as an infantryman if accepted. But do have a fiance and want to have kids. I want to go overseas and help out the best i can and i love to push my self to breaking points and function on 5 hours sleep pretty well. But am worried i wont have enough time for a wife and kids. Will it be that time consuming that having a family is a bad idea?

Also, when not over seas, do infantrymen work a certain number of hours a week? Or just freelance?

There are a lot of soldiers with families and they make it work. I am single with no kids so it would be outside my "lane" to give advice on that. 

As for freelance, we are not mercenaries we do our jobs.  There are several threads about day to day activities.  I would try reading this one first. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/1897.0.html

Mosher said:

When not deployed you will have a schedule.  Sometimes you will be very busy, such as during pre-deployment training, other times not so much.  Sometimes you may be sent away on training courses, other times you'll be in your home garrison for weeks/months at a time.  When you're in your home garrison, you'll get to see your family on evenings and weekends when you're not on exercise in the local training area.

Many soldiers in the infantry balance work and family lives successfully.  Divorces happen just as they do in any field of work, and they aren't always related to the demands of the profession.

You need to spend a little more time thinking about your questions.  Do you really think if being in the infantry prevented soldiers from having families and enjoying them that it wouldn't be a major topic here?

Thank you very much for your reply, i find it hard to find answers to certain questions around here. A lot of beating around the bush of certain questions.

Thats what i was hoping to hear. Your answer has helped me a lot. Its just that the way people talk around here they make it sound like you don't get a minute of your own time in the infantry and if you need your own time "your not ready for the infantry".

Mosher said:

You'll be working with a lot less  than 5 hours, my man...

Battalion life, especially for the troops, tends to be either slow or break-neck fast. Just make sure you enjoy the breaks.

jhk87 said:
You'll be working with a lot less  than 5 hours, my man...

Battalion life, especially for the troops, tends to be either slow or break-neck fast. Just make sure you enjoy the breaks.

Just FYI.  The person you replied to hasn't been active here since 03 Apr 2009.

I am A 4th Generation (and very PROUD) member of the PPCLI Family.  We go all the way back to the originals under Hamilton Gault. I have worked with and for members of the RCR over the course of my career. I find them to be a very professional lot. But the key think that I noticed is the very essence of it all. I consider every Patricia to be my Brother or Sister. I did not notice the same qualities in Our RCR cousins. For me I would rather serve with Family ......

Sharpeshooter said:
I consider every Patricia to be my Brother or Sister. I did not notice the same qualities in Our RCR cousins. For me I would rather serve with Family ......

That's a matter of perspective, they probably didn't feel it from you either, although what they experienced within the RCR regimental family was most likely very similar to the experience you describe with other Patricias.

does one have to know french to be sent to the Vandoos? or could one be sent and learn french there at the base??

Boz519 said:
does one have to know french to be sent to the Vandoos? or could one be sent and learn french there at the base??

It is easier on the Officer side, as they can attend phase-trg in english, then be sent to a R22eR Battalion. I know a number of anglos who did that, out of choice or not, and they all seem happy with the turn of events. They usually learn french in a short time, as they are in complete immersion and expected to function in french, find themselves a cute Québec girl and become assimilated  ;)

On the NCM side, it is more difficult as the trg is only done in french at the ATC. One would need a working knowledge of french to attend the course. Another way would be to join another Regt, then transfer after Inf trg. This has been done before.

Back