• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communist China threatens us over Dalai Lama visit....

Cdn Blackshirt

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I know no one in the Liberal Party has the spine to tell them to pound salt, but I really hope Harper tells them to bugger off.

Matthew.  :mad:

Excerpted from CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/07/26/canada.dalai.china.reut/index.html)

China to Canada: Dalai Lama award could hurt ties

Wednesday, July 26, 2006; Posted: 2:56 p.m. EDT (18:56 GMT)

OTTAWA, Canada (Reuters) -- China said on Wednesday that Canada's decision to bestow honorary citizenship on the Dalai Lama could hurt commercial relations between the two countries, which have been steadily growing stronger.

The Tibetan leader-in-exile, who fled his homeland in 1959 after a failed uprising against Chinese rule, is considered by Beijing to be a separatist.

Canada's Parliament unanimously approved the award of an honorary citizenship last month, which will be bestowed on the Dalai Lama when he visits Vancouver in early September.

The honor will mark the third time Canada has bestowed honorary citizenship. The others are former South African President Nelson Mandela and Swedish businessman Raoul Wallenberg, who saved the lives of thousands of Jews in World War II.

Zhang Weidong, political counselor at the Chinese embassy in Ottawa, Canada, said his officials had already complained to the Foreign Ministry about the award.

"The Dalai Lama is a separatist so I don't think he should be honored with that. That will harm the Canadian image and harm the relationship between China and Canada. We hope these things will not happen in the future," he told a news conference.

More than a million people of Chinese descent live in Canada and trade between the two nations is increasing rapidly.

Among the firms doing business in China is Bombardier Inc., which built most of the passenger cars for a new high-altitude railway to Tibet.

"China has a big market and we hope we can cooperate with all the countries in the world. But certainly, if some troubles always appear or emerge within the bilateral relationship, then the relationship in other areas certainly will be hurt," said Zhang, who spoke in English.

Asked if this represented a threat to Canadian firms, he replied with a smile: "I don't think it's a threat. I'm just trying to make things clearer. It is a clear fact and very easy to be seen."

....continued.

Pffft...

In the best political niceness I can think of, I would simply say "Go choke on your chopsticks".

Now if China could only do something about those darn pesky people compaining about human rights..... ::)

"Go choke on your chopsticks"
:rofl:
I know no one in the Liberal Party has the spine to tell them to pound salt, but I really hope Harper tells them to bugger off.
I'm sure he will, Harper seems to have bigger cojones.  :p

Back