• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comments on C7 with 203 Attachment

C

cagomez

Last training night I had the opportunity to handle a c7 with the M203 grenade launcher attachment. From an earlier post other res units have already been receiving their issue but I felt I would just share my immediate reactions to this weapon. Keep in mind that this was the first time I have ever held the weapon so Im no expert, just bear with.

The launcher operates just like you would expect. Push a spring loaded lever to open the breech , position the round and slide back the breech. Sliding it back readys the weapon for firing and a push through safety switch is available just over the trigger. I havent fired the weapon but it does seem that you need a mag attached to act as a pistol grip. What nobody wants to here is that it does add a good bit of weight. Trying to take up a standing fire position just got a lot harder with a laucnher attached. Its not overwhelming but will definitely be a biatch over a long haul especially after pepperpotting long distances. It still isnt that cumbersome though, its not like humping a c9 with a big rattly box attached. The laucher seems to fit well on the rifle and is quite comfortable to carry, but still heavy (by the way it was unloaded the whole time). The sling attaches to the back end like any c7 and there are two swivels on the middle fron end on either side of the launcher. When I carried it the fron swivel end was attached to the right side, the wrong side for righthander that I am so I didnt use the sling. As for durability being brand new to me I didnt want to bash it too hard so I‘ll need more field time to put it through its paces. The launcher did seem to be secured well to the forestock and didnt seem to rattle or come loose at all. Upon inspection and after asking the guys who were trained on it is only secured by a push pin just under the fron sight assembly and to the bottom handguard itself. It will be interesting to see how it holds up. As long as it can keep up and stay functioning for the most part I see the launcher as a positive addition to the section, for now. With 2 issued per sect at Alpha and Charlie with 2 C9, M67 and M72 and any other goodies we might have we are talking serious firepower at the section level. One thing thing I am not sure about is that as an indirect weapon it would have a min effective range. Judging by the sights on the weapon you aim to get the range, you do not sight the weapon on target. Would this limit the weapon in close quaters, dense foliage and FIBUA ? I was told not to expect any formal training till at least september. If anyone can provide accurate info, websites, tech specs, ammo types, and how the courses run it would be appreciated. To me the training should be offered by the units and during course much like the c9. A QL4 for this wouldnt make much sense. Again any info on this specific Canadian version would be appreciated and I am really curious to hear other comments :rocket:

PS. Dear taxpayer, thanks for the new grenade launcher :cdn:

Ah,

the line grunt with localized tools of mass destruction. The 203 requires some work up to get used to firing angles, ranges etc. Once that is done, yo mamma. ;)

In the event you ever (however unlikely) find yourself in the middle of it and no place to go, write the first round off as training, watch and shoot, get the idea of how it works and the rest is like a bike. First one is a charm, who doesn‘t remember that first ride without training wheels. :D

Ah, now I ‘m all warm and fuzzy :cool:

Get some (if you can) :warstory:

I do remember my first ride without training wheel. I took a nasty spill and got banged up pretty bad. Not a good sign :skull:

Uh oh, and then the great war god Odin created IA‘s and Stoppage’s, encased in kevlar. May the winds be calm and the target illuminated. :D

I have seen this bit of kit around in the news, and am aware it has been standard issue to SF such as the SAS for a number of years.

It is possible the version used on our C7 is also made by Diemaco, as they have an M203 on their website. It is called the M-203A1 on their website, and it replaces the lower handguard on the forestock of the C7. It allegedly fits all C7-family rifles (C7 and C8). It is rifled (6 lands, 1 turn in 1219mm), and has a quick-release pin for easy removal.

When I was looking at joining the res f two years ago, I was down at a recruiting night at the Queen‘s York Rangers... they had all their kit out on a table, and I asked if the CF was going to get M203 launchers for the C7, the guy said "I don‘t think so." -- well, ta da!

Can‘t wait till I get to try one out...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The M203 has been in service since 1969 (it‘s trials version used in SVN was the XM203) manufactured by some 12 different companies throughout the world.

If you want to use in it the indirect role, you use it in exactly the same technique as that used with the 60mm mortar when adapted for the spade base plate.

The M406 round that is pretty much standard nowadays, does not like being used in close quarters. Some countries use a canister round which is very effective, whilst a number of others use a WP round, which when used in the direct fire support role is superb.

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

Thanks Jock.

A little wakey to our troops that this isn‘t a new idea that our org has come up with, just catching up with the times so to speak.

:cdn:

Speaking of rounds:
The Russian GP-25 rounds can be used as hand grenades, which explode on contact. You just have to hit the primer, and throw (much like the Saving Private Ryan mortar round trick). This had to be done, in a case the round bounced off a hard target (i.e. a door) when fired from the launcher, at short distances (the round simply didn‘t have enough time to arm).

Can the NATO M203 HE rounds be used in a similar way?

Sir,

Is this a continuation of the ‘blank tracer‘ discussion?

If you ignite the primer - you ignite the propellent. Which according to the book will fire the weapons projectile 900-950 metres. So you can imagine what would happen to your hand and everything attached to it if this happened!

Yours,
Jock in SYdney

The 40mm round needs to rotate a certain number of times before it will detonate so that trick would not work.

Back