• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comm Research

In keeping with the theme...

A colleague of mine has a daughter who is about to start Comm Research and we were talking about the wait for security clearances and the evils of being a PAT. 

Someone else in the office mentioned a series of four tutorial books on electronic warfare by Adamy, EW 101, 102, 103 and 104 and suggested that she might benefit from working through them before her QL3 course while marking time... if nothing else then they are trade related. Having never heard of these books, I took a look and was somewhat intrigued. Obviously we can not stray into the lane of much of what is on the QL3 Comms Research, but can anyone comment on the content and if it is useful for someone like her?

EW 101 covers:

IBasic Mathematical Concepts - dB Values and Equations.
The Link Equation for ALL EW Functions.
Link Issues in Practical EW Applications.
Relations in Sherical Triangles.
EW Applications of Spherical Trigonometry.
Antennas - Antenna Parameters and Definitions.
Types of Antennas.
Parameter Tradeoffs in Parabolic Antennas.
Phased Array Antennas.
Receivers - Crystal Video Receiver.
IFM Receiver.
Tuned Radio Frequency Receiver.
Superheterodyne Receiver.
Fixed Tuned Receiver.
Channelized Receiver.
Bragg Cell Receiver.
Compressive Receiver.
Digital Recievers.
Receiver Systems.
Receiver Sensitivity.
FM Sensitivity.
Digital Sensitivity.
EW Processing - Processing Tasks.
Determining Values of Parameters.
Deinterleaving.
Operator Interface.
Modern Aircraft Operator Interface.
Operator Interface in Tactical ESM Systems.
Search - Definitions and Parametric Constraints.
Narrowband Frequency Search Strategies.
The Signal Environment.
Look-Through.
LPI Signals - Low-Probability-of Intercept Signals.
Frequency-Hopping Signals. Chirp Signals.
Direct-Sequence Spread-Spectrum Signals.
Some Real-World Considerations.
Emitter Location - The Role of Emitter Location.
Emitter Location Geometry.
Emitter Location Accuracy.
Amplitude-Based Emitter Location.
Interferometer Direction Finding.
Interferometric DF Implementation.
Direction Finding Using the Doppler Principle.
Time of Arrival Emitter Location.
Jamming - Classifications of Jamming.
Jamming-to-Signal Ratio.
Burn-Through.
Cover Jamming.
Range Deceptive Jamming.
Inverse Gain Jamming.
AGC Jamming.
Velocity Gate Pull-Off.
Deceptive Techniques Against Monopulse Radars.
Decoys - Types of Decoys.
RCS and Reflected Power.
Passive Decoys.
Active Decoys.
Saturation Decoys.
Seduction Decoys.
Effective RCS Through an Engagement.
Simulation - Definitions.
Computer Simulation.
Engagement Scenario Model.
Operation Interface Simulation.
Practical Considerations in Operator Interface Simulation.
Emulation.
Antenna Emulation.
Receiver Emulation.
Threat Emulation.
Threat Antenna-Pattern Emulation.
Multiple-Signal Emulation.

Quite the list of stuff... only about 1/8th of which means anything to me...

Worth the time / effort for her to study pre-course while buying time for security clearance?

MC

Probably well worth it, understanding a signal means higher probability of intercept and better analysis. A lot of those concepts are covered on more advanced OSQs for both ACISS and Comm Rsch.

EW103 should be mandatory reading for anyone in any comms-related trade (they are all good, but radar and EO/IR EW is only needed by a few folks).

Of course, I actually remember plotting microwave shots by hand using nomograph paper back when I was on BSOC at CFSCE, so I might be biased in thinking that every Officer and Snr NCO ought to be able to do the same...

As far as utility goes...EW 103 will be relevant to a fairly small part of the DP1 (QL3) course, and will be overkill for that part, but it's still excellent learning that will pay off down the road.  And I think EW103 is the one that comes with the free EW slide-rule, which is just really cool...

MedCorps said:
In keeping with the theme...

A colleague of mine has a daughter who is about to start Comm Research and we were talking about the wait for security clearances and the evils of being a PAT. 

Someone else in the office mentioned a series of four tutorial books on electronic warfare by Adamy, EW 101, 102, 103 and 104 and suggested that she might benefit from working through them before her QL3 course while marking time...

My recommendation, watch office space. Pretty sure that movie is a documentary on the mothership.

OldCrow said:
EW103 should be mandatory reading for anyone in any comms-related trade (they are all good, but radar and EO/IR EW is only needed by a few folks).

Of course, I actually remember plotting microwave shots by hand using nomograph paper back when I was on BSOC at CFSCE, so I might be biased in thinking that every Officer and Snr NCO ought to be able to do the same...

As far as utility goes...EW 103 will be relevant to a fairly small part of the DP1 (QL3) course, and will be overkill for that part, but it's still excellent learning that will pay off down the road.  And I think EW103 is the one that comes with the free EW slide-rule, which is just really cool...

Do you have any thoughts on the value of this for AESOP?  The 101, etc.  We do BEW and then some further PD as ESM button-monkeys.  Unless we go to specific ground tours, our course options are basically BEW and AOEW at CFSAS.

Air Force?  You'd probably be better served by EW 101 and EW 102.  They both cover the entire spectrum of EW (pun intended), which means more Air Force-relevant material.  In particular, radar EW, comms EW conducted from airborne platforms, EO/IR and (in EW 101) the use of drones/simulators for training.

Also, once you get past BEW and AOEW, there are a couple of decent NATO EW courses at the SHAPE School in Oberammergau.  The NATO EW Ops Planner is quite good.

Eye In The Sky said:
Do you have any thoughts on the value of this for AESOP?  The 101, etc.  We do BEW and then some further PD as ESM button-monkeys.  Unless we go to specific ground tours, our course options are basically BEW and AOEW at CFSAS.

PuckChaser said:
Probably well worth it, understanding a signal means higher probability of intercept and better analysis. A lot of those concepts are covered on more advanced OSQs for both ACISS and Comm Rsch.

I think an easier and better professional development stance is: if you have the opportunity to learn (especially if it is free) take it and run. Perhaps you don't use 9/10th of the EW manuals... It still means you have a grasp that exceeds the standard and are on your way to mastering the standard!

Hi guys, I have applied for this trade and I'd like to know about some stuff. Please forgive me if the questions seem redundant, but here they are:

1. What are the chances of going to Kingston for training after BMQ-L? Should I expect to be PAT platoon before I get to training?
2. I read the MOSID for CommsRsch, why does it start at Cpl? So I need to get promoted to Cpl to be fully-trained?
3. Is it true that you either get posted to Kingston or Ottawa for this trade or you can be a CommsRsrch at CFB Wainright?
4. According to trade's MOSID, this is a rotating shift. I have never been on this type of shift, so how did you guys got used to it?
5. As described by my recruiter, is this trade really like James Bond? Or more like Claire Danes on Homeland without the bipolar?

Thanks in advance.

sailorprivateer said:
Hi guys, I have applied for this trade and I'd like to know about some stuff. Please forgive me if the questions seems redundant, but here they are:

1. What are the chances of going to Kingston for training after BMQ-L? Should I expect to be PAT platoon before I get to training?
2. I read the MOSID for CommsRsch, why does it start at Cpl? So I need to get promoted to Cpl to be fully-trained?
3. Is it true that you either get posted to Kingston or Ottawa for this trade or you can be a CommsRsrch at CFB Wainright?
4. According to trade's MOSID, this is a rotating shift. I have never been on this type of shift, so how did you guys got used to it?
5. As described by my recruiter, is this trade is like James Bond? Or more like Claire Danes on Homeland?

Thanks in advance.

I've been interested in applying for Comm. Research Operator as well, and here's what I know (or what I think I know).

1. I would assume you go there, after all - the Forces website says you have 45 weeks of training at CFSCE
2. I believe it's after training you get promoted to Cpl. The Forces page says a starting, fully-trained CommsRsch gets payed $49440/year
3. In the video on the Forces webpage, they say that they serve in all branches and go wherever needed.
4. Someone else can answer that
5. It is definitely a secretive trade. I mean, they have to get the highest security clearances, but I don't see how sitting in the middle of the forest intercepting radio transmissions could be "James Bond" type of work.

sailorprivateer said:
Hi guys, I have applied for this trade and I'd like to know about some stuff. Please forgive me if the questions seem redundant, but here they are:

5. As described by my recruiter, is this trade really like James Bond? Or more like Claire Danes on Homeland without the bipolar?

Thanks in advance.

1. 100% unless you get another task.
2. It doesn't start at Cpl, you start at Pte. Unfortunately due to clearance delays and training length most only serve a year or 2 as a Pte until they are promoted.
3. You're not going to Wainwright unless its on exercise. Majority is Kingston, Ottawa or a small handful of OUTCAN postings or ship postings on a coast.
4. Letrim works shift, Kingston does not. Someone that's actually done the grind of Letrim shifts can explain how they dealt with it.
5. If James Bond was a computer geek who sat in a metal box all day with no windows and constant hum of equipment, its completely like James Bond.

Jordan: I'd steer clear of offering opinion unless you're in the CAF or especially in the trade. That's very easily how people get messed up expectations because its a giant game of telephone where stories get stretched.

Jordan Mammoliti said:
I've been interested in applying for Comm. Research Operator as well, and here's what I know (or what I think I know).

1. I would assume you go there, after all - the Forces website says you have 45 weeks of training at CFSCE
2. I believe it's after training you get promoted to Cpl. The Forces page says a starting, fully-trained CommsRsch gets payed $49440/year
3. In the video on the Forces webpage, they say that they serve in all branches and go wherever needed.
4. Someone else can answer that
5. It is definitely a secretive trade. I mean, technically it's part of Intel, but I don't see how sitting in the middle of the forest intercepting radio transmissions could be "James Bond" type of work.
While they work closely with the Int branch they are not part of it. Comms Research is part of the C&E branch.

PuckChaser said:
2. It doesn't start at Cpl, you start at Pte. Unfortunately due to clearance delays and training length most only serve a year or 2 as a Pte until they are promoted.
Thanks for your response! So when you're all fully-trained and got the clearance, you're likely to be up for promotion by then, if I got it right?

4. Letrim works shift, Kingston does not. Someone that's actually done the grind of Letrim shifts can explain how they dealt with it.
I assume that you have never worked in CFS Leitrim? I was reading on other threads here that new CommsRsch members are sent there.

I don't mind it wherever I get posted if I were to get offered for the job. But it feels like Ottawa is more expensive when it comes to renting a basement or a studio apartment compared to Kingston. Plus, a single person in his 2nd or 3rd year in the service would barely be able to afford living there, IMO.

PS: My apologies for the late reply. I didn't get a notification for the thread response.

sailorprivateer said:
I don't mind it wherever I get posted if I were to get offered for the job. But it feels like Ottawa is more expensive when it comes to renting a basement or a studio apartment compared to Kingston. Plus, a single person in his 2nd or 3rd year in the service would barely be able to afford living there, IMO.

Leitrum is in the South of the city, so you can find a lot cheaper places to live, than in the heart of the city.  You can find places outside of Ottawa to the South that makes your commute easier and yet still close enough that you can get into the city when you want. 

sailorprivateer said:
Thanks for your response! So when you're all fully-trained and got the clearance, you're likely to be up for promotion by then, if I got it right?

Corporal is minimum 3 years service, but that's an accelerated promotion, maximum is 4 years service. Your promotion depends solely on your unit, and to be a Cpl you must at least have your DP1 (first course) completed. I have a friend who had to sign a new terms of service, because it took him almost 3 years to get his clearance so he could finish the training. Cpl is a mandatory promotion, but only after those 4 years and DP1 completion. If you get it early, its a bonus not an entitlement as a few people have found out.

You'll also never be "full trained". You have career courses to do at each rank level. The only person closest to "full trained" would be a CWO who has completed all training required of that rank, as that person is now at the pinnacle of their training.

You could be sent to Letrim or 21 EW in Kingston. Realistically those are your only 2 options after finishing your first course, and who goes where depends a lot on how many each unit gets from the course, its not a 50/50 thing.

SupersonicMax said:
3 years to get a clearance !  That's a waste of time and money...
Normally doesn't take that long but someone didn't do their job and submit the paperwork after the member submitted it.

I believe the average is around 1-1.5 years. Consider the ramifications of not properly vetting people who handle highly classified material on a daily basis. We can't afford another TRINTY incident.

PuckChaser said:
SupersonicMax said:
3 years to get a clearance !  That's a waste of time and money...

Normally doesn't take that long but someone didn't do their job and submit the paperwork after the member submitted it.

I believe the average is around 1-1.5 years. Consider the ramifications of not properly vetting people who handle highly classified material on a daily basis. We can't afford another TRINTY incident.

The other factor that many overlook is the Operational Tempo that CAF may be at at the time of submitting a request for a higher level of Clearance.  Training is at the bottom of the list when they need to get people out the door for Operations.

I know this is a 5-year old thread but I just want to ask people who are familiar with purple trade. I don't want to create a thread either.

I got an offer for Comm Rsch in the Navy and AFAIK I will not be doing BMQ-L but instead a Naval Environmental Training. My question is: if all goes right, I pass BMQ and then naval training, what's next? Farewell Esquimalt or Halifax? OR do I get to do another naval training here and there in either those places as my career progresses in the service? I just find it weird to not getting in touch with Navy after naval training.

sailorprivateer said:
I just want to ask people who are familiar with purple trade. I don't want to create a thread either.

No need to. There already is a Purple Trade mega-thread,

For reference, perhaps,

Purple trade recruiting

will be merged into,

Purple Trades: Definition & Trg Discussion 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/22558.250
11 pages.

sailorprivateer said:
I got an offer for Comm Rsch in the Navy

I believe you are familiar with this discussion,

Comm Research
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/78481/post-1473475.html#msg1473475
11 pages.

sailorprivateer said:

sailorprivateer said:
So when you're all fully-trained and got the clearance, you're likely to be up for promotion by then, if I got it right?
I assume that you have never worked in CFS Leitrim? I was reading on other threads here that new CommsRsch members are sent there.

Communications research operator navy?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/115109.0

See also,
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+purple&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=cfmoWIitMuOM8QfvkpCIAQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+comm+rsch

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Back