• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Common Law Marriage in the Canadian Forces - Mega Thread

I was just coming on to Army.ca to post this same question, thanks.  :)

A mutually filed tax return will help prove you've been living together in the same residence as husband and wife.  The timeliness of the application to have your CLR recognized may raise eyebrows if you're doing it just prior to a long seperation, such as a tour or TDY.

After reading all the info, you must meet the criteria to be considered "common-law".  If you don't have the proof then you are out of luck.

Callsign Kenny said:
 The timeliness of the application to have your CLR recognized may raise eyebrows if you're doing it just prior to a long seperation, such as a tour or TDY.

I wondered about this.  Really don't want to cause any problems.

I can't find anything that shows he was here.  Not a bill, not even a Blockbuster membership.  We may be out of luck.

Per the CFAO, it takes an affidavit from the member (Annex C to the CFAO) submitted along with a copy of the Annex A Memorandum.  That is the first step.  The unit or school orderly room should be able to give more guidance on what to do.

I was also wondering about signing a Common-Law Partner Agreement.  From what I have read, it would satisfy the requirements of the Military.  But to get it notarized we may have the same issue with proof.

Has anyone used one of these documents to prove common-law status?

See:

Affidavits and Statutory Declarations
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/daod/7000/0_e.asp

It happens often that people start living together and one already has an appartment or other accommodation under their name. If your landlord knew that he was living with you you can ask them for a letter stating this.  Bring the letter in when you fill out your Comon Law Recognition paper work.  Your CO should be satisfied with this, if not he would have someone call the landlord but in my experience the CO will be satisfied.  The Adjutant would normally check it out.  This happened alot when I was clerking with the Bn.

Hi ... I'm sorry, I'm new to all of this.  I have a boyfriend starting Basic soon - I'm not really sure how any of this works.  When he's done all of his training, what will happen?  When he's posted to a base, would we need to be married or common-law for me to live with him there?

Sunshine,
No one can answer your questions for the future as no one knows what it holds. I suggest you start reading this section of the forum and a lot of different scenario's will be presented to you....

Good luck.

Serenity et al - when it comes to Common-law relationships there is a sure fire method of convincing the CF that you are in one.  The two of you should get together, visit a Notary and get a notarized document stating that you have been living in a Common-Law relationship for X years.  This document is considered law (as you are swearing before a Notary) and no further proof is required.  Submit this civil document along with your memorandum and you're golden.  Get it done before he leaves St-Jean.  Your change in status cannot be processed mid-move or after he has been posted (i.e. if you want to move your stuff too).

Zoomie said:
...The two of you should get together, visit a Notary and get a notarized document stating that you have been living in a Common-Law relationship for X years.  This document is considered law (as you are swearing before a Notary) and no further proof is required. 

This is needed anyway, however they do not have to use or pay a Notary (except perhaps in Que & Sask).  When making application for recognition of a common-law relationship under CFAO 19-41, the member and his common-law spouse are required to complete and submit an affidavit/statutory declaration.  It can be sworn or solemnly declared to a CF officer IAW DAOD 7000-1 (CFAO 59-1).

Stat declarations are not per se military documents but are done under authority of provincial or territorial law.  The CFAO that refers to them specifically outlines the requirements and jurats for each individual province.

Wondering what I need exactly to get the paper work in process.

I know 3 months or more. Drivers lic in the same address. What else.

Just want to do this in one shot at the BOR im not in the building for a while. Can anyone shed some light?

Not sure what you need it for, but I was told that to have Room & Board subsidized while at BMQ i would have to prove that my Wife and I have been common-law for 6 months or longer. Despite having a child together, which I believe makes you common-law, I was told that simply a rental/lease agreement signed by both of us would prove that we live in the same dwelling.

Hope this helps a bit

JDMCRX said:
Wondering what I need exactly to get the paper work in process.

I know 3 months or more. Drivers lic in the same address. What else.

Just want to do this in one shot at the BOR im not in the building for a while. Can anyone shed some light?

Ref: CFAO 19-41 -- COMMON-LAW RELATIONSHIPS

BTW, for the military it is a one year requirement.

I guess ill have to go to the BOR and see ive been with my GF for over 5 years and ive been helping her pay rent for a few years. Im just wondering what i need paper work wise and so forth.

JDMCRX said:
Im just wondering what i need paper work wise and so forth.

9. The member shall make application:

a.  by completing the memorandum at Annex A; and

b.  by completing and attaching to the memorandum, the affidavit or
          statutory declaration shown at Annex C, signed by both parties to
          the common-law relationship.

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Been with her or lived with her?  At least one year in the same residence (not her parents basement) and proof as in a driver licenses (older than a year) with same address, utility bills in both of your names, and/or a lease with both your names on it.  This is in order to get the stat dec signed by an officer. Clear as mud?

Back