• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communicator Research

- Does COMM RSCH only work with audio or "electronic communications" also include all kind of communicating device and media (video, internet forums/websites, cellphones, etc)?

Personally I've been searching the internet high and low for anything, all I've gotten was "it deals with signals" and "you'll see on your QL3" (2 more weeks. ;D)    I have no idea how accurate this actually is in relation to the trade, but look up the history of CFS Leitrim.

I apologize if this was answered elsewhere. If so please point me in that direction.

This may be a silly civilian question but here it goes:

I noticed in Comm Research that there is no direct officer equivalent, i.e. Communicator Research "Officer". So how does the officer ranks work for this trade? Do Comm Research Operators deal with Int Officers or Signal Officers for the overall tasks and running of that trade? Sorry if my wording is not quite right, I don't quite understand the nuances of the roles of senior NCMs, e.g. WO, vs Officers.

I am also going to assume that many/some people in the trade have their degree or obtain one during their years of service. Do they usually stay in the trade or do they apply to become officers? If so, where do they usually go?

My other thought is that maybe the trade is interesting and diverse enough, along with the spec pay, that there is no real need or desire by most to change trades in order to become an officer.

Thank you in advance

TheNewt

TheNewt said:
I noticed in Comm Research that there is no direct officer equivalent, i.e. Communicator Research "Officer".

Not the only trade like that, no big deal.

Do Comm Research Operators deal with Int Officers or Signal Officers for the overall tasks and running of that trade?

Depends where they are employed. The running of the trade (career management for example) itself is not done by officers.

Signal Officers are posted to Letrim or 21 EW Regt get the required training to manage Comm Rsch operators in their day to day operations. Int Officers traditionally do not. There are no officer ranks for Comm Rsch.

PuckChaser said:
Signal Officers are posted to Letrim or 21 EW Regt get the required training to manage Comm Rsch operators in their day to day operations.

Remember that 21 and Leitrim are not the only place 291ers are posted to. In some places, as far as i was shown, they work for other officer trades than CELE. CFEWC is one of them.

Majority are going to be at those 2 places though, I mean I could sit and list all of their possible postings but he's not gonna see those right out of CFSCE.

TheNewt said:
I noticed in Comm Research that there is no direct officer equivalent, i.e. Communicator Research "Officer".

aesop081 said:
Not the only trade like that, no big deal.

I understand that there are multiple occupations in the CAF that have no officer equivalent and that this is not a problem. I am interested though: is there a "natural path" for 291ers who do CFR?

Goose15 said:
I am interested though: is there a "natural path" for 291ers who do CFR?

I suppose one could CFR to Sig O or some other related Trade, but not as a Comms Research officer (which as has been pointed out, does not exist).  There is no "natural path".

More likely Int Officer.  Frankly, the Comms Researchers should be in the Int branch to begin with.

George Wallace said:
I suppose one could CFR to Sig O or some other related Trade, but not as a Comms Research officer (which as has been pointed out, does not exist).  There is no "natural path".

Sig O? Okay, fair enough. And I understand there is not a Comms Research Officer occupation, that is why I used the quotations because I know there is not a 100% direct path.

dapaterson said:
More likely Int Officer.  Frankly, the Comms Researchers should be in the Int branch to begin with.

Okay that makes good sense.
Interesting, I was unaware it was not in that branch.

George Wallace said:
What capbadge do you wear?  That should be a clue.

I am not in the CAF. As per my profile I am an applicant. I see now that 291 is a part of the C&E Branch.

George Wallace said:

Sig O's do the lions share of the work with Comms Rsch pers, so it is more a "natural path" than Int O.

PuckChaser said:
Sig O's do the lions share of the work with Comms Rsch pers, so it is more a "natural path" than Int O.

Thanks for the info PuckChaser :)

PuckChaser said:

Sigs and CELE (Air) are the main officer trades associated with the Comms Rsrch trade.

dapaterson,

Having worked in the community, I do not agree that 291ers more naturally belong to the Int branch.  Only a small portion of them do analytic work normally associated with the Int branch, the technical "nexus" is much stronger with their daily tasks and that is the reason they belong to the C&E branch.

D3 said:
Having worked in the community, I do not agree that 291ers more naturally belong to the Int branch.  Only a small portion of them do analytic work normally associated with the Int branch, the technical "nexus" is much stronger with their daily tasks and that is the reason they belong to the C&E branch.

Would you be able to expand on the highlighted statement? I was under the impression that 291 was signals intelligence. Are you saying due to it being SIGINT as oppose to HUMINT that is why they are more associated with C&E? Or did you mean something entirely different?

Are you saying due to it being SIGINT as oppose to HUMINT that is why they are more associated with C&E?

I think the keyword there is Signals.  Which would fall under the C&E branch.

Robert0288 said:

I think the keyword there is Signals.  Which would fall under the C&E branch.

Fair enough. Just wanted to be sure I was on the same page :) :salut:

Back