• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commuting costs - required to travel to work twice in 24 hours

RADOPSIGOPACCISOP

Inactive
Reaction score
I currently commute to work by bicycle.

I am now being asked to work at different times of day, sometimes coming in for an hour in the morning and then working a late shift.

Am I entitled to commuting costs (ie taxi) if I have to come back into work at night (no transit available, road is dangerous to bike at night) if I had already reported in for duty that day?

If so, what is the reference for this?

best I can think of at the moment that might help:

CFTDI:

5.24 Recall to work

Subject to instruction 5.20 (General), a member who is recalled from home to the member’s workplace is - if the recall is the second trip to the workplace in a 24 hour period - entitled to be reimbursed:
a.in respect of a member using a PMV, two times the kilometric rate for the direct road distance between the member’s home and the workplace; and
b.in respect of a member using local transportation - including buses, subways, commuter trains, taxis, bridge tolls, docking fees, and other transportation charges - authorized by the approving authority ordering the recall, the member’s actual and reasonable expenses including gratuities.

5.26 Disruption - irregular hours
1.(Entitlement) Subject to instruction 5.20 (General), a member is entitled to be reimbursed for travel expenses to and from their workplace if all of the following conditions are satisfied: a.an approving authority orders the member to work irregular hours one day;
b.the irregular hours disrupt the member’s regular travel to and from their permanent workplace that day; and
c.no alternative transportation is provided to the member at public expense.

2.(Amount) The amount of reimbursement is the amount of the formula (A – B) where:
•A is cost of disrupted travel including gratuities; and
•B is the cost of regular travel to and from the permanent workplace on a daily basis.

Back