• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commuting to PFT in Portage?

cmdj1982

Reaction score
Good day everyone. I am currently in ROTP with PFT in Portage in my future (unless I can manage to get my license before then). I live in Winnipeg and I am just wondering if it could be possible to commute to Southport/Portage daily for my PFT (Google Maps has me pegged at being 54 minutes away), or if I would be expected to live in Southport for the duration of that training? I ask since I have 3 kids in shared custody with me, and although I know I will have to give that up when I get posted, I am trying to figure out right now if there is a possibility that it would be able to continue during my time in PFT, or if I should just scrap the idea right now and prepare for that time to be spent largely away from the kids and focused on training even though being only an hour away from them. Obviously I know I would still see them on weekends and such; but I am just more curious about the daily schedule and expectations involved.

Thanks for any info you can provide me :)

No. Winnipeg is outside Southport's geographical area and you will be too busy studying to spend two hours a day on the road commuting.  You will be able to go home on weekends.

cmdj1982 said:
I live in Winnipeg and I am just wondering if it could be possible to commute to Southport/Portage daily for my PFT

Pilots Awaiting Training Questions 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/40481.0;nowap
infamous_p said:
For those who have gone through PFT/BFT, is it permissible for candidates to live off base while on course?

If so, is a commute from the Winnipeg area to Portage reasonable?

SupersonicMax said:
Summer, yes.  Winter, the road may be closed.

Dimsum said:
In the summer, the drive (one-way) from west Winnipeg to Southport is, at best, an hour.

MAJONES said:
No. Winnipeg is outside Southport's geographical area and you will be to busy studying to spent two hours a day on the road commuting.  You will be able to go home on weekends.

Done & done. Thank you for the info :)

Back