• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coming back Class A after retirement in the reserves

Stoker

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
When you retire and take your pension in the reserves under the RFPP after a long full time career, has anyone heard of anyone trying to come back on a Class A basis? It seems to me there is a wasted pool of talent that would come back a few class A days a month after they retired from the reserves full time.
Is this even possible under the rules?

If you retire as a Reservist, you cannot come back and draw class A pay.  Your pension entitlement begins on release.  If you re-enroll, your pension ceases once you are paid for even one half day, until you either (a) release again or (b) go one year without being paid.

dapaterson said:
If you retire as a Reservist, you cannot come back and draw class A pay.  Your pension entitlement begins on release.  If you re-enroll, your pension ceases once you are paid for even one half day, until you either (a) release again or (b) go one year without being paid.

Are you 100% on that? Or perhaps it's a new thing I"m not aware of? There are several retirees in my Bn who draw pension and are on class "A" service. My understanding, and theirs, is that they lose pension payments if they accept class "B" or "C" contracts only.

-NSDreamer

dapaterson said:

We figured as much, however never heard of anyone actually trying as most who retire hit CRA first. Too bad we don't have that option as the annuitants do, I wonder will that ever change. I know some who would love to retire and keep active even for a few training nights a week.

NSDreamer said:
Are you 100% on that? Or perhaps it's a new thing I"m not aware of? There are several retirees in my Bn who draw pension and are on class "A" service. My understanding, and theirs, is that they lose pension payments if they accept class "B" or "C" contracts only.

-NSDreamer

I think those pers are former regular force members, as reservists we are unfortunately not allowed to do that. It should work both ways in my opinion but it doesn't.

Chief Stoker said:
I think those pers are former regular force members, as reservists we are unfortunately not allowed to do that. It should work both ways in my opinion but it doesn't.

Ack, makes sense in a way I guess. Otherwise people would retire as soon as eligable then immediately re-enroll for a payraise hike  :(

NSDreamer said:
Ack, makes sense in a way I guess. Otherwise people would retire as soon as eligable then immediately re-enroll for a payraise hike  :(

Yes but if they limited service only to Class A or a finite amount of Class B or C would be fair. I see no difference than the new rules that the annuitants are now currently under.

For light reading, go through the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act, and the related Superannuation Regulations and the Reserve Force Pension Regulations.  Close to 200 pages of dense legal and technical explanations of how things work.

The Supplementary Reserve is clearly not an option for those who have long service in the Reserve. My understanding is that if you go to the Supp Res on retirement, you have to wait for one year time without any Cf revenue before you touch your pension. If you come back on class A, you stop receiving your pension and start contributing again..

Therefore there is no incentive to go to the Supp Res on release for a reservist. My take on it and as said above, great talent and knowledge is wasted. The reason for the existence of the Supp is amongst other things to have access to talent if needed.. :-[

Hornblower said:
The Supplementary Reserve is clearly not an option for those who have long service in the Reserve. My understanding is that if you go to the Supp Res on retirement, you have to wait for one year time without any Cf revenue before you touch your pension. If you come back on class A, you stop receiving your pension and start contributing again..

Therefore there is no incentive to go to the Supp Res on release for a reservist. My take on it and as said above, great talent and knowledge is wasted. The reason for the existence of the Supp is amongst other things to have access to talent if needed.. :-[

Yes it is a shame, I would love to support my home unit after I retire. It should be no difference than a annuitant being allowed to work Class B/C up until a certain point before they have to contribute again, but I guess that's the rules.

If you were still on Cl A strength, you're taking up a position and possibly a rank so no one else can get promoted into it, just so you can work a few days a month. Maybe that person has been waiting for you to retire so they can get promoted, and they've demonstrated the capacity and will to work 2 nights a week and any weekends.

PuckChaser said:
If you were still on Cl A strength, you're taking up a position and possibly a rank so no one else can get promoted into it, just so you can work a few days a month. Maybe that person has been waiting for you to retire so they can get promoted, and they've demonstrated the capacity and will to work 2 nights a week and any weekends.

Positions are not a problem since we have hundreds that are open and can't be filled along with promotions, some of our units are understrength by 50%. We can also shift positions to one unit to another, as we do now to employ annuitants who only want to do class A and retain their experience. I agree that I wouldn't want to take anything away from someone getting promoted however I hold a qualification that only 20 other people hold in the entire naval reserve and I could be very useful to my home unit when I finally pull the pin.
Who knows what the future will hold, but its a shame really that no allowances have been made to retain reserve retirees on a limited service basis as we have done to the regular force.

Back