• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation: 1PPCLI, 1RCR & 3R22eR

Dirty Patricia

Inactive
Reaction score
Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation Announcement
September 23, 2010

Governor General Announces the Awarding of the Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation
OTTAWA—Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, announces that the Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation is awarded to the following three units:

1st Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group
Edmonton, Alberta
“For exceptional determination and courage during relentless combat in Afghanistan, from January to August 2006.”

1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group
Petawawa, Ontario
“For courageous and professional execution of duty in Afghanistan during August and September 2006 that prevented the capture of Kandahar City by insurgents.”

3rd Battalion Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group
Courcelette, Québec
“For outstanding courage and resolve while battling insurgents in Afghanistan, from July 2007 to February 2008.”

The Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation was created on July 3, 2002, to recognize outstanding service by units of the Canadian Forces under direct fire in times of conflict.

CITATIONS

Edmonton, Alberta

From January to August 2006, the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group was engaged in almost continuous combat with a well-prepared and determined insurgent force in Afghanistan. During 29 major operations, the flexibility and remarkable cohesion shown by members of the battle group enabled them to overcome many hardships to suppress Taliban activity, to secure coalition forces’ freedom of movement and to deliver humanitarian assistance throughout Kandahar province. The outstanding dedication and courage under fire displayed by these soldiers were instrumental in furthering peace and stability in this war-torn country.

Petawawa, Ontario

During August and September 2006, the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group played a decisive role in one of the largest ground combat operations in the history of NATO. Deployed to an area of Afghanistan with fierce enemy resistance and extremely difficult terrain, the members of the battle group resolutely defeated a well-coordinated insurgent force in the area surrounding Kandahar City. Succeeding where larger forces had failed, they prevented the enemy from realizing their goals of capturing the city and weakening international resolve and cohesion.

Courcelette, Québec

From July 2007 to February 2008, the 3rd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group displayed outstanding courage and resolve while battling insurgents in Afghanistan. Arriving at a difficult time for coalition forces, the members of the battle group worked aggressively to regain the initiative from the enemy. They were instrumental in dismantling improvised explosive device networks, re-capturing checkpoints and returning them to Afghan control, enhancing the capacity of Afghan forces and providing guidance on community building and local governance. Their unrelenting efforts expanded the coalition’s security presence and brought hope to the Afghan people.

http://gg.ca/document.aspx?id=13861

Governor General Announces the Awarding of the Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation
OTTAWA—Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, announces that the Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation is awarded to the following three units:

Edmonton, Alberta
    “For exceptional determination and courage during relentless combat in Afghanistan, from January to August 2006.”

Petawawa, Ontario
    “For courageous and professional execution of duty in Afghanistan during August and September 2006 that prevented the capture of Kandahar City by insurgents.”

Courcelette, Québec
    “For outstanding courage and resolve while battling insurgents in Afghanistan, from July 2007 to February 2008.”

The Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation was created on July 3, 2002, to recognize outstanding service by units of the Canadian Forces under direct fire in times of conflict.

The units’ full citations and additional information on this honour are attached.

- 30 -

Media information

Marie-Pierre Bélanger
Rideau Hall Press Office
613-998-9166
marie-pierre.belanger@gg.ca
www.gg.ca

Department of National Defence
Media Liaison Office
1-866-377-0811
613-996-2353
www.forces.gc.ca

CITATIONS

Edmonton, Alberta

From January to August 2006, the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group was engaged in almost continuous combat with a well-prepared and determined insurgent force in Afghanistan. During 29 major operations, the flexibility and remarkable cohesion shown by members of the battle group enabled them to overcome many hardships to suppress Taliban activity, to secure coalition forces’ freedom of movement and to deliver humanitarian assistance throughout Kandahar province. The outstanding dedication and courage under fire displayed by these soldiers were instrumental in furthering peace and stability in this war-torn country.

Petawawa, Ontario

During August and September 2006, the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group played a decisive role in one of the largest ground combat operations in the history of NATO. Deployed to an area of Afghanistan with fierce enemy resistance and extremely difficult terrain, the members of the battle group resolutely defeated a well-coordinated insurgent force in the area surrounding Kandahar City. Succeeding where larger forces had failed, they prevented the enemy from realizing their goals of capturing the city and weakening international resolve and cohesion.

Courcelette, Québec

From July 2007 to February 2008, the 3rd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group displayed outstanding courage and resolve while battling insurgents in Afghanistan. Arriving at a difficult time for coalition forces, the members of the battle group worked aggressively to regain the initiative from the enemy. They were instrumental in dismantling improvised explosive device networks, re-capturing checkpoints and returning them to Afghan control, enhancing the capacity of Afghan forces and providing guidance on community building and local governance. Their unrelenting efforts expanded the coalition’s security presence and brought hope to the Afghan people.

What's the insignia look like?
hon04-ccuc.jpg

More from the Backgrounder
COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF UNIT COMMENDATION BACKGROUNDER

The Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation may be awarded to any unit or sub-unit of the Canadian Forces, or to any similar organization of a foreign armed force working with or in conjunction with the Canadian Forces, that has performed an extraordinary deed or activity of a rare high standard in extremely hazardous circumstances. Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendations are restricted to war or war-like conditions in an active theatre of operations.

The Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation is composed of a scroll, insignia and pennant.

The framed gold-embossed scroll is inscribed with the name of the formation, unit or sub-unit concerned, bears an appropriate citation, and is signed by the governor general as the commander-in-chief of the Canadian Forces.

The insignia is a gold bar with the viceregal lion in full colour.

The accompanying pennant is a permanent symbol of the award and may be flown or displayed as a public distinction.

Congratulations to all 3 Battle Groups!! Well deserved.

Dirty Patricia said:
Petawawa, Ontario

http://gg.ca/document.aspx?id=13861

:salute:

Good to hear the units will be recognized for a job well done (all of them, not just the 1 RCR BG), but I have a question about this; is this citation for the Battle Group as a whole, as in everyone who was part of the BG would be awarded/entitled to wear the unit citation insignia, or is it being awarded to the Regular Force units which comprised the BG?  I only ask because there were quite a few reservists from all over, working in every aspect of the BG...  Just wondering who is entitled to wear the citation insignia.

This probably sounds like a petty or dumb question, but the period mentioned in the citation included the worst 3 days of my life and the hardest fighting the battle group had seen (that tour)... I'm really just happy to see the BG getting some recognition for it (a lot of promises were made to the troops - i.e CAB)

Anyway, good on all the units receiving citations.  :salute:

RHFC_piper said:
but I have a question about this; is this citation for the Battle Group as a whole, as in everyone who was part of the BG would be awarded/entitled to wear the unit citation insignia, or is it being awarded to the Regular Force units which comprised the BG?  I only ask because there were quite a few reservists from all over, working in every aspect of the BG...  Just wondering who is entitled to wear the citation insignia.

I'm going to have to ask my RSM on Monday about it. Where they draw the Battlegroup line is a big question. I spent my whole tour TACON to 3R22R BG, moving when they did and resting when they did, but my parent unit (not too sure) wasn't technically part of the BG, they belonged to JTFA.

Reservists should be entitled to this, you were a member of the unit at the time specified in the citation.

Piper

My understanding is if you were a member of the BG you will be entitled to wear the Unit Citation

Menion

Pretty sure as it is worded it would be just Battle Group

EDIT: missed a word

Ah, that's too bad I guess. I know the resupply convoys for the BG ran by NSE came in direct contact with enemy via ambushes, suicide bombings.

Off the GG website:

This can have a pretty broad context as to what outstanding service under direct fire can be. But let's not go down that road where people start comparing harships on tour.

I should have been more clear my apologies

NSE being it's own seperate entity would require them to get a C in C commendation but I do not know how that would work seeing as they are an adhox mish mash of trades and units an not on that is found on the standing order of battle.

This summer, members of DP 1.2 graduates going to 1 R 22e R were wearing the Commander in Chief Unit Commendation badge on their right pocket.  These guys wear it because it's an honour,I suppose, of the unit to which they belong, and members of that unit aren't individually receiving the commendation, but the unit is.  So, having said that, people such as RHFC_Piper would not get the commendation badge because they aren't serving in that unit right now.  Think of 2 PPCLI and their Presidential Citation (the "swimming pool").  Members of the unit wear it when they are serving with that unit.

If you were part of the unit during the period specified for the commendation you get to wear it for the rest of your career even if you are no longer part of the unit.  Using 2 PPCLI as an example, the unit was awarded the commendation for their actions in Croatia in 1993.  All members of that tour, regular force and reserve were awarded the commendation and continue to wear it even if they are no longer serving with 2 PPCLI.

dangerboy said:
If you were part of the unit during the period specified for the commendation you get to wear it for the rest of your career even if you are no longer part of the unit.  Using 2 PPCLI as an example, the unit was awarded the commendation for their actions in Croatia in 1993.  All members of that tour, regular force and reserve were awarded the commendation and continue to wear it even if they are no longer serving with 2 PPCLI.
Ah, that is useful info.  Thanks

Technoviking said:
This summer, members of DP 1.2 graduates going to 1 R 22e R were wearing the Commander in Chief Unit Commendation badge on their right pocket.  These guys wear it because it's an honour,I suppose, of the unit to which they belong, and members of that unit aren't individually receiving the commendation, but the unit is.  So, having said that, people such as RHFC_Piper would not get the commendation badge because they aren't serving in that unit right now.  Think of 2 PPCLI and their Presidential Citation (the "swimming pool").  Members of the unit wear it when they are serving with that unit.

Here's the crux of the issue; the citations are being issued to the Battle Groups as they existed during their tour, which technically ceased to exist as a "unit" once the tour was over.  Thus, the citations are technically being awarded to the members of all the units who participated (not the individual units... just the members who were there.) 

The citation for 2 PPCLI was issued to the entire unit as a whole, which still exists (since it's not comprised of several units). 

With this said; if I am incorrect, that means members of A Coy, 1 PPCLI, who were a part of the 1 RCR BG are also not entitled to the citation...  But, somehow, I doubt that's the case. 

RHFC_piper said:
With this said; if I am incorrect, that means members of A Coy, 1 PPCLI, who were a part of the 1 RCR BG are also not entitled to the citation...  But, somehow, I doubt that's the case.

Just to let you know, it was A Coy 2 PPCLI that was attached to the battle group.

I was a member of C Coy, 2 PPCLI attached to the 3 PPCLI BG during Op Apollo.  All members of C Coy were invited to the presentation and wear the Citation on there left DEU pocket to this day. I also wear the 2 PPCLI CinC Commendation for Medak above my right pocket, given that I was not there but am I serving member of 2 PPCLI.

If I am posted out of 2 PPCLI, I will remove the Citation for Medak, but am always entitled to wear the Citation for Apollo.

I was also with Dangerboy in 2006, so soon I will have two lower left, one upper right and a swimming pool to round things off. Too many things to lose at the mess...

It would have been better if they issued the citation for all units who participated in for example OP MEDUSA as that is what the 1RCR BG is getting their citation for. That would have ensured that some units/individuals who deserve it wouldn't have been excluded.

Back