• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Support Company?

Marauder

Inactive
Reaction score
Given that Cmbt Spt Coy must have died with the Pioneers and Mortars getting canked, and anti-armour went away some time ago, where does Recce PL now reside? And is the Support PL concept just an LFRR abberation or is this resident in RegF BNs?

The Combat Support Companies comprise of the following:
Recce Platoon
Sniper Platoon
Signals Platoon

That is all.  Carry on.

(still angry: I want me friggin' mortars back!!!)
:crybaby:

von Garvin said:
The Combat Support Companies comprise of the following:
Recce Platoon
Sniper Platoon
Signals Platoon

That is all. 
That is not all, as not all BNs have a Sniper Platoon. Some have a DFS Platoon, or a Weapons Platoon.

paracowboy said:
That is not all, as not all BNs have a Sniper Platoon. Some have a DFS Platoon, or a Weapons Platoon.
For the Mech Bns, the combat support coy is as I listed, I believe.  I thought that the DFS platoons were part of the light inf coys?

Dazes and confused in Gagetown..... :p

I know that 3 VP has a Weapons Pl ans 3 RCR still has a Direct Fire Support Pl evn though each Light Coy is supposed to have a Weapons Pl. I don't know if 3 R22eR has one or not.

Cheers

The online establishment browser is the army’s electronic TO&E; it reflects the authorized organization.  It show equipment (vehicles by ECC & ACC), the organization (but is not always accurate as to how a unit has itself organized because each Bn & Bde puts a bit of its own stamp/spin on the organization), and PYs.  Your DCO is probably the guy that works with this (though I’ve seen other odd positions responsible).

Methinks Pioneers will be back sooner rather than later...

PPCLI Guy said:
Methinks Pioneers will be back sooner rather than later...

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose....

Lessons learned will prove that perhpas many parts of Combat Support Coy should be stood back up.

HitorMiss said:
Lessons learned will prove that perhpas many parts of Combat Support Coy should be stood back up.

If that includes Mortar Platoon, I dare say that everyone on here, even Wes "over there", will hear me scream for joy  :D

I would argue for the mortars first and foremost, but not at the expense of the guns.  If it is a "zero-sum" game in terms of contingent size, what do we eliminate to bring the mortars back?

I would advocate attaching them to companies for most operations, leaving the guns to support the main effort.  I worked with a US army company that had mortars attached directly and they were very handy.

2Bravo said:
I would argue for the mortars first and foremost, but not at the expense of the guns.  If it is a "zero-sum" game in terms of contingent size, what do we eliminate to bring the mortars back?

I would advocate attaching them to companies for most operations, leaving the guns to support the main effort.  I worked with a US army company that had mortars attached directly and they were very handy.
It's not a zero-sum game, because we actually lost it when the mortars went to the gunners.  Before, it would be mortars AND whatever the guns could give.  Now it's whatever the guns can give.
Giving mortars back as a battalion asset, and then assigned down as needed by the CO (which was done before), would do a few things.
(a)  Offset the zero-increase in Arty PYs by allowing them to focus on big guns, UAV, etc etc (THIS is the big reason, in my opinion)
(b)  Probably increase the indirect fire support avail IF PROPERLY DONE.  EG: avoiding the mindset of "they have their mortars now, we don't need 155", which is BS. 

While I am all for bringing back the Combat Support Company in all its glory (including mortars), I think Recce and perhaps the snipers would be better located with HQ Coy, so the commander can have these assets at his finger tips, so to speak. The Int cell could be co located with the Recce Pl to process stuff faster as well.

Just some speculation on my part.

a_majoor said:
The Int cell could be co located with the Recce Pl to process stuff faster as well.
The Bn is not using resources appropriately if Recce Pl is the only feed going to the Int guys.  They belong with the Bn Ops guys.

MCG said:
The Bn is not using resources appropriately if Recce Pl is the only feed going to the Int guys.  They belong with the Bn Ops guys.

I'd go a step further...they should form the core of an expanded all-source cell at unit level, which would, in turn, be a "node" or "spoke" or whatever of the formation level all-source organization.  I agree that recce pl is far from the only feed, but I'd argue that the information management and analysis component of unit HQ needs to be beefed up, simply because of the volume of information coming from all sorts of different sensors both inside and outside the unit.

Back