• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

comission from the ranks

R

RMC candidate

I wondered if anyone could tell me how does a soldier from the ranks becomes an officer.
How long do you have to be in the Army first?
Are there any tests or evalutations?
How difficult is it to be comissioned from the ranks?
What do you have to do once you‘re comissionned (any training or studies?)

Thanks!

CFR is the hardest way to become an officer, IMHO. There are other methods for NCMs to become officers, such as UTPNCM or OCTP, and for a select few, DEO.

Well, I‘m not familiar with any of thoses terms...
What are those different process?

Originally posted by RMC candidate:
[qb]Well, I‘m not familiar with any of thoses terms...
What are those different process?[/qb]
I believe OCTP is the Officer Candidate Training Program, and DEO was Direct Entry Officer program.

OCTP, I think, requires that you are enrolled in university studies, and DEO requires that you already have a degree, IIRC.

I have no clue what the other abbreviation was.

It is my intention to CFR (commission from the ranks) at some point down the road during my military career, assuming it is long enough.

Is it possible for a NCM to become officer without having a degree?

Yes it is possible. UTPNCM (University Training Program for Non Commissioned Members) allows a NCM to go to university full time and do phase trg and SLT (Second Language Training) during the summer breaks. No matter what, all officers are to have a degree at some point in their carreer. :cdn:

Is it difficult to be accepted in the UTPNCM for someone who had poor grades in high school?

Thank you for your answers!

OCTP was for entry directly as an officer (restricted to combat arms, I believe), without a degree. I‘m not sure whether it exists today -- several leadership reviews have come out strongly in favour of requiring all officers to have degrees. Indeed, there is growing support here - and evidenced to be in practice in the US - for post-grad for senior officers.

I would think that if your high school marks were poor, the best way to improve your selection options would be to take some highly relevant college courses - university courses if you can get admitted - and to achieve excellent marks on them. This will show dedication to the cause.

The other element in the plan would be to take any and all officer professional development courses that you can - used to be called OPDP (Officer Professional Development Program). I assume these exist, or some comparable replacement. Take them in order, one at a time, and make sure you do well.

Together, these two academic options can go a long way to erasing youthful mistakes and showing you are prepared for the rigours of UTPM (i.e., attending university as an officer cadet after having been in the ranks).

Additionally, you want to show that you have leadership potential - volunteer for leadership opportunities, get your courses, take Jr Ldr, etc.

IMHO, this is the route for an NCM to become an officer, and possibly the only way for a civilian to become one if they can‘t get selected directly. It is a difficult path to take, and there is no guarantee that you will ever be commissioned.

If you can be selected directly, and you know you want to be an officer, I think it is much better to do so, rather than doing a few years in the ranks first. Be aware, though, that poor high school marks probably undermine recruitment under ROTP - the plan you would attend RMC under.

Well, I was asking for a friend who would like to become an infantrie officer, but his grades are poor... and he isn‘t really interested in going in a civilian university.

I knew I could get good information by asking on this board! :)

Thanks a lot!!

Just a joke but is your friend prepared to get a lobotomy? LOL Seriously though, if he waits to CFR it could be a loooonnnggg time!

On a side note, CFR (Commission from the Ranks) is not something you apply for.  You are RECOMMENDED by your unit CO or your supervisor up through the Chain of Command.  Even after that, there is still no guarantee that you will get the commission because you end up in competition with all the other CFR recommendations from across the forces, specific to your occupation.  At one time, minimum rank was Sgt, but they will now accept MCpl's under exceptional circumstances.

Jungle said:
Yes it is possible. UTPNCM (University Training Program for Non Commissioned Members) allows a NCM to go to university full time and do phase trg and SLT (Second Language Training) during the summer breaks. No matter what, all officers are to have a degree at some point in their carreer.  :cdn:

This is not correct, CFR's do not require a degree even after they become officers.  However, to be competitive and be promoted past Capt/Maj if you have enough time left, a degree would help. 

The program for an NCM with a degree to get a commission is called SCP or Special Commissioning Plan.

Back